1996 Counterfactual

Remove this Banner Ad

From AFL '96 book. Those in bold eventually came back.

Adelaide
Greg Anderson
Troy Bond
David Brown
Brett Chalmers
Scott Hodges

Andrew McLeod
Simon Tregenza

Brisbane - none

Carlton
Craig Bradley

Collingwood
Nathan Buckley

Essendon
Che Cockatoo-Collins
Gavin Wanganeen

Fitzroy
Jason Ramsey ??? Selected in 1995 PSD

Footscray none

Fremantle
David Hynes
Clive Waterhouse

Geelong none
Hawthorn none

Melbourne
David Cockatoo-Collins
Donald Cockatoo-Collins
Andrew Obst
Trent Ormond-Allen

North Melbourne none
Richmond none

St Kilda
Darryl Wakelin
Shane Wakelin

Sydney none

West Coast
Shane Bond
Brayden Lyle

At the time there was also Bradley, Troy Bond, Tregenza, Chalmers, Hynes i think, Cockatoo Collins x 3, Ramsay, Hull, Olsen (cant recall if he went over to Collingwood or not)

Troy Hull was pick 101 by Sydney in 1992 never played a league game.
Troy Olsen was pick 120 by Collingwood in 1992 and he never played a league game.

Man that would have been an awsome squad if they had all come back. Macca, Buckley, Bradley, Waterhouse, Wakelins, Bond and the Cocky's all in 1997, we would have made the finals that year rather than miss out on Percentage I rekon.

I was going to ask about Brayden Lyle but see his name has now been listed. He went to west Coast in 1995. Did he play seniors with us, or at a more junior level?

Yep he certainly did play a bit for the Magpies before going over to the WCE. A bit in the centre and also in the back pocket i think.

B: Gavin Wanganeen ~ Darryl Wakelin ~ Shane Wakelin
HB: Andrew McLeod ~ Darren Mead~Shane Bond
C: Greg Anderson ~ Michael Wilson ~ Fabian Francis
HF: Peter Burgoyne ~ Warren Tredrea ~ Andrew Obst
F: Che Cockatoo-Collins ~ Scott Hodges ~ Clive Waterhouse
R: Brett Chalmers ~ Craig Bradley ~ Nathan Buckley,

Byron Pickett ~ Bryan Bienke ~ Stephen Carter, , David Brown, Simon Tregenza, Tim Ginever, Darryl Borlase, Darryl Poole, David Hynes, , Trent Ormond-Allen. Nigel Fiegert, Troy Bond, Brayden Lyle

Just a quick team made up of names that have been mentioned above
Looking pretty good i reckon
Imagine the run out of the backline with wangas, bond and mcleod whilst still having the three dour tall defenders
Ruck is probably the weak point
Pooly prob would have played more chf than tredders at that stage but it looks so much better with tredders there

I'd love to a similar list from 1990, on top of our premiership team from that year. ;)

Brisbane
Martin Leslie
** Note both Ben Harris and Mark Williams started the year at Brisbane but transfered back under the old 30 June rule.

Carlton
Craig Bradley

Essendon
Greg Anderson

Fitzroy
Roger Delaney

Geelong
Dwayne Russell

Melbourne
Danny Hughes
Andrew Obst

Got these names from an ABC Grandstand Footy Book 1996, that had a list per team of players who played at least 1 game between 1987 and 1995 and how many games they played in each year. I may have missed a player or two

But the 1990 flag side was stacked with guys who would play in the AFL either for the crows or another team or had previously played in the AFL (ie those underlined)

B Fiacchi Harris Rizonico
HB Abernethy Phillips Northeast
C Hutton S. Williams Tregenza
HF Foster D. Smith Mahney
F Hynes Hodges Wanganeen
R Johnson M. Williams Ginever
Int Settre Phelps

Out injured for the GF Rohan Smith David Brown

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruck is probably the weak point

Yeah, the ultimate tweener in Chalmers as #1 is cringeworthy.

Given that under the counterfactual or not, the club was replacing Fitzroy, a few brown paperbags might've headed Brisbane's way in lieu of picks or other equalisation-related benefits.

Otherwise, you'd have to prefer Pooley as stopgap. Same height as Chalmers, but at least he'd throw himself about.

