Rumour Andrew Mcleod keen to play on in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Pariah

Club Legend
Apr 13, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's what The Sunday Mail are going with.
Their source is claiming should Macca manage to make a fully recovery he's keen on playing next year. They also claim that if he doesn't get a new contract from Adelaide he would consider joining GWS. The rumour is on page 59.
I've got mixed feelings if this is true because his form before his injury was good. :confused:
Then there's the fact that our youngsters have all done well when given opportunites.
If he stays on next year he'll take the spot of one of those kids.
Being a Bunji fan I would love to see him reach the 350 game milestone.
Plus I don't like the idea of Macca playing for another team.​

That's what The Sunday Mail are going with.
Their source is claiming should Macca manage to make a fully recovery he's keen on playing next year. They also claim that if he doesn't get a new contract from Adelaide he would consider joining GWS. The rumour is on page 59.
I've got mixed feelings if this is true because his form before his injury was good. :confused:
Then there's the fact that our youngsters have all done well when given opportunites.
If he stays on next year he'll take the spot of one of those kids.
Being a Bunji fan I would love to see him reach the 350 game milestone.
Plus I don't like the idea of Macca playing for another team.​

I call bullshit

No way Macca would uproot his family to Sydney, for 1 season max, and it wouldn't be until 2012. He'll be too far gone.

Absolutley 0 in it

If he isn't in Crows coulours next year, he's retired. If he is in our colours next year, its his last. Simple as that.

Since we have lost Edwards, Goodwin and Burton I would like to see us with at least one experienced player to go on. Would rather him then Doughty and he still has a lot to add as a small forward type who can kick a few handy goals and is dangerous with his disposal. + his my Favorite player:thumbsu:

I read that in the Sunday Mail, and I'd have to say that IMO that whole reference to joining GWS is nothing but journalistic bullshit.

Macca hasn't showed his cards yet as to what he's going to do, although the general feeling is that he will retire. He's got a book scheduled for release at the end of the season and players don't usually do that while they're still playing.

The one area of doubt though is that he really did want to get his 350 games, and there is just a small chance that this why he has been silent on the issue of retirement i.e. to get his 350 games up.

IMO that's all the Sunday Mail journo has knowledge of too, and the rest he made up.

if it was Gold Coast, that'd be more reasonable, because they will be joining the AFL next year, unlike GWS, which join in 2012...Macca will be too old by then...

I'm still 100% convinced he will stay on, nothing, including said book deal has changed my mind of that.

I'm also 100% convinced he will return home the moment he retires.

Of course we'd all love to have a 350 game player, but they must be playing for the right reasons - because they're the best choice for their position on the team. If it's only to achieve a milestone or for sentimental reasons, it sholdn't happen. And our club and McLeod are both too professional to allow that stuff to come into the equation of whether he retires or stays. As for going elsewhere, pfft.

IMO Macca should retire..

when is the last time Macca got through a season without the mid-season surgery clean out of his knee, however this year it has taken Macca 2-3 more weeks to regain fitness

I just don't want to see another Edwards situation next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macca hasn't showed his cards yet as to what he's going to do, although the general feeling is that he will retire. He's got a book scheduled for release at the end of the season and players don't usually do that while they're still playing.

I know this is perceived wisdom on this board, but the evidence doesn't back that up.

Mark Bickley's book was published in 2001. He retired in 2003.
Gavin Wanganeen's book was printed in 1998. He played till 2006.
Shane Crawford's book came out in 2003. (retired 2007)
James Hird's 1st book was published in 2002, and his 2nd book was published in 2006 (possibly early 2007 - different sources give different dates). He played through 2007.
Plugger's first book came out in 1992!

That's not a comprehensive list - there's plenty of others (Dipper, Doug Hawkins, John Platten, Sticks, Paul Roos) who have also published while still active players, and I'm not claiming to have gone through the archives completely.

But onsidering few footy books are published, the Carey-Buckley-Kouta-Roo-Paul Kelly model of post-retirement publishing is almost closer to the exception than the rule!

I read that in the Sunday Mail, and I'd have to say that IMO that whole reference to joining GWS is nothing but journalistic bullshit.

It would be Rucci 'clutching at straws' because he retired Mcleod (in the media) before Mcleod has even made it public what his intentions are.

Of course we'd all love to have a 350 game player, but they must be playing for the right reasons - because they're the best choice for their position on the team. If it's only to achieve a milestone or for sentimental reasons, it sholdn't happen. And our club and McLeod are both too professional to allow that stuff to come into the equation of whether he retires or stays. As for going elsewhere, pfft.

That's not altogether true. We played Roo on half a leg (and effectively a man down) so he could reach the "most games played" milestone. A milestone which has already been surpassed.

That's not altogether true. We played Roo on half a leg (and effectively a man down) so he could reach the "most games played" milestone. A milestone which has already been surpassed.
They did, but a dodgy selection for one game is not quite the same as deliberately going a man down for an entire season.

They did, but a dodgy selection for one game is not quite the same as deliberately going a man down for an entire season.

No, that's true. But I think if Macca played on next year it would be another year like this and last. You get half a good season, then a break for the annual dust and clean to his knee, then back for a pretty solid final stint. I'd be happy with that.

Jenny - I know you've said this a few times, but I just don't buy it.

Roo played the week before against Collingwood, kicked 3 goals, and without his final term we don't even make the finals in 2007.

He wasn't gifted his 312th game. He earned it by the way he played in his 311th game.

Have said all the way along I have no issue with Macca playing on ... as long as he is motivated & injuries are not a major issue ... so needs to prove he is OK on his return. Wouldn't harm having his exprience around with all the other older players retiring (just wish the 2 I nominated to retire last year - Burton & Edwards, as they went on too long).

If Macca is doing it for the right reasons and understands up front that he is no guarantee for first 22 then I definately want him around next year. Id have happily retired him if Goodwin was staying, but hes not. We already have Goodwin, Edwards and Burton confirmed, Hentcshel almost a certainty and a cloud over Doughty and Stevens under that scenario I want Macca around. Not to mention, I like Macca a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back