WWE Royal Rumble, Sunday 28th January 2024, 12pm AEDT (pre-show at 11am)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know about the reaction to the match itself, but last year the talk was about the Sami turn and some degree of unpredictability on whether they'd capitalise on his over-ness.

I think the problem they have is that the Wrestlemania main events have been set ever since Punk return, and they're trying to sell us about five months worth of filler to get to that conclusion.

Without Cody's mania title shot on the line, what on earth stakes does Elimination Chamber have now?

That is a huge part of the problem. Back before the internet/dirt sheets and betting odds. the matches for Wrestlemania were not as known, before the Royal Rumble. It’s a part of the problem. Back in 2005 where Cena and Batista “won” they were both over, both destined to win their respective belts, but you had no real clue as to who was going to win. On smackdown Cena had been built up for a while, JBL had the belt for a long time, on Raw was HHH holding the belt and evolution.

Another example is the John Cena injury return, it wasn’t ruined by book makers or the dirt sheets trying to one up themselves. The best Rumbles are the ones where it is a total surprise, currently every year, there is a kofi spot, some one lasting less than 5 seconds, having an Ironman effort, a build up so a certain wrestler can clear the ring. A winner that everyone knows is more likely to win, as it’s been posted about numerous times what the main event of Wrestlemania is going to be. This has really been a thing since Cena vs the Rock 1, where the following day after that Wrestlemania it was already being built up as the main event of the following Wrestlemania.

so take away the suspense and the anticipation and replace it with predictable outcomes, the event itself becomes obsolete.

That is a huge part of the problem. Back before the internet/dirt sheets and betting odds. the matches for Wrestlemania were not as known, before the Royal Rumble. It’s a part of the problem. Back in 2005 where Cena and Batista “won” they were both over, both destined to win their respective belts, but you had no real clue as to who was going to win. On smackdown Cena had been built up for a while, JBL had the belt for a long time, on Raw was HHH holding the belt and evolution.

Another example is the John Cena injury return, it wasn’t ruined by book makers or the dirt sheets trying to one up themselves. The best Rumbles are the ones where it is a total surprise, currently every year, there is a kofi spot, some one lasting less than 5 seconds, having an Ironman effort, a build up so a certain wrestler can clear the ring. A winner that everyone knows is more likely to win, as it’s been posted about numerous times what the main event of Wrestlemania is going to be. This has really been a thing since Cena vs the Rock 1, where the following day after that Wrestlemania it was already being built up as the main event of the following Wrestlemania.

so take away the suspense and the anticipation and replace it with predictable outcomes, the event itself becomes obsolete.

Even without accounting for dirt sheets, I don't think they were as necessarily fixed on one outcome as far ahead in time as they are now. Think about the peak years.

1999- the WWF title changes hands between Rock and Mankind repeatedly in the lead in to Wrestlemania. If Foley's book was to be believed there was consideration backstage about making it a triple threat, with some trying to get Foley vs Austin. Vince wins the royal rumble, and Austin has to win the title shot back (but the match was always going to include him).

2000- after the screwy rumble finish we end up with the fatal four way match, delaying the Rock / Triple H main event match

2001- Austin / Rock in hindsight was the obvious match up, but the title changed hands at No Way Out the month before. From a few months back after the it was conceivable that a Triple H / Austin main event could have occurred given the run down / broken neck story.

2002- Jericho won the UD title when almost no one predicted it, I doubt most thought he was retaining vs Rock at rumble and Austin at NWO. Frankly, in hindsight, he probably shouldn't have- Austin / Triple H was probably a better match up, but I digress.

Now not only do we have one match up that is obvious, inevitable, and fixed with little that can change in the mean time but two of them and really including the womens titles four. We're spending far far too much time where nothing meaningful can happen. Treading water booking.

I mean, you have four world titles to play with these days, and you can't find a way to book uncertainty with respect to a single one of them for a stadium show four weeks before wrestlemania? Not a single one of them has any real doubt hanging over them?

Heck, even the midcard titles feel like they're just passing time.

Even without accounting for dirt sheets, I don't think they were as necessarily fixed on one outcome as far ahead in time as they are now. Think about the peak years.

1999- the WWF title changes hands between Rock and Mankind repeatedly in the lead in to Wrestlemania. If Foley's book was to be believed there was consideration backstage about making it a triple threat, with some trying to get Foley vs Austin. Vince wins the royal rumble, and Austin has to win the title shot back (but the match was always going to include him).

