Would you watch NTFL on TV during Summer?

Would you watch NTFL during the summer months/AFL off season?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We get a game a week up here on ABC..but this is being canned next year. Stupid ABC.

While the NTFL isn't comparable to the VFL, SANFL, WAFL its quite refreshing to watch. The style of play is far more free flowing and entertaining.

Unlike the rolling maul that some AFL games have become north end footy is quite open and for mine more entertaining.

When it was broadcast into footy states (on ABC2 from memory) who watched it?
I watched every St Marys and every Tiwi game, and if I wasn't doing anything I'd watch some of the others.

When the digital TV first started footy coverage was awesome on the ABC2, with (- i think it was) Friday night WAFL and Saturday night SANFL replays and wrap shows that I enjoyed. I distinctly remember watching a few Glenelg games to get a look at Bryce Gibbs to see what the fuss was about.

Listen to the 5:30 Saturday games on phone (Tune in, ABC Darwin is what to look for. It's a 7PM start in the Daylight Savings states), watched a lot when ABC had the replays on. Actually thought about heading up to have a crack myself but am now retired and too old/slow for it anyway.

ABC is canning a heap of stuff not out of stupidity but because the Abbott Government hates public broadcasting.

Serious???

The annual budget has been cut by approx 5%. Would love to know how much it cost to broadcast NTFL..couldn't be that much. Real shame as its one of the very few local programs we get up here.

Obviously the head of the ABC doesn't rate sport..could have easily canned one of its stupid dramas that no one ever watches..instead they chose to can the NTFL. Also if it wasn't getting into a stupid bidding war with the SBS over the Asian Cup..gotta love that one!..maybe there would be enough money to go around. Its all about choices.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need a geography lesson :p

Apologies for sounding like a smart arse campaigner.

I've played up in the north of WA before and we played during the southern winter/northern dry season. It does seem a little strange to be playing in the middle of the stinking hot wet season.

Is it because cricket uses the ovals during the dry to avoid the wet season or something?

I've played up north before and we played during the southern winter/northern dry season. It does seem a little strange to be playing in the middle of the stinking hot wet season.

Is it because cricket uses the ovals during the dry to avoid the wet season or something?
When playing in Darwin and either Cairns or Broome is suffering a cat 3 cyclone the weather here is amazing while playing football
Kinda like Geelong Vs Port NAB CUP in 06 I think

When playing in Darwin and either Cairns or Broome is suffering a cat 3 cyclone the weather here is amazing while playing football
Kinda like Geelong Vs Port NAB CUP in 06 I think

You're obviously a local, why do they play at this time of the year?

And does local cricket also play this time of the year?

You're obviously a local, why do they play at this time of the year?

And does local cricket also play this time of the year?
Cricket I have absolutely no idea about I've tried to learn it on C9 but couldn't understand it properly.
As for footy
The Northern Territory Football League chose to play in the Northern Territory's 'wet season', primarily due to hard playing surfaces during the 'dry season'. Most other leagues in Australia operate during the winter, but since the Territory does not have a winter, it is played at different times.

But hey I'm not complaining it goes from October to Feburary that's the off-season in the AFL.

Serious???

The annual budget has been cut by approx 5%. Would love to know how much it cost to broadcast NTFL..couldn't be that much. Real shame as its one of the very few local programs we get up here.

Obviously the head of the ABC doesn't rate sport..could have easily canned one of its stupid dramas that no one ever watches..instead they chose to can the NTFL. Also if it wasn't getting into a stupid bidding war with the SBS over the Asian Cup..gotta love that one!..maybe there would be enough money to go around. Its all about choices.
Those dramas all have more viewers than the NTFL.

They had to cut programming. Daytime was an obvious choice.

Outside broadcasts cost a decent amount of money to do well. The ABC has ceased broadcasting all its State leagues as of 2015, and Network Seven (through 7Mate, I think) have picked up the rights to broadcast the VFL and SANFL (and maybe WAFL? I'm not sure) from 2015 onwards. Given the pressure on the ABC's budget, it was an easy cut to make.

I'd give the NTFL a go. Outside the test matches, cricket does little for me and I have zero interest in tennis. I'll occasionally watch the Friday night A-league games but I don't go to the A-league nor watch it on pay-tv.

Those dramas all have more viewers than the NTFL.

They had to cut programming. Daytime was an obvious choice.

Fair call.

The flip side is that it's the public broadcaster so ratings matter less so. The fact that it is being taken off the air is especially disappointing as apart from the news/730 report its the only show produced in the territory.

A fair proportion of NTFL lists are made up of players from remote communities. In the Tiwi Bomber case almost 100%. These telecasts are major events in many remote communities who get to watch their local heroes play in the 'big smoke'.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that cutting some midday drama doesn't really effect anyones life…up here cutting the footy will actually have a negative impact although it would be obviously hard to quantify. Many places up here don't have much in the week to look forward to apart from footy. To put in into perspective if the AFL was cut from free too air we would all be pretty devastated. Same goes for the NTFL up here.

That said we are pretty used of people down south making decisions in the best interests of Territorians!

Back