Who do you go for now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitzroy is part of the Brisbane Lions! In 1996, as upsetting as it was, we had to "merge" our support along with the players. Former Fitzroy players from 1986 will tell you of a players' vote. Most on this list had agreed on principle, to re-locate to Brisbane or face an uncertain future. This was prior to the creation of the Bears and Eagles for the 1987 season. I've felt that one way or the other, the Lions were somehow destined for this new era of Football. We were told by the V.F.L. to find a solution, to survive in the new expanding competition. We were ripped off by Collingwood and later, Carlton along the way. We were made to feel like unwanted visitors! This put Fitzroy in further trouble. No real home, until Footscray offered their home to share. Anyway, I'll never forget Kevin Murray's stirring speech in 1996, when the A.F.L. had announced that Fitzroy and Brisbane would merge to become the Brisbane Lions. Kevin put things in perspective and encouraged us all to continue supporting the LIONS! Otherwise we would have nothing, basically.

lovely footscray!

I am in a strange boat as having moved to Queensland in 1988, I guess it was easier to make the switch to the Brisbane Lions.

The fact is that it was only easier, not easy.

Was recently in Melbourne and took my wife out to the Junction Oval to show her where I spent my Saturdays as a kid. Was about to recreate a Superboot crowd invasion for her amusement when one of the young Melbourne players I know walked by, so I aborted for that day, will have to do it next time:D

Fact is, if the Roy's were still in the AFL, I would still be a Fitzroy boy. You just can not get it out of your system:thumbsu:

TTT & Roylion, I am as Roy Boy as they come and loved to hate the pies when our Roy Boys were about...........but they aren't anymore. Still feel betrayed by the AFL and Brisbane and only felt like a Roy Boy again when they wore the 96 jumper against the hawks last year (and travelled half way across Australia to see them at the MCG that day).

Plus, I have some links to the Pies that I cannot sever.

I suppose it tells you what I think about Brisbane. I love to follow the Roy Boy links via Brown, Power, etc. but can't follow them as a QLD football team - they have absolutely nothing to do with Melbourne!

Would have been interesting to see what supporter base we had if we'd merged with North instead of Brisbane, and if the problems facing the Roos now would have been any different had we ended up an entity with them (North-Fitzroy Kangaroos).

Personally, I was happy to go along with Brisbane given they were relatively new to the competition and, at the time, I was only in my early 20's so hadnt had the same length of experience as many had (although I was a Royboy from the day I popped out into the world). As far as I was concerned it was easier merging history with a baby club rather than one with as much history as North Melbourne.

FWIW - for anyone who hasnt read it - Fitzroy, the book written by Dyson Hore-Lacy, is a top read (reading it again at the moment, third time). It still makes my blood boil what happened - especially in relation to Ian Collins and that prick Ross Oakley.

where can I get that book , id like to read it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd also be surprised if all those participating in the poll above were all former Fitzroy supporters.

However taking the comments of the 18 known Fitzroy supporters in this thread, the breakdown is as follows.

- Brisbane Lions 50%
- No team: 27% (two have a soft spot for the Brisbane Lions)
- North Melbourne 17%
- Collingwood 6%

Adam Muyt, the author of the excellent 'Maroon and Blue' estimates the following based on ancedotal evidence:

No team - at least 40%
Brisbane Lions - over 40%
Another AFL side - no more than 5% including a few hundred that went over to North and a couple of hundred than now support other AFL sides.

Victorian membership of the Brisbane Lions has varied since the merger Brisbane Bears Victorian members numbered somewhere between 70 and 200 members.

Since the merger Victorian membership has varied.
1997 - 3,200
1999 - 2,200
2004 - 7,000
2006 - 4,000

Fitzroy's membership never exceeded 10,000.

Well were at the begining of the 2009 season, so I thought I'd ask again, who do you support now?

Still have little interest in the AFL, but am really going to try to follow the Lions this year.

Not so sure how it will go though, as the 3 premierships they won did little to whet my appetite (although it was good to see them beat Collingwood twice)

I could only ever go for the Roys. My little bro went to North and my Mum goes for the Dogs now but I just lost intrest in the AFL because money was more important than the game. I'm a little less bitter now (didn't take long) and can avoid arguments with friends that go for Brisbane.

But I'll be down at Brunswick street this year watching Fitzroy run out onto the park once again!

I could only ever go for the Roys. My little bro went to North and my Mum goes for the Dogs now but I just lost intrest in the AFL because money was more important than the game. I'm a little less bitter now (didn't take long) and can avoid arguments with friends that go for Brisbane.

But I'll be down at Brunswick street this year watching Fitzroy run out onto the park once again!

Great to hear you going to the B S O Carn The, and it was a great thing that the Fitzroy Reds and Fitzroy ltd bit the bullet and merged it all as the players and the buisness behind it all will kick on in leaps and bounds they deserve to flurish.
ITS A WIN WIN

I hadn't been to an A F L game in years,but love the NTH people they have a backs to the wall us against them attatude and most have been curtious to me so would have to lean that way.

Yep, obviously I've come to support the Dees during the last couple of seasons, for similar reasons really. Taken me a long time to really identify with any AFL club again.

Would that I could go to some Fitzroy FC games, I've been out of Victoria a long, long time - but whenever I'm back in Melbourne again...

PS- Thanks for adding me Roy Fitz...

Yep, obviously I've come to support the Dees during the last couple of seasons, for similar reasons really. Taken me a long time to really identify with any AFL club again.

Would that I could go to some Fitzroy FC games, I've been out of Victoria a long, long time - but whenever I'm back in Melbourne again...

PS- Thanks for adding me Roy Fitz...

G'day wona old son
Geez didn't those dees take it up to Footscray.
Met Arron Davis once at sandy game when he started out ,god he was such a nice kid and what a footy player he turned out to be.
Neits was there the same day,god he was a big guy, shyt he had hands the size of buckets to
Take good care ok
Mr Magoon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back