2000- after the screwy rumble finish we end up with the fatal four way match, delaying the Rock / Triple H main event match

2001- Austin / Rock in hindsight was the obvious match up, but the title changed hands at No Way Out the month before. From a few months back after the it was conceivable that a Triple H / Austin main event could have occurred given the run down / broken neck story.

2002- Jericho won the UD title when almost no one predicted it, I doubt most thought he was retaining vs Rock at rumble and Austin at NWO. Frankly, in hindsight, he probably shouldn't have- Austin / Triple H was probably a better match up, but I digress.

Now not only do we have one match up that is obvious, inevitable, and fixed with little that can change in the mean time but two of them and really including the womens titles four. We're spending far far too much time where nothing meaningful can happen. Treading water booking.

the unpredictability factor has been missing for a long time, long fields, build ups can be great at times. Take Hogan vs Savage at Wrestlemania 5 for example. The build up really started at Wrestlemania 4, with Hogan helping Savage to win the title. The little Easter eggs were planted throughout the year in subtleness. You had Jesse the Body dropping hints on commentary, you had Savage starring death rays at Hogan, when ever Hogan got too close to Elizabeth, Hogan inadvertly eliminating savage in the royal rumble but the final trigger was a month out before Wrestlemania where Savage attacked Hogan, setting the match up perfectly.

unfortunately now it’s known 6 months out who is facing who, as they have lost sight of that Particular aspect of story telling.

the unpredictability factor has been missing for a long time, long fields, build ups can be great at times. Take Hogan vs Savage at Wrestlemania 5 for example. The build up really started at Wrestlemania 4, with Hogan helping Savage to win the title. The little Easter eggs were planted throughout the year in subtleness. You had Jesse the Body dropping hints on commentary, you had Savage starring death rays at Hogan, when ever Hogan got too close to Elizabeth, Hogan inadvertly eliminating savage in the royal rumble but the final trigger was a month out before Wrestlemania where Savage attacked Hogan, setting the match up perfectly.

unfortunately now it’s known 6 months out who is facing who, as they have lost sight of that Particular aspect of story telling.

They were also running less shows back then too.

They certainly wouldnt have had the hubris to run a stadium show the month before Wrestlemania with absolutely no advancement on the mega powers on offer.

Last edited:
Going to Elimination Chamber in Perth and starting to feel concerned it’s going to be a complete filler show.
The two chamber matches should be good regardless.
I think there will be an Paul v Owens rematch at EC.
I'm hoping something happens at EC with Gunther whereby he drops the IC title. They need to push Gunther into a main title picture. Before that main event push, i like to see Gunther v Lesnar at WM.

depends who they have lined up as challengers/feuds. so often we see a wrestler have the big moment, and then it's a total fizzer after that.
We do but thinking about it this time it's just a tough spot to be in. This is where he (or whichever baby face was to win) really needs Roman to challenge again and be foiled in the next PLE or two. Or Punk goes full blooded heel arsehole to challenge him.

Otherwise following a heel champion of 3.5 years then depending against what people see as inferior heels in matches we know full well Cody won't lose is a bad spot.

I feel he legit hurt his back lifting McIntrye the first time. No way it was just being gassed
Meltzer speculating he may have injured his triceps/shoulder also.

But part of it could also be him being tired and gassed. He is 45 and hardly wrestled lately. He's just not in the swing of it and having to go for a while in a royal rumble was always going to tough for him ring rust and stamina wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The two chamber matches should be good regardless.
I think there will be an Paul v Owens rematch at EC.
I'm hoping something happens at EC with Gunther whereby he drops the IC title. They need to push Gunther into a main title picture. Before that main event push, i like to see Gunther v Lesnar at WM.

There won’t be anything with Gunther he can’t leave USA until after mania it’s to do with visa and citizenship.

Meltzer speculating he may have injured his triceps/shoulder also.

But part of it could also be him being tired and gassed. He is 45 and hardly wrestled lately. He's just not in the swing of it and having to go for a while in a royal rumble was always going to tough for him ring rust and stamina wise.

