Who do you go for now?

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe that only 38.89% have nominated the Brisbane Lions, I would have thought at least 70-80% would be proud supporters - I guess merging wasn't the answer!

I can honestly say that I am a proud Brisbane Lions supporter, I feel just as bad when we lose as I did when the Roys lost - but hey, thats just me!

When my Father, a Collingwood man, told me how terrific the Magpies were and that the other teams were terrible. I asked him about the others. He rattled them off to me(I was about 2 years of age);"There's Collingwood, North Melbourne, Collingwood, Fitzroy, Collingwood, Hawthorn,... and Collingwood!" Anyway, Mum and her family were all Fitzroy. There was no pressure or coaxing. I just told Dad that I like Fitzroy. A few years down the track and by now 'the old man' is taking me to Fitzroy games, and become Social Club Members at the Junction Oval! VERY GRATEFUL he decided to follow Fitzroy and continue supporting the Lions.:)

Good to see some North Fans out of the Roys fan...I know bert newton former FFC is now a roo fan!

No one - never had a "second" team, and I suppose since we got arsed from the AFL I have only ever really barracked hard in a few games of footy - a couple of times for the Swans (I live in Sydney) and was quite happy when Collingwood got beaten in both of those grand finals by Brisbane..

Never saw it as a Roy premiership in any form though - wish I was able to..

However, I did get almost as much pleasure seeing Collingwood lose a couple of GF's again..

Only other things that keep me interested in the AFL are how badly Richmond have been over the past 25 years or so (with the odd blip when they have made the finals) and the odd game that is a contest rather than the multiple possession keepings off game where no one kicks to a contest anymore.

At the time of the merger I was 15 and was all for it happening with North.

But when Brisbane stepped in with a bum deal, I hated the new entity. To me it was Brisbane with a couple of our players.

For the next few years I only had a passing interest in the game - only keeping up with what was happening and not following anyone.

What attracted me to North was their constant backs-against-the-wall situation and the way they kept overcoming it.
It grew from a general interest though and I started attending games around 2001/02 before becoming a member in 2003.

Now I'm more passionate than I'd ever been - particularly from my involvement with the anti-relocation cause (the last thing i wanted was to go through the heartache again)

I still am a RoyBoy at heart and I have warmed to Brisbane slightly, but it breaks my heart to see them run out in the old guernsey

Would have been interesting to see what supporter base we had if we'd merged with North instead of Brisbane, and if the problems facing the Roos now would have been any different had we ended up an entity with them (North-Fitzroy Kangaroos).

Personally, I was happy to go along with Brisbane given they were relatively new to the competition and, at the time, I was only in my early 20's so hadnt had the same length of experience as many had (although I was a Royboy from the day I popped out into the world). As far as I was concerned it was easier merging history with a baby club rather than one with as much history as North Melbourne.

FWIW - for anyone who hasnt read it - Fitzroy, the book written by Dyson Hore-Lacy, is a top read (reading it again at the moment, third time). It still makes my blood boil what happened - especially in relation to Ian Collins and that prick Ross Oakley.

whats the fitroy REDS?

Fitzroy Reds are an amateurs team who were formally the University Reds (?) - I think they became Fitzroy Reds around the time that FFC folded (FFC provided support to them?) - and they play at Brunswick St Oval. They wear the Fitzroy jumper and have the Fitzroy song.

Been to a few games - its great.

Havent been on the website for a while but i think its fitzroyreds.com.au - in fact I'm gonna check it out now given I've just mentioned it.

Fitzroy Reds are an amateurs team who were formally the University Reds (?) - I think they became Fitzroy Reds around the time that FFC folded (FFC provided support to them?) - and they play at Brunswick St Oval. They wear the Fitzroy jumper and have the Fitzroy song.

Been to a few games - its great.

Havent been on the website for a while but i think its fitzroyreds.com.au - in fact I'm gonna check it out now given I've just mentioned it.

Thanks heaps FFB1, i would love to go down and see the boys get a win and hear the song

FWIW - for anyone who hasnt read it - Fitzroy, the book written by Dyson Hore-Lacy, is a top read (reading it again at the moment, third time). It still makes my blood boil what happened - especially in relation to Ian Collins and that prick Ross Oakley.

Too right! I have read it about 4 times now and still get very agitated by the treatment dished out to our club by many (Collins, Oakley, Samuels, Kennedy, etc). I have learnt not to read it at night, so as to not lose sleep!

Not sure what you'd count me in as

im 18 and was born in 1990. was 8 when the Roys merged, went to most of there Victorian Matches in '96, and made the trip with the old man to say fairwell at Subiaco. my memories of the Roy's are faint, but the one's i cherish the most. how can anyone forget what it was like, everyone was like family at the games, such a great feeling. i dont get that with Brisbane, but i still go to every Melbourne match, Decked out in the RED GOLD and BLUE. i've never owned a peice of Brisbane Lions merchandise, and am not going to make a start now. im keeping it real :D:thumbsu:

So if you'll have me, i'd like to become an official RoyBoy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Extraordinary, not one Richmond fan can claim to have previously been a Fitzroy fan!

The Tigers are my second team after the Brisbane Lions, but I must say that it really surprises me that they are the only team that previous Fitzroy fans don't follow.

Extraordinary, not one Richmond fan can claim to have previously been a Fitzroy fan!

The Tigers are my second team after the Brisbane Lions, but I must say that it really surprises me that they are the only team that previous Fitzroy fans don't follow.
With good reason too! Richmond was the deciding vote in 1996, to force Fitzroy into a "Merge or Fold" scenario. I do hear that, John Blackman now supports the Tigers.:thumbsdown:

With good reason too! Richmond was the deciding vote in 1996, to force Fitzroy into a "Merge or Fold" scenario.

Not many old Roy Boys forget Richmond (for 1996)....and Carlton (because they are generally a pack of arseholes) for that matter!!:mad:

This is starting to be an interesting (but not surprising) straw poll.

For every three old Fitzroy supporters, 1 has jumped on the BBFC and the other two have been lost elsewhere! Using a conservative figure of 21,000 supporters, there are 14,000 out there who were not convinced by the "new" entity.

Just out of curiosity who are the 7 Lions supporters that now support West Coast?
My guess is that not all of those 7 were really Fitzroy supporters. More likely they were Eagles supporters, who saw a post from Mighty Eagles & just voted for their own club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back