Michael Hurley re-signs with Essendon for 5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mic...-bomber-for-life/story-fnctrk3q-1226307668840

ESSENDON'S emerging star Michael Hurley signed a five-year deal yesterday that will earn him up to $3 million.

Hurley, 21, was so intent on staying with Essendon, he told the Herald Sun he would have signed a contract to make him a Bomber for life.

"Mate, I would have signed for 10 years if I could have," he said. "It's a great club and I couldn't be happier."

Turning his back on GWS ends Hurley's capacity to earn several more millions.

Hurley said money was never an issue.

"You don't play football for money," he said. "You play with your friends, you play with people you love, and you play for success."

Great news for the club!

Would mean all the focus now turns to Cloke.

Ripper news for us.

Also so good to see that he stayed with us when both expansion clubs had a massive crack at him.

Says something about how much he loves the club/what direction he thinks the club is heading in.

Now to lock up Ryder.

Excellent to finally have confirmation.

I wouldn't wish the media vultures on any club... but our good news means bad news for Collingwood. The ensuing circus will be just as damaging this year as the loss of a player in the future. I wish them the best in ignoring it all.

I don't like Essendon but would sooner see players like Hurley remain with their clubs than chase the cash at that bastardised joint. Let them have the rejects.

Good news for the Bombers.

How old is he? 21? Roughly 600k a year, he's doing quite nicely :thumbsu:

If they wanted to keep him they would have certainly had to shell out a lot of coin, much like West Coast are trying to do with Gaff, not quite as many years but money wise will be up there

A good deal without going way over the top. A great result all round. GWS list of prospects is already beginning to narrow and the season hasn't even begun yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great news for the Bombers.

After Cloke's less than convincing effort on TV tonight, I reckon Pies fans would be getting worried.

Awesome!

Am I right in saying that a five year contract leaves him outside of the reach of free agency when it expires?

I wouldn't worry about that. Knocking back big $ from GWS and signing a long five year deal suggests to me he is a one club player.

Have said before and will say again: if I could have any player in the league at North, would be Hurley.

5 yrs is quite the coup for Hurley. Bombers fans will be rightly ecstatic. As long as there are no career threatening injuries this is a massive long term development for the Dons.

[YOUTUBE]WdITSbitODA[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/michael-hurley-wants-to-be-a-bomber-for-life/story-fn76njus-1226307669729
"Mate, I would have signed for 10 years if I could have," he said. "It's a great club and I couldn't be happier."

Hurley said money was never an issue.

"You don't play football for money," he said. "You play with your friends, you play with people you love, and you play for success."

"I really do want to be a Bomber for life," he said.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/michael-hurley-wants-to-be-a-bomber-for-life/story-fn76njus-1226307669729

All my love, take it!!!!!!!!!! :heart:

Yes! Just imagine Patton-Hurley combo up forward in 5 years, with the midfield kicking it to them...GWS would absolutely destroy. Great news for the rest of the comp. Oh and Essendon. They showed him support during some hard times in his life, and it's his turn to repay them, by loyalty, good on field performances and being a leader off the field. And no doubt he will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back