WWE Royal Rumble, Sunday 28th January 2024, 12pm AEDT (pre-show at 11am)

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally got a chance to watch this - I used to watch a bit but now I only tune in once a year for the Rumble. So my thoughts below might have some ridiculously silly sounding things in because I'm always a year out of the loop.

Quick thoughts:
Overall I felt like it was a good event. They kept it simple with 4 matches and three of them were at least good or better.

Women's Rumble - Pretty cool and Bayley was a great winner. Loved that they didn't get a bunch of past stars and they actually got in TNA stars like Jordynne Grace and called them TNA stars (as opposed to calling her Grace Jordans like they used to). I've not seen much of Jade Cargill but know of her reputation and she is a genetic freak, but it was disappointing for her to get protected lying in the corner so soon after coming in - I wanted to see what she was made of. Piper + Chelsea combo was probably the best part of the rumble for me. The worst part was Michael Cole's commentary. The constant talk of "this is a record", "that is a record" is just so annoying.

Roman Reigns gets 3 guys fed to him so he looks super strong match - * me this was bad. It was just so bad. The point of a good Fatal 4 way is to have lots of different dynamics between the 4 wrestlers involved. Each one should represent a legitimate threat. This was a 3 vs 1 match against a guy who has held the title 3 years, was there ever any point where anybody looked any chance of doing anything other than being used to get Roman Reigns over?

Logan vs Kevin - Match of the night for me; I'd hope they give these two a re-match at WM with extreme rules or something similar. Logan Paul is seriously incredible every time I've seen him for a kid so green. Steen couldn't be a better opponent; they are perfect for each other. I love so many little things about Logan - like on the way out he goes out of his way to give a kid something to make his night... and you ask the question, why is a heel doing face s**t like that? And the answer, is that Logan is a heel who is delusional enough to think he's a face. The ending was predictable enough but it left you wanting more and there is probably no better compliment of a feud than that.

Men's Rumble - Certainly more serious than usual and I think it worked. I think if you're going to go with the ultra-predictable outcome of Punk vs Rhodes being in the final 2, then you have to make sure they have good stories, and can actually both work and I felt like both of these things were true. The only downside I saw was the incredibly stupid new thing of "I'm gonna say something in to the camera now so that you know I'm about to lose". Just why.... stop that immediately.

Meltzer ratings:
Women's RR: 3 stars
Reigns vs Orton vs Styles vs Knight: 3 stars
Paul vs KO: 3.5 stars
Men's RR: 4.25 stars
------------------------
I guess we were watching different shows?

Also much of the online consensus (that I read) seemed to be the Women's RR was better, but the Observer subscribers who sent feedback had the Men's RR as best match and Women's RR as worst match.

anyway, it's all subjective and really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of life.

Meltzer ratings:
Women's RR: 3 stars
Reigns vs Orton vs Styles vs Knight: 3 stars
Paul vs KO: 3.5 stars
Men's RR: 4.25 stars
------------------------
I guess we were watching different shows?

Also much of the online consensus (that I read) seemed to be the Women's RR was better, but the Observer subscribers who sent feedback had the Men's RR as best match and Women's RR as worst match.

anyway, it's all subjective and really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of life.
I thought the women's RR was better, though neither was great. At least with the women's they seemed able to pull off some entertaining spots, and while there were few surprise entrants or returns, at least they did have Jordynne Grace and Naomi. Moreover, I find Bayley winning feeding into the breakup of Damage CTRL to actually be more interesting than Cody winning back to back, which had been massively telegraphed throughout the broadcast.

The men's RR was heatless. The crowd didn't seem to care very much, and while the exposure to the prior Rumble may have contributed to crowd lethargy, I also don't think much was done to bring them back. It was a very by-the-numbers match without a lot of creative or noteworhy spots and none of the cameos or returns that we've come to expect from Rumble matches. Moreover, Cody winning was predictable. It also didn't help how bad Punk looked at the end, as that really hurt the tension of the final few minutes.

It illustrates again Meltzer's declining standards commensurate with star ratings. Consider that he gave the 2004 RR match 3.75 stars, which is undoubtedly a far, far superior Rumble match to the 2024 one. 2007 was another good one that he gave just 4 stars too. As Rumble matches rarely rate all that highly, a 4.25 would indicate one of the best and most memorable of all time, but it absolutely was not that.

I think Meltzer knows where his bread is buttered, he mixes legit takes with those that he know will engage people online. Zero chance he thought the men's rumble was better than women's.

Just an opinion and good for a laugh or discussion though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back