GWS Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

^ be happy with the fact you have 11 of the top 14 picks. No, you didn't get Longer (which I also believe is a mistake) but Patton is a lot bigger than Watts already. He will be great, stop complaining.

The media already love a Giants bag. They're going to love saying the Giants stuffed up the #1 pick in the draft as much as possible. Patton will be a gun, no doubt. But alot of negative crap to a young player can get a young kid down. I just dont want to see another Watts type situation here

Downie picked up! So you guys did get a ruck. Just not the best, I guess.

Hoping he'll be able to deliver it to the elite midfield around him.

I must admit getting Downie at that time in the draft does soften the blow...but it's still a massive loss not getting Longer

I must admit getting Downie at that time in the draft does soften the blow...but it's still a massive loss not getting Longer

You guys seemed to really go for midfield talent. Quite a lot in there that I did not see GWS picking. Probably going to be used for trading off future stars as they all cannot fit.

Perhaps the gameplan is just to get the midfield to shark the opponent ruck hit outs? :D

Probably jealous because I was hoping for Richmond to get one of your mids, but I think you might have over shot the mark and neglected other areas. If you can keep them all together, should be a quality midfield in a few years. Still I wouldn't be overly happy with this draft if I was a GWS supporter, your ability to accumulate picks was great, but the execution did not quite deliver in my opinion.

Well we'll certainly have a gun midfield for the future atleast. Even if we have a few flops, with the amount of midfielders we have, we will probaley have enough pure gun midfielders to fill 2 teams lol.
---
Happy with Buntine and Tomlinson...will be great additions down back with Mohr, Davis, Hombsch, Casley, Cornes, Aylett all pushing Best 22

Patton, Smith, Haynes, O'Hailpin will be nice additions to the already pumped up forward line with Cameron, Bruce, Folau not to mention alot of midfielders who can play as small forwards too.

Scully, Ward, Palmer, Treloar, Shiel, Ugle, Townsend, Miles, Kennedy, Hampton, Growden, Golds, Clifton, Miles, Reid, Coniglio, Tyson, Hoskin-Elliot, Sumner, Greene, Adams....holy s**t that's one mother ****ing good midfield. I'd imaigne quite a few of these players will be in the flanks and pockets in the future aswell.

We've certianly got the midfield covered. Plenty more good forwards and backs already at the Giants too. Think we've covered all the areas pretty well expect maybe the rucks.

I think you've absolutely cleaned up on that draft, even more so than we did last year - well done. Your midfield is going to be nigh unstoppable in 6 or 7 years.

Gee GF, didn't think you were that keen on Longer. I'm happy with our picks, sure not getting Longer is disappointing but you can't win them all! Tomlinson and Buntine are a good trade I reckon, in addition to Mohr and Davis, a backline that will be a GWS (Great Wall of Sydney) in itself!

I was pretty keen on Longer. Giles/Brogan/Downie isn't the best of combos. But atleast we got Downie.

But our defenders are very good. My biggest fear has been getting unders in the backline. But that's not really a concern now. Hombsch, Casley, Aylett, Buntine, Tomlinson are FANTASTIC additions to the side. Mohr and Davis will have long futures with the club and Cornes will also be pretty solid. Not to mention that there will be quite a few midfielders capable playing on the flanks too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys should have used one more pick on Myles Bolger after not getting Longer, I thought he'd be definite top30 prospect.

How you are going to find a spot for all the midfielders you now have is going to be a challenge.

Very surprised we didn't go for Longer. I guess we effectively picked Haynes instead of Longer? Would Brisbane have picked Haynes? Also very surprised not to pick Bevan, but I guess that goes to the PSD.

Very glad we got Tomlinson, Buntine and Greene. And for some reason happy Wingard got to go to Port. He seemed so happy about it.

I think a lot of these midfielders will end up leaving the Giants - just simply for more opportunity in a few years time. Unless there are some big busts there is going to be some major talent being wasted playing in the Giants reserve team. Especially if we pick up some elite midfielders from other teams next season.

Interesting to see that we ended up not pre-listing Macdonald but instead drafted him with a late pick, which means we still have the opportunity to prelist one more player - maybe barry hall??? Or we could just simply be banking that remaining spot for next year.