Yeah I reckon Fozzy just played 2s for Carlton - too laid back. He was Phil Carman's brother-in-law IIRC.

Yep, Richard Foster was recruited from the Carlton seconds, and a damn good pick up he was

Brisbane
Martin Leslie
** Note both Ben Harris and Mark Williams started the year at Brisbane but transfered back under the old 30 June rule.

Carlton
Craig Bradley

Essendon
Greg Anderson

Fitzroy
Roger Delaney

Geelong
Dwayne Russell

Melbourne
Danny Hughes
Andrew Obst

Got these names from an ABC Grandstand Footy Book 1996, that had a list per team of players who played at least 1 game between 1987 and 1995 and how many games they played in each year. I may have missed a player or two

But the 1990 flag side was stacked with guys who would play in the AFL either for the crows or another team or had previously played in the AFL (ie those underlined)

B Fiacchi Harris Rizonico
HB Abernethy Phillips Northeast
C Hutton S. Williams Tregenza
HF Foster D. Smith Mahney
F Hynes Hodges Wanganeen
R Johnson M. Williams Ginever
Int Settre Phelps

Out injured for the GF Rohan Smith David Brown

Thanks REH. :thumbsu:

It would have been really something to see a side comprised mainly out of that lot hit the park in the national comp :(

Does anybody have any of the team lists for when we played those trial matches against the VFL/AFL sides, even going back as far as the 1990 pre-season game against Geelong at Football Park?

Would be interesting to see the names in those games, plus the results.

1995 Port v Fremantle:
Port Adelaide:
F: 20 Jason Dylan, 11 Scott Hodges, 10 Stephen Williams;
HF: 14 Spiro Malakellis, 28 Darren Smith, 25 Troy Olsen;
C: 29 Darren Forssman, 9 Anthony Darcy, 13 Rohan Smith;
HB: 32 Paul Northeast, 5 Julian Burton, 36 Stephen Carter;
B: 4 George Fiacchi, 33 Darren Mead, 7 Roger Delaney:
1R: 30 Darryl Poole, 1 Tim Ginever (captain), 22 Tony Malakellis;
Int: From - 34 Damian Angove, 23 Damien Ryan, 41 Clive Waterhouse, 16 Darryl Borlase, 3 Mark Wade, 15 Michael Wilson, 42 Bryan Beinke.

Fremantle: 1 Scott Edwards, 2 Scott Watters, 3 Brendan Krummel, 4
Andrew Wills, 5 Todd Ridley, 7 Ben Allan (captain), 10 Stephen
O'Reilly, 11 Dale Kickett, 14 Kingsley Hunter, 16 John Hutton, 17
Darren Capewell, 18 Craig Nettelbeck, 19 Gary Dhurrkay, 19 David Muir,
22 Travis Edmonds, 24 Matthew Burton, 25 Jason Norrish, 26 Todd
Menegola, 30 Tony Delaney, 31 Leigh Wardell-Johnson, 32 Peter Bell, 33
Craig Burrows, 34 Jeff White, 35 Chris Groom, 36 Quenton Leach, 37 Mark
Gale, 38 Anthony Jones, 42 Craig Callaghan.

IT was Jason Dylan, Sprio Malakellis, Anthony Darcy, Clive Waterhouse and Michael Wilsons first games for the club, whilst I think it may have been Darren Forrsmans only game for the club. The game for me was notable as seeing a young white haired player come on at half time on a back flank and just run and create and take Freo on.

FREMANTLE 2.1 7.3 10.6 11.10 (76)
PORT ADELAIDE 2.4 2.5 3.7 5.8 (38)
BEST - Fremantle: O'Reilly, Dhurrkay, Bell, Burton, White, Wills.
Port: Olsen, Poole, Borlase, T. Malakellis, Wade, Waterhouse.
SCORERS - Fremantle: Dhurrkay 3.0, Groom 2.2, Bell 2.1, Hunter 2.0,
Wardell-Johnson, White 1.0, Burrows, Wills, Norrish 0.1, rushed 0.4.
Port: Hodges 2.1, Ginever, Poole, D. Smith 1.0, Borlase 0.2, Olsen,
Waterhouse 0.1, rushed 0.3.
REPORTS - D. Mead (Port) by field umpire Tim Pfeiffer for allegedly
disputing a decision in the third quarter. D. Borlase (Port) by umpire
Pfeiffer for allegedly striking G. Dhurrkay in the last quarter.
INJURIES - Fremantle: T. Ridley (shoulder).
UMPIRES - Troy Burton, Tim Pfeiffer, Richard Williams.
CROWD - 22,366.

