2nds Carlton v West Coast Eagles 26/06/11 where does it stand in our history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Could well be top 6, I'm stoked. But the difference between today's win and the 2006 vs Geelong at Kardinya Park, I'd take that win any day of the week. Very good win but there has been better.

Round 22, 2002 was pretty amazing as well.

At the time we hadn't won in Victoria for ages. We needed to win to make the 8.

Beat the Roos 143 - 126 in a shoot out. Cousins 33 touches with 24 kicks, Phil Matera with 6 goals, Troy Wilson with 5. Huge game.

I think people are overrating Carlton a bit. They only beat us by about 20 points in both games last year. I was fairly confident of todays game. Its not a massive upset.

Steady on.

Carlton aren't that good. If they're the third-best side in the comp, it just goes to show how quickly it falls away after the top 2. Compare this current Blues outfit to Adelaide or St Kilda in 2005-06. Or to Geelong or the Bulldogs last year. Lot of holes in that Carlton team.

People talk about the 2006 comeback against Geelong. That's fair enough. But Geelong finished 10th that year, so we really should never have been 50-odd points down.

From 2006, I fondly recall belting Adelaide by 82 points in R17. The Crows were top of the table, 14-2, and people were ready to hand them the flag. They were flying and, despite sitting 2nd, we had been pretty patchy.

But we came out and smashed them. No one saw it coming, certainly not to the tune of 82 points. Cousins absolutely blitzed them. It left the Crows broken inside and set us on the path to the flag.

Other great H&A wins include beating Footscray at a muddy Western Oval in R22 in 1988 to secure our first finals berth.

In 1991, we beat Hawthorn by 82 points at Princes Park. Smashed them that day.

In 1992, we beat Essendon by 75 points at the MCG. Suma kicked 11.8. In 1999, we beat Essendon by 74 points at Subi. They kicked 3 goals. In that vein, there was also a Friday night game against Essendon at the MCG in 1998. In greasy conditions, Peter Matera kicked 7 of our 11 goals, including a freakish inside-out banana from the boundary, and we got home by 11 points after trailing by 10 at the last change.

In 2002, we beat Brisbane by 46 points at Subi. Gardiner destroyed them. In 2003, we beat Brisbane by 69 points at the GABBA. Judd kicked 5 in the first half and Cousins had a day out.

Does holding off this flawed Blues outfit really compare?

yeah was going to say that adelaide game in 2006.

that was the launching pad for the last quarter of the season and our subsequent premiership. in the process it took all the momentum out of a huge challenger, and they never fully recovered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah was going to say that adelaide game in 2006.

that was the launching pad for the last quarter of the season and our subsequent premiership. in the process it took all the momentum out of a huge challenger, and they never fully recovered.

still on a mad buzz from yesterday, and reading about these golden oldies has me sitting here with a chubby. im off to wake the misses up. she wont be happy with you lot!!!!

It is up there due to our lack of good wins in recent years. Bulldogs in 2009 was a goodun with Embley cutting them up. The hawks win also in 2009 in NicNats 2nd game is also a favourite.

The Adelaide prelim win in Adelaide was I think the best, away in a prelim very few teams win and we came from behind to get up (nearly ruined by RoJos missed sitter)

even though its not H&A the 2006 prelim in Adelaide mentioned above, is often forgotten(understandably :).

at half time i think the score was something like WCE 20 - ADE 50, it was a windy day, we closed the gap won in a thriller, i remember embley took a huge mark in defence to seal it.

Good Memories

even though its not H&A the 2006 prelim in Adelaide mentioned above, is often forgotten(understandably :).
Does it, though?

I reckon most people who were paying attention remember it as one of our most memorable wins aside from the grand finals. Cousins' third quarter was immense. Possibly the high-point of his time at the Eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back