Draft Watcher Young Talent Time - A 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Chris

Fantastic job as always, been meaning to jump on here.

I noticed you rate Kamdyn McIntosh quite low. I actually saw him play a couple senior games for peel thunder while I was on holidays a month or so ago. Very impressive for an 18 year old, got a lot of the ball. I thought he would be a lot higher up. Did he not impress in the U18 championships?

Hey Chris

Fantastic job as always, been meaning to jump on here.

I noticed you rate Kamdyn McIntosh quite low. I actually saw him play a couple senior games for peel thunder while I was on holidays a month or so ago. Very impressive for an 18 year old, got a lot of the ball. I thought he would be a lot higher up. Did he not impress in the U18 championships?

I rated him very highly coming into the season - he was my 5th highest rated KPD. But he had a slow start to the year, and wasn't overly impressive in the Championships - solid, but nothing special really. Coupled with a relatively small frame, that saw him drop down in my ratings. But, late season has seen him rise back up in my eyes.

His senior games for Peel were probably the best games he played at any level this year, so you picked a good time to watch him. I'm still thinking third/fourth round, but before I had him more as a rookie prospect.

Gutted that we're missing out on Lonergan now in your mock draft, Chris! I hope that Nathan Wright has a good inside game! ;)

We picked up Clay as well, so that's another tick in the right box. Did you see him in the champs? Did he look any bigger than 191cm/82kg?

Gutted that we're missing out on Lonergan now in your mock draft, Chris! I hope that Nathan Wright has a good inside game! ;)

We picked up Clay as well, so that's another tick in the right box. Did you see him in the champs? Did he look any bigger than 191cm/82kg?

I'm confident that Wright will develop in that area, although at first he'll be more of a rebounding back flanker. But the Suns obviously picked him with the belief that Pongracic would be available in the third round. Which worked out well for them. :p

I meant to change the Clay Cameron selection, now that he has been picked up. I'm still updating some of the later round profiles, so I'll edit him out eventually. He isn't a really big KPP - 192cm isn't bad at all, not considering his jump and overall athletic ability. But until he fills out a bit more and gets closer to that 90kg mark, he will look a little small. He didn't have a great Championships, but he was hampered by injury. So you can't judge him too much on that. What he has shown when he is fit though, is worth every bit a top 30 selection.

hey chris love your work. I know this is your mock draft and all but do you honestly see GWS taking Stringer at 3? i would kill for toumpas to drop to 4th so we would snatch him up but i dont see it happening. You also have Wines a bit higher up whereas most melbourne fans want to take him at 4. Thoughts?

Makes sense. Certainly still seems a bit lean. Nothing a pre-season or two won't fix!

To be honest, I don't know much about Pongracic at all. First I've ever really come across his name. Looks like he at least has some good attributes, given your summary of him there.

General consensus on BigFooty has Pongracic as being a second round pick, think he'd be a good pick up for the Suns if he lasted to the third round. If they were to miss out on Lonergan, then I would probably be targeting the likes of Pongracic, Graham, Carter and Lowrie. Think they could all have success as stronger body inside midfielders. And Boston of course.

Also, considering the name Spencer White has been mentioned on like 5 boards in the space of 10 minutes, I take it people saw the article? Welcome to the bandwagon, I've been feeling a little lonely. :p

hey chris love your work. I know this is your mock draft and all but do you honestly see GWS taking Stringer at 3? i would kill for toumpas to drop to 4th so we would snatch him up but i dont see it happening. You also have Wines a bit higher up whereas most melbourne fans want to take him at 4. Thoughts?

I would take him at #3 if I were GWS. Toumpas is a great player, but he is very similar to what they already have. So I'd be looking for something a little different. And despite the obvious talent they have, Stringer could potentially be their most dominant midfielder in a few years time. He could be their Adam Goodes - as in, having the ability to turn a game up forward or in the midfield. But like I said a few pages ago, if I were predicting the draft, I would have Stringer in the 10-20 range. And he will likely drop if GWS trade their early picks away.

As for Wines, I really like him and I think he'll be a very good, long term player for whatever club takes him (fairly sure Melbourne will take him at #4). But I also think everyone I have going ahead of him are better prospects, and also that Melbourne would be in a position to take someone different with a higher ceiling given they're getting Viney (like a Sam Mayes). Wines just looks like a solid player to me, not that that is a bad thing.

I'm slowly getting all the profiles updated. The top 50 are now done, as well as a few other South Australians (Lienert, DeMatteis, Irra).

Hi Chris.

As one of the more respected & knowledgeable posters, could you provide profiles for the following players i.e. strengths, weaknesses, are they worthy of drafting? No hurry of course :).

Many thanks.

