Your 10 most important players

JP83

Senior List
Feb 23, 2004
adelaide
Other Teams
P.A.F.C
Rate our players in terms of their importance to the side.

1 Tredrea
2 Cornes
3 Brogan
4 James
5 Wilson
6 P.Burgoyne
7 K.Cornes
8 Pickett
9 S.Burgoyne
10 Wanganeen

Tredrea is obviously the most important as he provides an avenue to goal. He kicks goals and assists many.
Cornes has brought life to our defence and is responsible for many of our attacks.
Brogan because of his ability to play a kick behind the play and his ability to feed our onballers
James for his toughness in and under
Wilson for his agression, flexibility and direct style of play.
P.Burgoyne because he provides the majority of run in our midfield and has arguably the best skills.
K.Cornes for his ability to shut down the oppoistions best whilst still having a ball winning influence
Pickett is important because he presence gives our players a lift and opposition players are worried by him
S.Burgoyne because of the flexibility he provides to the coach and his ability to play will in each area of the ground
Wanganeen because he's wanganeen

Interesting one to do. By ten most important I'm taking it as ten most important for a flag THIS year. That also doesn't necessarily mean the ten best players. Some positions are more important then others. So given those cavets my list is :

Most important - worth a ladder position each at least IMO:
1. Tredrea
2. C. Cornes
The two hardest positions on the ground - sure others have potential, but these are AA (Tredders 4 times) in their positions.

Very important - midfield and backline class and grunt respectively:
3. R. James
4. Wilson

Important
5. K. Cornes - will step up again this year to be our 2nd best midfielder after James (Francou needs time to get back to top form)
6. Brogan - will be no. 1 ruck on our list if in top form
7. Bishop - covers all, but the gorilla FB's well
8. Pickett - class and without him looking very light on for hardness minus Carr and Hardwick, till someone like Surjan can be an 'enforcer'
9. Wanganeen - down back or up forward - all class
10. S. Burgoyne - same as Wanga's - though not as good of course!

Unlucky - Lade, P. Burgoyne

ok lets waste some time, my wife just walked in and saw the opening comment and said "that is stateing the obvious"

1 Tredrea
2 C.Cornes
3 Primus
4 James
5 Wilson
6 P Burgoyne
7 Wanganeen
8 K Cornes
9 Pickett
10 Dew

1. Tredrea
2. R. James -- experience, character and skill
3. M. Wilson -- see above
4. C. Cornes -- rock solid rebounding defender
5. K. Cornes -- rock solid with aggro
6. D. Brogan -- who else does this job?
7. P. Burgoyne -- can be the engine
8. B. Pickett -- always busy and effective
9. D. Cassisi -- will shore up the midfield
10. J. Surjan -- Our future enforcer, inside man, goalsneak, receiver and rock star!

Kills me not to get S. Burgoyne in there. As for the other obvious omission, Sir Gav is in a category of his own, so doesn't need to be on this list.

10.....only Ten, the whole dam team is important. Each have there own job to do, every 22 put out there each week should be our best 22, giving their best.

Just remember, we are a CHAMPION TEAM.....not a team of Champions!!

PortProudWA said:
Just remember, we are a CHAMPION TEAM.....not a team of Champions!!
Good point but there are always those games when you hear of that late withdrawal and you think bugger he is going to be a miss so given that here is my 10.

1. Warren Tredrea - Best CHF in the league, gets the hardest defender from the opposition and if he isn't winning his position he normally takes two opposition players with him so he always frees up another one of his players.

2. Roger James - Always plays hard in the centre and is a ball magnet, you really notice it when he isn't there and games like that against St Kilda in the finals tells you why he is rated so highly.

3. Gavin Wanganeen - Mr Versatility, he is all class whether kicking goals up forward or stopping a small defender like Phil Matera from kicking half a dozen goals.

4. Peter Burgoyne - Although he can do some stupid things at times there are a lot of things he does right, people only seem to concentrate on the stupid things. In the Grand Final you can see exactly what he can do with the ball, he is good with hand and foot and knows how to find gaps running out of a pack when most other players would have died on the ground. I don't think I need to go on about the space he creates with his great pace.

5. Kane Cornes - Really becoming a player, able to give all the niggle needed while also getting enough of the ball himself and damaging the opposition. I see a lot of Josh Car in him and given another year he will probably appear at number 2 on my list which is where I would have listed Josh Carr had he stayed.

6. Brett Montgomery - Being listed above Chad Cornes might surprise some but I think he frees Chad up a bit. Chad isn't half as good if we don't have a good small defender who is able to mark as well.

7. Chad Cornes - Not a true Centre Half Back but what he does is effective but is best when accompanied with the likes of Brett Montgomery.

8. Michael Wilson - Tough player who has no care for his own well being, makes opposition players look over their shoulder.

9. Matthew Bishop - Tall defender who has pace to burn, him missing from the side really changes our backline setup especially against sides with pacy tall forwards. Wakelin can't match them and Chad isn't able to play his normal floating tall backline position, could almost put him in front of Chad for importance.

10. Brendon Lade - I think he is the best of the ruckmen mostly because he is a ruckman that can go forward and his ruck taps to some of our forwards in 2004 were just breath taking.

Couldn't list Primus and Francou for obvious reasons, hopefully next year.

Back