Votes: 67 57.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is part 2 of this thread.

PART 3 IS HERE --- >
Go there for your Pangolin-rich experience /\

in late 2019 and early jan, there was still the belief this was just minor and isolated. hospital numbers in wuhan were not insane, and people hadn't figured out the 14 day asymptomatic infection period yet.

leading into chinese new year, this was changing. cases were bobbing up outside wuhan, and wuhan was beginning to crank up.

when the wall went up shutting down wuhan, my wife's city was shut down shortly after (not full wuhan lockdown, but akin to our stage 4)

So why was it not already in all other provinces?
It simply doesn't make sense.

It should have been too late to close Wuhan, just as it was too late to stop travel from Europe to the USA.

So why was it not already in all other provinces?
It simply doesn't make sense.

It should have been too late to close Wuhan, just as it was too late to stop travel from Europe to the USA.

Firstly we actually don't know when it was. Noone was looking for it, and if it was elsewhere in small numbers it probably was recorded as something else.

Secondly they didn't shut down Wuhan, they shut down most cities. This was done for two reasons.

They had to control it, and that meant identifying who had it and quarantining them. Everyone (and I mean the literal everyone) in Wuhan was tested multiple times. If you tested positive, you were taken to quarantine by force.

The intent of this was to burn it out, to attempt to get as close to elimination as possible.

The next reason was China's cities have huge migrant labour populations. The assumption was it had escaped to the other cities, which is why they were locked down.

The other cities were saved imo because of CNY (people go home across China at this time) and a lot of factories remained closed after it, and the brutality of the lockdown outside china. People were dragged away by cops for not wearing a mask, being on the road without cause, or having symptoms and being outside.

The brutality of his was something we could never do here, but it stopped the virus dead because social interactions effectively ceased.

We need Stage 4 restrictions here in Melbourne and everyone needs to be locked down with a tightening on what is classified as an essential service. The NZ example was good and they got it spot on. Unless you work in a hospital / chemist or supermarket and/or providing the goods for the shelves we need to live on you should be staying home and that means closing all construction sites domestic / civil and commercial as social distancing is impossible and i know because i work in the industry.

This 2nd wave now hitting in the middle of Winter which is also when the virus thrives which could see us in a really bad way much worse than where we are currently.

I just hope Daniel Andrews has the balls to call it and save lives and it only needs to be for about 3 weeks and NZ did it for 17 days and eradicated the virus within a month going from Stage 4 restrictions to then 3 / 2 and so on.

Stage 4 won't happen I reckon. Just empty threats from the government to try and make everyone pull their head in. When the media say that Dan Andrews has not ruled it out, it's just to drum up hysteria which they obviously thrive on.

We need Stage 4 restrictions here in Melbourne and everyone needs to be locked down with a tightening on what is classified as an essential service. The NZ example was good and they got it spot on. Unless you work in a hospital / chemist or supermarket and/or providing the goods for the shelves we need to live on you should be staying home and that means closing all construction sites domestic / civil and commercial as social distancing is impossible and i know because i work in the industry.

This 2nd wave now hitting in the middle of Winter which is also when the virus thrives which could see us in a really bad way much worse than where we are currently.

I just hope Daniel Andrews has the balls to call it and save lives and it only needs to be for about 3 weeks and NZ did it for 17 days and eradicated the virus within a month going from Stage 4 restrictions to then 3 / 2 and so on.

You have no clue how things work.

Someones toilet backs up, are you really advocating that they cannot call a plumber?
The machines at a food processing factory break, they really can't call contractors.
Doctors and Nurses need their car to run.
Mechanics will not be on standby for odd occasions when a doctor or nurse needs them.

Industry in other states need supplies from Victoria.

The important thing is to stop those who have it from spreading it. A normal lockdown should work.

THE VIRUS CANNOT JUMP TWO METERS JUST TO INFECT YOU.

Take for example City of Casey.
Now almost 30 active cases.
You are going to lock down 299970 people , so they don't go near those thirty?

Trace and isolate.

I have been going to work. I have not gone within a meter of anyone. What is the risk?

How are you going to police your lock down, you saw the situation with the commission flats?

If it is impossible like you say, close down that worksite. Don't close down places where its possible.

California now joining other American States in rolling back reopening. Expect more to follow. Mugged by reality.

California was the first state to lockdown. How did that work out for them?

Andrews is doing the right thing. In hindsight he should’ve done it a week sooner.

The definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

If it is impossible like you say, close down that worksite. Don't close down places where its possible.

Its one thing to shut down night clubs, bars, churches, gyms and high risk places but another entirely to shut down parks, beaches, golf courses, small shops etc where the risk of transmission is extremely low. Wont save lives but will destroy them. Madness.

California was the first state to lockdown. How did that work out for them?

California made the same mistake Texas, Florida and Arizona did. Opened things too fast, too soon. The Republican Trump supporting governor of Texas admitted as much. So they went from being well placed to being right up against it.

The same thing is being blamed for the recent surge in Israel.

Ah yes. This old chestnut.

Where do you reckon the money came from to bail out the banks who were insolvent in 2008. It was literally stroked into existence on a computer screen. You think hard working taxpayers bailed out the fat cats at Goldman Sachs and the like?

Sniper on the roof....hyperinflation....hit the deck.

Okay please share which AUSTRALIAN banks were insolvent in 2008?

The guarantee provided in this country was NOT FREE, simple KRudd money making exercise, we had to shell out $200 million to save face dickhead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Taiwan didn't lockdown in a strict way.

Yes, I think he stuffed that up.

Taiwan’s COVID-19 success story offers a control protocol that combines an existing surveillance system for flu-like disease symptoms, experience with SARS controls and no strict lockdowns.

Yes, I think he stuffed that up.

Taiwan’s COVID-19 success story offers a control protocol that combines an existing surveillance system for flu-like disease symptoms, experience with SARS controls and no strict lockdowns.
The risk there is, Aussies may not be capable of the responsible behaviours demonstrated by the Taiwanese.

I thought Taiwan didn't lockdown in a strict way.
Sorry Korea was the one. They closed schools again after a second wave around late May/early June. Numbers improved after second lockdown

Sorry Korea was the one. They closed schools again after a second wave around late May/early June. Numbers improved after second lockdown

They didnt shut much at all.

South Korea has reimplemented preventative measures in the capital Seoul following the biggest spike of new coronavirus infections in nearly two months.

Museums, parks, and art galleries will all be closed again from Friday for two weeks, health minister Park Neung-hoo said.

"I think I made a mistake."

I'm sceptical of this story. A nurse claims that they made this emotional admission immediately prior to death... so they ripped out their ventilator at the last minute to deliver some clickbait final words?

If the global economy can't sustain a few months of a slowdown in spending then it raises the question whether that particular economic system was designed correctly in the first place.
Designed?
Agreed designed is not the right word. Evolved and allowed to develop in the way it has would have been a better turn of phrase. But the gist is still the same.

Australia is up against it now.

This virus is insidious.

We took our foot off the throat when we had it on the ropes. And now it appears to have seeded across Melbourne, and Sydney is on the precipice.

I see SE-Queesland coming under sustained attack in the next week or two as travellers from interstate continue to spread and incubate.

Australia is up against it now.

This virus is insidious.

We took our foot off the throat when we had it on the ropes. And now it appears to have seeded across Melbourne, and Sydney is on the precipice.

I see SE-Queesland coming under sustained attack in the next week or two as travellers from interstate continue to spread and incubate.

COVID is like a reverse of On the Beach, if you know the great book and films.

Virus is seeping north, rather than radiation seeping south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back