Tertiary and Continuing The Law Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone done arts at monash to transfer to arts law after a year? Or ANU artslaw to Monash Arts Law?

Anyone done arts at monash to transfer to arts law after a year? Or ANU artslaw to Monash Arts Law?

My friend's older sister started off in Bachelor of Arts at Monash and successfully transferred to Arts/Law after a year. Presumably because she attained impressive marks in her Arts degree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the implications if I fail a subject (99% did)? Am I instantly on the automatic cut off no hire zone from firmss.

What subject and what uni? A 99% failure rate suggests a failure by the head of the unit, not by the students

It seems the 'top-tiers' are fairly reluctant to hire anyone that has failed something, as they get the best students from all around the country applying to them so there's not a real need to look at applicants with fails. But if your other marks are good and you have a good explanation (Don't blame others- Say this is what I did wrong, this is what I did to fix it, and this was the result- hopefully show you did well in the subject by doing it again) you may be fine.

What subject and what uni? A 99% failure rate suggests a failure by the head of the unit, not by the students

It seems the 'top-tiers' are fairly reluctant to hire anyone that has failed something, as they get the best students from all around the country applying to them so there's not a real need to look at applicants with fails. But if your other marks are good and you have a good explanation (Don't blame others- Say this is what I did wrong, this is what I did to fix it, and this was the result- hopefully show you did well in the subject by doing it again) you may be fine.

Sorry to clarify I have not received my marks yet but am 99% sure I failed it. Property A Monash Uni.

So I take it you did the supplementary exam? Illness the first time round? No point worrying about it until you get the mark back for certain. And if you do fail you'll just have to do it again next year and get a good mark to show that you have the ability to work on your weaknesses. Most law firms will recognise that many students struggle with Property Law and be satisfied by the fact that you have done well the second time around. You will probably struggle to get an interview with the top tiers (they are pretty tight) but IMO this is the best thing that could happen to you.

SOR- where did you do your law degree? And did you go to a big firm or smaller?

I highly doubt more than 3.2% of lawyers/law students would know what the hell that is without googling it.

I'd be shocked if any practicing lawyer didn't know the core subjects of a law degree, possibly not the name, but it seems incredible to me not to be aware that to practice in Australia you need contracts, property, admin, torts etc.

Also to the bloke shitting himself about employment, just remember the golden rule of law employment it's as much who you know as what you know.

If you can get a reputation whilst still as an undergraduate as a good bloke whose not an idiot and reinforce this through clerkships and work experience you'll be fine. Although I would assume this is easier in the smaller, more dynastic Adelaide market.

While I'm here - how much work are you all doing on research and the like? QUT's philosophy seems to include a heavy dose of teaching what lawyers do as well as what they should know.

For instance a few people (on here and people I know) have mentioned they don't read cases. We've had assignments where we have to read cases and work out the ratio, obiter and other features of the report. Right now we've got two research assignments on the go, requiring a lot of reading of secondary material, legislation and cases to learn areas of torts law from scratch, unassisted. It's not possible to complete these assignments without this reading and hope to get a Credit or above. I could be wrong but this seems not to be the norm around the place, specially at places like UQ, where The Law is studied but not the things a lawyer does day to day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back