Unpopular AFL Opinions

Malthouse will be great for Carlton, and they'll be contenders for the next few years.

That, and I don't mind GWS. I hope they have 5 times the success of Gold Coast.

Geelong was not 'exciting' or 'interesting to watch' during their 2007-2011 run. In fact, their run was extremely dull and uninteresting to watch.

Someone should've picked up Brendan Fevola last year or this year....He would've dominated for a while to prove nay-sayers wrong..

Taking certain foreign aspects of other sports and applying them to ours isn't necessarily a bad thing. People who get worked up about the Americanisation of the sport are incredibly insecure and blatantly racist.

People who label others 'racist' for opposing their viewpoint are plain ignorant.

On topic, Ross Lyon is overrated as a coach.

People who label others 'racist' for opposing their viewpoint are plain ignorant.
People who label others 'ignorant' for opposing their viewpoint are plain ignorant.

People who label others 'ignorant' for opposing their viewpoint are plain ignorant.

It's not the fact you are in favour of American influence that I have a problem with, it is the fact you felt the need to brand others as 'racist' for opposing it in our sport and bringing up arguments against Americanisation.

And yes, dismissing perfectly valid viewpoints as 'racist' is ignorant and narrow-minded.

It's not the fact you are in favour of American influence that I have a problem with, it is the fact you felt the need to brand others as 'racist' for opposing it in our sport and bringing up arguments against Americanisation.

And yes, dismissing perfectly valid viewpoints as 'racist' is ignorant and narrow-minded.
Rash opposition to Americanisation solely because it's American is racist, and there are no two ways about it. Dismissing any particular American thing on its own merit is not racist.

TBH I think that alot of people brand advances in sport as Americanisation simply because the US sports are usually the leaders in current sports innovation.
The AFL has not gone out of its way to copy american sports but has used it in similar way that the Australian government copies laws from other countries occasionally. We have used the American system to improve the governance of the game, but we have not gone the way of the NRL and added cheerleaders nor put yard lines on the field.
If we had copied US sports than we would have cheerleaders, different jumpers each year, new team songs each year (i have an idea for that though), players talking themselves up, synthetic balls etc.

So you think what happened to Rendell was fair?

I was simply adding to your fellow supporters statement which in my mind should have read like this ...

"Judgements and conclusions should be made after all the facts are known and not based off of media speculation and hyperbole or your own personal naivety or one-eyed support for your club".

TBH I think that alot of people brand advances in sport as Americanisation simply because the US sports are usually the leaders in current sports innovation.
The AFL has not gone out of its way to copy american sports but has used it in similar way that the Australian government copies laws from other countries occasionally. We have used the American system to improve the governance of the game, but we have not gone the way of the NRL and added cheerleaders nor put yard lines on the field.
If we had copied US sports than we would have cheerleaders, different jumpers each year, new team songs each year (i have an idea for that though), players talking themselves up, synthetic balls etc.

What's wrong with Cheerleaders? :(

Unpopular AFL opinions

* GWS will never gain traction in Western Sydney.
* Adelaide Crows will win next seasons flag.
* Expansion is putting unnecessary strain on traditional football clubs.

What's wrong with Cheerleaders? :(

Lol ... it wasnt really meant to be a lost of things that I wouldnt like in football.
However cheerleaders have no place in football. They don't fit the family friendly image, fuel sexism, and take away from the game.
They work in American sports due to the high amount of stoppages. Crowe was right to stop them at the Rabbitohs.

Australian football is actually a s**t game with stupid rules that nobody can agree on or understand. The AFL competition itself is nothing more than a corrupt, tin-pot league whose sole purpose is to extract as much money as possible from us hardcore fans. Because we have nothing else in life, we assume the position and allow Demetriou (and the 18 clubs he works for) to **** us up the arse. And we beg for more.

We waste our lives cheering for cardboard cut-out clubs that are nothing more than soulless franchises. In return for our unwavering interest, the AFL laughs at us and rigs the competition for TV ratings and an increased market share in Sydney.

The boring rubbish which masquerades as the 'modern game' is glorified soccer. How much of each game actually lives up to the hype? Bugger all... Maybe 20-30 seconds out of 2 hours.

Every minute spent posting or reading the drivel on Big Footy is one minute wasted. You will never get it back.

It is all meaningless. Nearly every smart, switched-on person I've ever met in life has no interest in football. They smile patronisingly or laugh at me for wasting my time with it. They correctly view me as an overgrown child whose growth has been stunted.

