Would Sydney be tempted to tank?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't happen of course, but they should be playing all matches in the final round simultaneously.
It's the only way to ensure a team can't play for a loss.

Breakeven for Hawthorn to finish 1st

Sydney Richmond
70 94
71 95
72 96
73 96
74 97
75 98
76 98
77 99
78 100
79 101
80 101
81 102
82 103
83 103
84 104
85 105
86 106
87 106
88 107
89 108
90 108
91 109
92 110
93 111
94 111
95 112
96 113
97 113
98 114
99 115
100 116

Won't happen of course, but they should be playing all matches in the final round simultaneously.
It's the only way to ensure a team can't play for a loss.

No it doesn't. If all games were played simultaneously and Essendon fancied its chances against Fremantle and Port Adelaide more than North, it could have taken a dive against Carlton.

Are there any examples that people can think of, where a finals-bound team lost a dubious game and received a favourable outcome with its finals fixture as a result? No? Well, then since it's pretty clear Sydney isn't tanking, how about we keep things the way they are?

No it doesn't. If all games were played simultaneously and Essendon fancied its chances against Fremantle and Port Adelaide more than North, it could have taken a dive against Carlton.

Are there any examples that people can think of, where a finals-bound team lost a dubious game and received a favourable outcome with its finals fixture as a result? No? Well, then since it's pretty clear Sydney isn't tanking, how about we keep things the way they are?

I know what you are saying, but on the basis of probability, there would be less chances of tanking to influence week 1 match ups if you played all games at once.

I know what you are saying, but on the basis of probability, there would be less chances of tanking to influence week 1 match ups if you played all games at once.

It's never been an issue, as far as I can remember, it certainly doesn't look like it's an issue today (judging by the intensity in all three games so far) and if Geelong is even thinking of doing it, it deserves everything it gets. I don't know about anyone else, but the only way I could be enjoying this marathon of footy today any more is if Carlton v Essendon had started at midday.

If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it.

Well, they lost but not by enough to finish 2nd. Expect Geelong to put Brisbane to the sword.

I still find this thread to be pretty ******* funny. Richmond, 8 wins in a row, must be favourites, against a team that's won 16 of their last 17, narrowly going down to the Hawks at the MCG.

Yes of course, I see the logic, a team that was equal bottom 9 weeks ago, against the premiership favourites, and team that will most likely finish top. How obvious, Richmond must of course win this.

dunno_original.jpg
CERTIFIED LEGENDARY POST

The planet where we lost to gws in round 1 and looked awful up until the freo game. The swans times their pre season so that their fitness peaked in the latter half of the year . The opposite approach to port who threw everything they had into the first half of the year and have stumbled ever since
Great to see we beat a team that timed their fitness peak for the latter half of the year, like right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha I forgot we are celebrating the coronation of Richmond. Seriously does any other team carry on like tiges for simply being in the last spot of the top top half of the league
We were bottom of the ladder, the laughing stock of the lead, and just won 9 in a row, including beating you on your home soil in a hard slog to sneak into the finals. Sorry for being a little pumped up about this.

I thought this was the reason we were supporters?

We were bottom of the ladder, the laughing stock of the lead, and just won 9 in a row, including beating you on your home soil in a hard slog to sneak into the finals. Sorry for being a little pumped up about this.

I thought this was the reason we were supporters?

Yer be pumped but be realistic, if we meet in the finals the result will be vastly different

Richmond players get suspensions, if it was goodes or franklin that did what vickory or conca did, it would be "insufficent" . Please, the whole of australia knows the afl is buying the swans the flag. Please dont watch rugby! Pleeeease.

Its pathetic and driving people away. 23 rounds in, how many swans have been suspended??? ZERO!!. Not one. Yet the mrp dog house clubs, freo/north/cats/port cop suspensions for far less than what any swan can get away with.

Oh and did top 4 last year sydney play ALL the top 4 teams from last year twice this year? Thats a very big no. They only played hawks twice and LOST away, add two more losses to freo at patersons and geelong at skilled ( you know a fair draw) and they are barely top 4.

Afl manipulate, manipulate, manipulate. And if they look like getting beat first week, then expect a mass free kick count buddys and tippets way, while ignoring the blatant highs, and holding the balls the swans commit the other way. Cant have the swans play an away pre lim and lose....dat rugby!!

Concuss a player like buddy did to charlie cameron and you eat 3 weeks, oh its insufficent. Clearly elbow the head goodes style, oh its ok sir its insuffuficent. Ill take my team losing to a team playing out their skins and accept it. Not this bullshit, where the flag is already decided.

You sound like you need a hug princess

They rested franklin

They play rubbish footy for three quarters

They made stupid stupid errors

Close enough to tanking today by Sydney.

They had an eye next week

They really didn't try that hard , even after goals the enthusiasm around the goal kickers was muted ....almost non plussed

I understand that, but having a dig at the swans when they did every possible favour for Richmond is a bit rich. I mean horse put a first year midfielder in the ruck against IMO the most physical ruckman in the league bar mumford
Oh, as soon as I saw that I knew we had a huge advantage and we took advantage of it in the first 20 mins. Sydney also lacked defensive pressure in that time and we punished you. Since that point of the first quarter, if you watched the game you can't deny Sydney significantly raised the bar and went all in for the win. That is why we are pumped, because Sydney came back at as hard and we stuck it out and ground out a win.

It's been a long period of disappointment and seeing our team
Show a steely resolve is very exciting.

They rested franklin

They really didn't try that hard , even after goals the enthusiasm around the goal kickers was muted ....almost non plussed

Need a hug?

Need a hug?

Nah mate ...all good with a few cold becks beers

Not bagging your mob who were great tonight

But swans played there worst game of the year bar the gws game in round 1 .....

And they lost by 3 points.....

They didn't tank but they really didn't care if they won or lost.

Breakeven for Hawthorn to finish 1st

Sydney Richmond
70 94
71 95
72 96
73 96
74 97
75 98
76 98
77 99
78 100
79 101
80 101
81 102
82 103
83 103
84 104
85 105
86 106
87 106
88 107
89 108
90 108
91 109
92 110
93 111
94 111
95 112
96 113
97 113
98 114
99 115
100 116

mister-bean-exam-o.gif

They rested franklin

They caused WC supporters like you to cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back