What are Australia's most chilling crimes?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Greenough Family Massacre has got to be the worst crime in Australias' history.

This absolute piece so s**t is still alive today and is due for release in 2013.

What year did this occur? Presumably he got 25/30 years for that so i'm guessing late 70's?

I'm sorry that article upset you, it wasn't meant to. By calling it a "highlight", I was using irony. In fact, I think what Tsakmakis did to Quinn was possibly the most hideous, cold-blooded, sadistic crime I've heard of. My use of the word "highlight" was meant to convey the fact that once you thought this a-hole couldn't get any worse, he actually did.

I've read the transcript of the Coroner's Inquest into Barry's death and it makes harrowing reading. Included in the report was an interview done in the hospital, after the attack by Tsakmakis. Barry was interviewed by one of the Homicide cops who charged him with the Car-O-Tel crime. Even on his death bed, Barry maintained he'd never killed anyone. He did imply he may have driven a vehicle involved in that crime though. The copper expressed some affection for Barry during the interview. During that interview, Barry never gave Tsakmakis up for what he did to him.

My best friend was among the people Tsakmakis killed, so I'm hardly likely to think of his crimes as "highlights".

Once again, I'm sorry I upset you.

thanks, and im sorry I flipped it.
My family is very strong on this case- till this day, my great grandmother grieves.
I know he wouldn't lie to my nana, and he said he never done it, i know we know he took the wrap for someone else, it was just him, you know the type of person he was.
and as you said he never gave Tsakmakis up for setting him alight, I know- I've heard the tape a million times when the police interviewed him.. while he was burning.

Originally Posted by Yellow Feathers
The Greenough Family Massacre has got to be the worst crime in Australias' history.

This absolute piece so s**t is still alive today and is due for release in 2013.

What year did this occur? Presumably he got 25/30 years for that so i'm guessing late 70's

1993. I was 7 years old and lived in Geraldton- very close to where this happened. 10 years for this sickest crime you could imagine. I just dont understand it, there is no justice at all.

This guy drove up to the family's property in Greenough and was greeted by Karens' son Daniel. He hacked the Daniel to death with an axe and then went inside the house. He then turned his axe to Karen, and then went into the bathroom. He found some cream he could use as lubricant, returned to Karens' corpse and raped her after she was dead.

He then walked into the little girls room and murdered them. Police won't release anything else on the matter- apparently what he did to those little girls before/after the murder was sickening...

My mum was doing TAFE with Karen at the time she was murdered, she didn't show up for class that day... Apparently a lovely women.

Makes me wonder how someone can do this to another human being? What if Karen or her daughters were your mother, sister, wife, daughters?

Surely the scumbag that did that won't be released in 2013, I could just imagine the public outcry if they did release him. They should lock him up and throw away the key, never to be released.

I remember when that happened at the time and it was one of those crimes that was almost too gruesome and shocking to be true. Also watched the CIA program about it recently and apparently the guy that did it was knocked back by that woman Karen at a party a few days earlier. He was pissed off about it so decided to take revenge. He was off his **** on booze and drugs at the time he did it but it's still hard to understand how anyone could do such a thing.

\
and as you said he never gave Tsakmakis up for setting him alight, I know- I've heard the tape a million times when the police interviewed him.. while he was burning.

They just don't make them like that any more.

If he killed that kid then IMO, he copped his right whack.

If he didn't then you have my condolences.

Either way he stuck staunch by a kid killer, and I just can't respect that. A very hard crim once told me that giving up a child killer or child tamperer was not lagging, it was your civic duty.

Then again, he was the sort of person that would take matters in to his own hands.

Sef Gonzales.

Crafty little bastard who even felt it necessary to sing at the family funerals.

Agreed. Total weirdo that made himself out to be a hero and a victim. Hope he is getting molested in jail.

Another chilling one was the family murders in Adelaide. Sick bastards the lot of them and all bar Bevan von Einem got away with it. And even he only got done for one of them. All victims were drugged and raped for long periods of time before they got got bored. All victims died from from massive injuries and blood loss to their anus:eek: Nice people!!

http://www.thecrimeweb.com/voneinem.htm

Lin family murder. My old man use to be a member of the Tsing Hong clan and he said those kind of killing are usually reserved for traitors or people who knew too much. Cos the method was too over da top for purely money.

Lin family murder. My old man use to be a member of the Tsing Hong clan and he said those kind of killing are usually reserved for traitors or people who knew too much. Cos the method was too over da top for purely money.
Killing the children that's taking it too far. There's no way they could've known anything.