He looked to be grabbing his Tri and trying to shake out his arm. Referees seemed to be talking to him in the corner and radioing the back

2 Rumble matches on the same night is a drainer.

I’ve gone back and watched it again due to having a day off but the women’s was better and after seeing one rumble it’s so hard to get up for another one.

I said it yesterday but with battle royals it’s hard to make them look good I don’t care what you say. It’s the countdown clock anticipation and theme music hitting that makes the Rumble the only part that’s exciting.

If the men’s had of gone first I think people would feel differently about it.

Couple of things they should have done was just have Roman defend against 1 and have say Styles , LA and KO in the rumble itself.

The four way was just another way for people to hate Roman and want this thing ended at Mania asap but the part that hurts is why wouldn’t the OC come out and do what the Bloodline do…

The Rumble itself - hated the McAfee spot, just put another normal wrestler in. The Kross and Lashley spot has been done to death but they should have done that different. Easily solution was have Bobby at 1 Kross comes out at 2 with AOP. They surround the ring get in and attack Bobby, profits come running out, chaos and Bobby and Kross go over the ropes at the same time.
Buzzer goes off Jey at 3, Jimmy at 4 then have Sami come out at 5 with the 3 of them in the ring together given the story over the past 2 years would hAve been a better reaction for Sami.

Would have made the last 6 entrants Punk Drew LA Styles KO and Gunther in any order but could have had those 6 and Cody as the last lot in and it would have been stacked.

Couple of other small things that annoy me and I don’t like is Omos barely sighted for months but gets used in the Rumble, Jinder just had a world title match and wasn’t even in there.

Could have used Waller and Theory better and since they didn’t have KO in the Rumble he could have come out and kicked their asses and they get thrown out by someone like Cody or Punk ( Seeing as though they essentially cost him the match).

I’ve seen worse rumbles but it just wasn’t the best because I think it was rumble fatigue and like I said multi man matches / interference before it made it even harder to get into.

Hmmm maybe some lesser known wrestlers might = a better show? I'm somehow trying to convince myself of this.

Either way the Chamber matches should be fun at a minimum.

I don't think that's what they're giving us. I think they're giving us Logan Paul's pale Roman imitation overbooked s**t.

Hmmm maybe some lesser known wrestlers might = a better show? I'm somehow trying to convince myself of this.

Either way the Chamber matches should be fun at a minimum.

I would have thought chamber matches are kind of a bum deal for the live audience, would end up having to watch on the big screen regardless.

I would have thought chamber matches are kind of a bum deal for the live audience, would end up having to watch on the big screen regardless.

And more particularly, chambers are likely interesting when there's some uncertainty about outcomes.

Might've been more interesting if they'd vacated Seth's title and put it up in the chamber tbh.

Bit of room to move when you've got superstars like Foley, Austin, Rock, Jericho, and Triple H in the mix.
Angle, Benoit, Undertaker, Michaels. Few lesser lights (IMO) Edge, Cena, Batista.

Despite a million titles, twenty weekly TV shows etc. talent seems a bit light, hard not to telegraph what's coming up I guess.
I'm only a very casual fan though.

Bit of room to move when you've got superstars like Foley, Austin, Rock, Jericho, and Triple H in the mix.
Angle, Benoit, Undertaker, Michaels. Few lesser lights (IMO) Edge, Cena, Batista.

Despite a million titles, twenty weekly TV shows etc. talent seems a bit light, hard not to telegraph what's coming up I guess.
I'm only a very casual fan though.

Well, eventually, but leading into 99 it wasn't really all that stacked based upon where talents were to that point. Mankind had main evented in a pinch, but only really became a bonafide main event star / championship contender at Survivor Series '98. The Rock had little main event experience by that time.

I'm not sure that there are guys that couldn't add some intrigue, if the scene was more open. Guys like Sami, Jey, Drew, Orton could add some genuine uncertainty if they booked it that way.

Wasn’t Pat Patterson the brains behind booking of the Rumbles ever since he thought up the idea? Maybe no coincidence they haven’t been as good since his passing? Just a thought.

Rewatched the men’s Rumble today (thank god for RDO’s) and yeah it wasn’t great. But probably not as bad as the s**t canning it’s received.

It definitely suffers having two Rumbles on the one show. Ideas have to be split and peoples attentions need to double.

The Fatal 4 Way needed to be first, and the losing 3 needed to be in the Rumble to up the star power. I also can’t believe they made their main title match the traditional piss break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back