Most of the people involved in football do it for what they get out of it - either for the money, or to satisfy their competitive spirit and challenge themselves. They have ZERO interest in actually watching the game or following the sport. They correctly view all of us fans as a bunch of mugs. They pretend to smile when they pose for photos and sign autographs, but in reality, they would rather be doing anything else. Once they retire, some players angle for a career in coaching or footy media (because they know nothing else) but the vast majority of players ride off into the sunset and don't give a s**t about AFL footy.

AFL football is for LOSERS.

You could replace 'Australian Rules' with any sport in the world. Meaningless? What sport actually has some external meaning, other than a subjective one to the individual? This just smacks of an everything is pointless, wrist slashing hysteria.

Lol ... it wasnt really meant to be a lost of things that I wouldnt like in football.
However cheerleaders have no place in football. They don't fit the family friendly image, fuel sexism, and take away from the game.
They work in American sports due to the high amount of stoppages. Crowe was right to stop them at the Rabbitohs.

If wanted by a AFL club they could find times for them to perform at football games. I also don't think it's anti-family environment or sexist. Talking to some of the girls I know they love performing as dancers at all types of different events and feel very lucky to be able to do that at the team they love games (albeit some know very little about any sport). I would say that not allowing these girls to do something they love is wrong. Plus on membership days and club event days they are child entertainers while parents are talking to officials or players. Not discounting how many times I've seen kids (both sex's) copy the cheerleaders moves. By the way, not all cheerleaders are female. They are also used effectively in cricket T20's matches.

If wanted by a AFL club they could find times for them to perform at football games. I also don't think it's anti-family environment or sexist. Talking to some of the girls I know they love performing as dancers at all types of different events and feel very lucky to be able to do that at the team they love games (albeit some know very little about any sport). I would say that not allowing these girls to do something they love is wrong. Plus on membership days and club event days they are child entertainers while parents are talking to officials or players. Not discounting how many times I've seen kids (both sex's) copy the cheerleaders moves. By the way, not all cheerleaders are female. They are also used effectively in cricket T20's matches.

I also know a cheerleader but TBH i dont think their view should come into consideration. They promote that sport is a mens domain. Why dont they get clowns to entertain the crowds during these breaks ... jumping through hoops etc.??
They are wrong to use them at the T20 as well ... when Ive seen them at matches there its simply guys checking them out, and those girls know it as well.

They promote that sport is a mens domain. Why dont they get clowns to entertain the crowds during these breaks ... jumping through hoops etc.??

I have seen a wide range of entertainers used with and without cheerleaders at a number of different sporting events world-wide. I would also reframe from calling a football a mens domain, very disrespectful to the high number of female footy fans there are around the country.

I also know a cheerleader but TBH i dont think their view should come into consideration. .... They are wrong to use them at the T20 as well ... when Ive seen them at matches there its simply guys checking them out, and those girls know it as well.

if that is a issue perhaps women shouldn't wear tight clothes are be allowed on beaches in bikinis or become child entertainers or become businesswomen because I've seen men objectify these types of woman as well. Perhaps we should make them wear burka's whenever seen to prevent this or perhaps not even allow women in public at all. And when women speak out about this, well it doesn't matter because clearly their opinions don't matter or shouldn't come into consideration when involving matters of their lives. Not far away from the old days now of women being baby machines and never leaving the kitchen are we?

I have seen a wide range of entertainers used with and without cheerleaders at a number of different sporting events world-wide. I would also reframe from calling a football a mens domain, very disrespectful to the high number of female footy fans there are around the country.

I never called football a male domain. Cheerleaders promote that notion. By not having them football shows that they are sport for males and females of all ages.

if that is a issue perhaps women shouldn't wear tight clothes are be allowed on beaches in bikinis or become child entertainers or become businesswomen because I've seen men objectify these types of woman as well. Perhaps we should make them wear burka's whenever seen to prevent this. And when women speak out about this, well it doesn't matter because clearly their opinions don't matter or shouldn't come into consideration when involving matters of their lives. Not far away from the old days now of women being baby machines and never leaving the kitchen are we?

Mate you're opening a whole different can of worms here. You can go on and on about our culture being highly sexualised with women being viewed as objects. However if we look at just the cheerleader aspect you have to admit that they do promote the negative culture of sexualising women

I never called football a male domain. Cheerleaders promote that notion. By not having them football shows that they are sport for males and females of all ages.

By having them doesn't suddenly make the game not a sport for males and females of all ages. By not allowing them at all is discrimination.

Mate you're opening a whole different can of worms here. You can go on and on about our culture being highly sexualised with women being viewed as objects. However if we look at just the cheerleader aspect you have to admit that they do promote the negative culture of sexualising women

Not at all, I would go as far to say that it empowers women.

Back