This guy drove up to the family's property in Greenough and was greeted by Karens' son Daniel. He hacked the Daniel to death with an axe and then went inside the house. He then turned his axe to Karen, and then went into the bathroom. He found some cream he could use as lubricant, returned to Karens' corpse and raped her after she was dead.

He then walked into the little girls room and murdered them. Police won't release anything else on the matter- apparently what he did to those little girls before/after the murder was sickening...

My mum was doing TAFE with Karen at the time she was murdered, she didn't show up for class that day... Apparently a lovely women.

Makes me wonder how someone can do this to another human being? What if Karen or her daughters were your mother, sister, wife, daughters?

Is now in the Bunbury Minimum Security Prison, set to be released in 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe. Who knows? Nobody knows. It is a mystery.

Exactly. In my experience, those who talk big and claim to be tough generally go too s**t when the real heat is on.

I for one am a bit of a pussy physically. If a 'tough dude' was having a go at me in a bar, or calling my girlfriend a whore etc, I would just sneak off (taking her with me)

But then, in the course of my work, I've had a few experiences with genuinely violent men, situations where guns are involved, guys from organisations with names you hear on the news, masked types pressing cold barrels against your temple, kind of things people often don't survive and every time I've been fine because I've been able to keep entirely cool and calm and deal with the situation.

Yet in one memorrable occasion when that happened a mate of mine, big Kiwi rugby type who was always boasting about fights he had been in and physically intimidating types who weren't as beasty as him pissed himself. Literally.

In terms of hideous crimes, I'm actually off to Peterhead Prison later in the month where a whole host of characters including Peter Tobin are held.

Also had the pleasure of some time with Luke Mitchell though weird as the ****er is, I still don't think he actually killed his girlfriend.

I've also met people who involved in the planning and commission of operations/events that directly lead to the deaths of dozens, in some cases hundreds and even thousands of people, but they all consider themselves military types so to define them as crims is a bit sketchy.

Exactly. In my experience, those who talk big and claim to be tough generally go too s**t when the real heat is on.

I for one am a bit of a pussy physically. If a 'tough dude' was having a go at me in a bar, or calling my girlfriend a whore etc, I would just sneak off (taking her with me)

But then, in the course of my work, I've had a few experiences with genuinely violent men, situations where guns are involved, guys from organisations with names you hear on the news, masked types pressing cold barrels against your temple, kind of things people often don't survive and every time I've been fine because I've been able to keep entirely cool and calm and deal with the situation.

Yet in one memorrable occasion when that happened a mate of mine, big Kiwi rugby type who was always boasting about fights he had been in and physically intimidating types who weren't as beasty as him pissed himself. Literally.

In terms of hideous crimes, I'm actually off to Peterhead Prison later in the month where a whole host of characters including Peter Tobin are held.

Also had the pleasure of some time with Luke Mitchell though weird as the ****er is, I still don't think he actually killed his girlfriend.

I've also met people who involved in the planning and commission of operations/events that directly lead to the deaths of dozens, in some cases hundreds and even thousands of people, but they all consider themselves military types so to define them as crims is a bit sketchy.

Wow, sounds very interesting. I'm not sure how much of what you're going to be doing you're allowed to share, but It'd be awesome if you could keep us posted.

Wow, sounds very interesting. I'm not sure how much of what you're going to be doing you're allowed to share, but It'd be awesome if you could keep us posted.

Will do what I can.

By far the scariest, as in knowing a dude could kill you very easily and have absolutely no problems doing it, was Akhmed Zakayev's bodyguard.

Chechens. Crazy ****ers

Hmmm, quite bizarre really.

Arrest over Elisabeth Membrey killing

http://www.theage.com.au/national/man-charged-over-membrey-murder-20100420-srme.html

Shane Andrew Bond, 43, whose address was suppressed from publication, appeared before a bail justice in an out-of-sessions court hearing at the St Kilda Road police complex tonight charged with one count of murder.

Twenty-two-year-old Ms Membrey disappeared from her flat in Bedford Road, Ringwood, on December 6, 1994, sparking one of Victoria's most enduring murder mysteries.

The break-in at the Westinghouse factory was pretty chilling...

On a serious note, I have seen the crime scene photos from Greenough. The public was never told half of what happened there. Can't believe that ****er will ever be let out.

From a personal persepective Sharon Mason was pretty bad. She was going to my school when she disappeared, and afterwards every now and then you'd see things like taking a book out of the library and her name is in it as a previous borrower. Then it was so long before she was even found.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back