South Fremantle:
Matthew OLIVIERI
John SGHERZA
Jayden WOODS
Dale HAMILTON
Sam RUNDLE

Claremont:
Alistair GILLESPIE
Mitchell McGOVERN
Mackenzie MORGAN
Jordan SCANLON
Benjamin TAYLOR

East Perth:
Nick KOMMER

Peel Thunder:
Corey FISH

Perth:
Joel KALAJZIC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mackenzie Morgan is the only one on your list worth a look in. Was solid at the U16 Champs but did his ACL when he was 17. Made his return late this year with Claremont and was eased back into it. Is versatile and smart, could be a very good rookie option.

I'm surprised there is so little talk about Jake Neade from NT and Rebels. I have seen a lot of St Pats footy over the past four years, and the only players I would rate above Neade potential wise would be the Crouch brothers.

He has pace, agility, great skills and goal kicking. He also has that special 'Cyril Rioli' trait that when the opposition have the ball, they look around to make sure Neade isn't the one chasing them. Also made the AA team so he does get noticed, yet still doesn't make many phantom drafts. He could be considered a risk because of his size but it's not like a half forward/ forward pocket has to be overly big.

In order of the St Pats kids this year I would go

Tanner Smith
Michael Close
Nick Rippon (Severely underrated)
Jake Neade
Martin Gleeson
Dom Barry

If Barry can get onto an AFL list and Jake Neade can't it will come as a massive shock to me.

If Barry can get onto an AFL list and Jake Neade can't it will come as a massive shock to me.

Without seeing them play to be able to form my own opinion, I'd say that if you are right, it does show the importance of testing well at the combine. AFL clubs put maybe an overemphasis on it, particularly when it comes to guys from peripheral states or territories like Tas, NT, NSW, and QLD, because of the difficulty of comparing their playing ability with kids from more competitive states like Vic, SA, and WA. Athletic ability is easily quantifiable.

Hi Chris.

As one of the more respected & knowledgeable posters, could you provide profiles for the following players i.e. strengths, weaknesses, are they worthy of drafting? No hurry of course :).

That might need to wait until I'm less busy. But I'd say they would be all be rookies at best - which is where the new rookie list rules may have an impact. With teams allowed fewer rookies next year, more players are going to miss out completely. I'd think Hamilton, Rundle and Morgan would be most likely to get picked, with Scanlon an outside chance.

I'm surprised there is so little talk about Jake Neade from NT and Rebels. I have seen a lot of St Pats footy over the past four years, and the only players I would rate above Neade potential wise would be the Crouch brothers.

In order of the St Pats kids this year I would go

Tanner Smith
Michael Close
Nick Rippon (Severely underrated)
Jake Neade
Martin Gleeson
Dom Barry

I do quite like Neade, as short as he may be. There has been a fair bit of talk saying that GWS will sign him as a zone selection, and keep him for themselves. If it turns out that doesn't happen, I'll likely slot him into my draft somewhere.

As for Rippon, he just strikes me as that type of player who will consistently be one of his teams best performers but will get looked over regardless for a perceived lack of upside and elite qualities. For me, he'd be a rookie option despite his season this year. Could easily be one of those players who will make the recruiters look silly for overlooking him.

Hi Chris,

Great read, really enjoyed it. Small question..Hawks at Pick 27 ..would you choose Matthew Haynes or Dean Towers ?

Cheers

Hi Chris whats Brodie Grundy's attitude like? As Ive seen his tweet and appears to be good kid. Do you think he could be a captain at GWS?

@brodiegrundy
I am raising money for childhood cancer by cycling 70km on Nov.4 Please RT, all proceeds to childhood cancer association. PM me to donate :)

Damn compensation picks, I have to update every single number after pick 13? :mad:

Hi Chris,

Great read, really enjoyed it. Small question..Hawks at Pick 27 ..would you choose Matthew Haynes or Dean Towers ?

Hmm, tough choice.

Towers would be a much more immediate option, he could probably push for selection in the second half of next year. Whereas Haynes is realistically going to be a couple of years off challenging for a spot. But then again, Towers is quite similar to Isaac Smith. Both Towers and Haynes have the height, speed and skills you'd be looking for in an outside midfielder. So you probably can't go wrong with either.

Considering you'll be in the GF picture, then Towers might be the better option though.

Hi Chris whats Brodie Grundy's attitude like? As Ive seen his tweet and appears to be good kid. Do you think he could be a captain at GWS?

Well, I've never heard of anyone having a bad word to say about him.

Damn compensation picks, I have to update every single number after pick 13? :mad:

Hmm, tough choice.

Towers would be a much more immediate option, he could probably push for selection in the second half of next year. Whereas Haynes is realistically going to be a couple of years off challenging for a spot. But then again, Towers is quite similar to Isaac Smith. Both Towers and Haynes have the height, speed and skills you'd be looking for in an outside midfielder. So you probably can't go wrong with either.

Considering you'll be in the GF picture, then Towers might be the better option though.

Well, I've never heard of anyone having a bad word to say about him.

Thanks, Chris. With our window still 'open' I think you maybe right with Towers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back