On us not getting Longer you need to remember that while his tap work is very good he still needs to find more of the footy and strengthen his kicking, and I actually think Downie has alot more upside long tern then Longer does.

As for us getting so many quality midfields I guess the 2 pluses for doing that is players will really have to fight for a spot and that should bring the best out of them. Secondly of the midfielders that are good enough to be starting in other teams but not gettig a start with us, we may be able to trade them for better quality talls then what we would of got in this draft.

As expected, very happy with our selections. Personally I think its insulting to other clubs for any of us to whinge about our picks. Seriously, we have nothing to complain about. Here's a quick wrap on how I think our new guns will go next year.

1 Jonathon Patton - Immediate impact. Ready to go, absolute gun. Tank at 95kg's
2 Stephen Coniglio - Might start him off as an outside mid whilst he bulks up a bit but should get quite a few games as he has already played on mature bodies in the WAFL.
3 Dom Tyson - Depending on fitness levels, should have an immediate impact but with the likes of Scully, Ward & Palmer ahead of him he will be given plenty of time to develop.
4 William Hoskin-Elliott - Super fit and has all the skills which may put him up for selection sooner rather than later, but I suspect he may be given time to develop more.
5 Matthew Buntine - Excellent shutdown defender and a very smart footy player. As his preferred role will require more physical strength in senior ranks, we may see him mid year for a few games.
7 Nick Haynes - Development. Still quite a light frame so probably wont play at all this year in the seniors.
9 Adam Tomlinson - Has the body to play game 1 but lacks consistency. When he plays is up to him. If he finds consistency he may surprise in the second half of the year.
10 Liam Sumner - Development. Still very light and needs to build up physically. Will probably not play at all this year in the Seniors.
11 Toby Greene - Very good inside midfielder but will need time to develop. Plenty ahead of him so no rush.
13 Taylor Adams - This kid is a favorite of mine and I predict he will be the next Jimmy Bartell. Really good awareness and excellent speed and agility. This kid should get a good run this year as IMO he's ready to go
14 Devon Smith - Another good quick inside/outside mid but as our mid stocks are very good, he will be given time to develop and bulk up a bit. We may see him for a few games later in the year as the kid is very classy. Could be thrown into the fray earlier than expected as a small forward as the kid can kick goals.
56 Tom Downie - Young ruckman (apart from Kreuzer & Nic Nat) genrally need plenty of time to develop. Depending on how Brogan goes we might see him for a game or two to see how he goes but unlikely.
79 Setanta O'Hailpin - Obviously will play but not sure how he will go. Did show reasonable form later on at Carlton but I just hope his hot head days are over.
87 James McDonald - Will play more of a mentoring role and mostly on rotation off the bench. Will be good for the young kids.

On us not getting Longer you need to remember that while his tap work is very good he still needs to find more of the footy and strengthen his kicking, and I actually think Downie has alot more upside long tern then Longer does.

quote]

:eek: Keep telling yourself that buddy.

I reckon you guys tried to get the extra mid in the top 7 thinking we'd go for a mid. We played you guys :p Longer could turn into a similar player to tippett...

Interesting to see that we ended up not pre-listing Macdonald but instead drafted him with a late pick, which means we still have the opportunity to prelist one more player - maybe barry hall??? Or we could just simply be banking that remaining spot for next year.

As for us getting so many quality midfields I guess the 2 pluses for doing that is players will really have to fight for a spot and that should bring the best out of them. Secondly of the midfielders that are good enough to be starting in other teams but not gettig a start with us, we may be able to trade them for better quality talls then what we would of got in this draft.

Not sure if serious!

quote]

:eek: Keep telling yourself that buddy.

I reckon you guys tried to get the extra mid in the top 7 thinking we'd go for a mid. We played you guys :p Longer could turn into a similar player to tippett...

You guys thought you'd get Greene with pick 12 and Gubby was having none of it!

You guys thought you'd get Greene with pick 12 and Gubby was having none of it!

Gumby took Greene out of spite because we took Longer. You took greene at 11 so its not like we were thinking of getting Tyson at 12.

Gumby left a top 5 worthy pick ruckman slip, simple as that. Gumby strikes again... I guess having 500 midfielders and 2 ruckman seems like a good mix to him:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back