Love Meady getting reported for disputing an umpires decision! That rule must have been thrown out of the book.

1994 Port v Essendon:

PORT ADELAIDE:
F: 35 May, 24 Tylor, 27 Olsen
HF: 9 Spalding, 28 D Smith, 29 Hull
C: 31 Wait, 6 Mckay, 34 Angove
HB: 32 Northeast, 36 Carter, 15 Wakelin
B: 17 Rizonico, 7 Delaney, 20 Grocke

R: 8 Chalmers 2 Ginever, 22 Malakellis
I: 3 Bartsch, 5 Burton, 10 Williams, 12 Gaffney, 33 Mead

The internal trial before the main game consisted of:
Black and white team: J. Baldissera, Fiacchi, Crombie, Rogers, Ramsay, Mahney, Francis, S. Baldissera, Steed, Cueller, Dickie, Ormond-Allen, Ryan, Sheehan, Fiegert, Foster, Brosnan, Herzick, Dylan, Dittmar, Vincent, Katsaras, Pedler.

Red team: Poole, McKenna, Day, Grgurovich, Tomney, C. Warrior,
Wilson, Callahan, Brennan, R. Smith, Kennedy, Voice, T. Burton, Tomeo,
Finkinson, Hastings, Davey, Prisk, Goold, Britos, Givvons, Bolzan.

PT ADELAIDE 5.4 8.6 14.10 17.17 (119)
ESSENDON 3.0 6.1 7.1 7.2 (44)
BEST Port: Angove, Williams, Malakellis, Mead, Olsen, Hull, Tylor, Chalmers.
Essendon: Smith, Cockatoo-Collins, Prior, Symons, Grenvold.
SCORERS - Port: Tylor 5.3, Olsen 3.4, Mead 2.0, Spalding 1.2, Williams, Angove 1.1, Malakellis, Bartsch, May, Ginever 1.0, Chalmers 0.2, Gaffney 0.1, Grocke 0.1, rushed 0.2.
Essendon: Mollard 3.0, Cransberg, Morgan, Symons, Cockatoo-Collins 1.0, Grenvold, Ridley 0.1.
UMPIRES K. Chambers, R. Williams.
CROWD 8024.

The Essendon side only had 4 Premiership players in the side, Harvey, Hills, Grenvold and Watson. 5 others pulled out at the last minute including Wanganeen.

Essendon were lucky we didn't throw our league team at them! :D

Some memorable names there ... and some that never went anywhere. That must've been just about Bartsch's only game for Port. Right up there with (in fact ahead of) Wes Fellowes and Shane Crothers as great ruck recruits ... I'd mention a guy called 'Pancho' Gonsalves who we cunningly beat Woodville to the signature of at the start of 1979, but that's just too obscure and cruel.

Wes was a really good kick for goal very deep in the pocket, get him straight in front though and he was a complete disaster but I guess he was a ruckman. He did very well at Collingwood though, was best player one year I believe.

Essendon were lucky we didn't throw our league team at them! :D

Some memorable names there ... and some that never went anywhere. That must've been just about Bartsch's only game for Port. Right up there with (in fact ahead of) Wes Fellowes and Shane Crothers as great ruck recruits ... I'd mention a guy called 'Pancho' Gonsalves who we cunningly beat Woodville to the signature of at the start of 1979, but that's just too obscure and cruel.

I think Bartsch ended up playing 11 or so games for Port. One of the great 'never was' players. Drafted by the Crows at the age of 19 or 20, didnt play a game there and then ended up with us and didnt last a season.

The goal kicking part sounds like Leon Milde. But I think Leon had more desire.

I reckon Wes did win a Copeland, but for what he must've cost Port his efforts were mediocre. He had one memorable game for Port at something like AFL standard against the (WWT) Eagles. He joined same time as Garry Smallridge. Another bust who wound up at Norwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back