Past Troy Menzel

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong might have the right idea in using a forward/mid (Caddy)as their sub. A footballer instead of a gutrunner or speedster. Wonder if we could copy this tactic and use Menzel as our super sub in the second half of the year. This could be a good way of easing Troy into senior football after an interrupted pre-season.

I'm starting to think Menzel will be eased into the team exactly for that purpose.

Given another good game or two and he may just be on his way.

Daniel Menzel is at risk of getting injured again, I just hope Troy has better luck than his brother when it comes to injuries.

Round 5

Another step-up for Troy.
Really got engaged in the VFL and showed his class on several occasions kicking two goals.
One in particular was a goal we may see many times over in time to come. Good attack on the ball, quality collect, made a right turn on his opponent and slotted it through from 35 out.

What was just as pleasing was to his repeated efforts on the ball as well as two quality tackles.

We have a good one here.

The Grunt Match Report - Rd 4

Young forward Troy Menzel (two goals, three behinds) was a lively target up forward both on the lead and when the ball hit the ground

The Grunt Match Report - Rd 4

Sounds like Troy is improving with every outing, and starting to put in some really promising performances at VFL level.

We won't be rushing him into the senior side but the temptation will no doubt be to bring him in sooner rather than later.

Wouldn't look completely out of place should he be named to take on Melbourne on Sunday afternoon.

Looking forward to seeing him debut be it in a week or a month or longer than that should we deem it necessary.

Good stuff. I really can't wait to see more (or should that be, any) of Troy. Obviously with his injury history and the fact he's only 18 the club will be taking a patient approach, but I get the feeling he is going to be a really dynamic, game-changing player. Some players just have that inexplicable spark that allows them to take over a game and do seemingly everything over a 5 minute period - and it always feels like they're threatening to do it. Impacting the scoreboard certainly helps and smart & athletic small/medium forwards are often very tricky match-ups.

In fact, my favourite post for 2013 is from the Bendigo VFL game where Troy kicked 4. I pissed myself laughing at it, but how true.

Robinson Kreuzer echoing the thoughts of every Carlton fan.

Menzel...

yesjacknicholson_zps54f75e27.gif

Enter Menzel

Carlton will blood a new recruit in Sunday’s match against Port Adelaide, with 18-year-old Troy Menzel to make his debut.
Menzel, the younger brother of Geelong’s Daniel, was the Blues first pick in the 2012 National Draft where he was taken at number 11.
The left-footed forward hails from South Australia, where he dominated in the SANFL playing for Central Districts.
Described as a freakish goal-sneak who likes to push into the midfield, Menzel will be hoping to provide some spark on Carlton’s forward line, in the absence of Chris Yarran and Eddie Betts.

Can't say I care what he does in his first game as I know what he'll be able to do. Go Troy. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniel recalls days of the old backyard
That football and fate has brought the Menzel boys together to pursue their on-field dreams in Victoria is a godsend according to Daniel too.

“I remember watching last year’s draft and thinking ‘Í really hope it’s Geelong for Troy, but if not Geelong a good, successful Melbourne team’ – and Carlton is one of those,” he said.
“As a result, either he gets to Geelong once a week or I get to Melbourne once a week, so we catch up a fair bit.”
Daniel recalls days of the old backyard

Menzel proves a talent to watch
Three minutes in, he dashed past a pack at centre-half forward, where Chris Yarran fired out a handball. Menzel coolly slotted his opportunity, hooking a left-foot snap from 40m.
Menzel proves a talent to watch

Loved the finish from 45 for his first goal in AFL football.

Such a sweet kick with his set shot from 50 and the wrong pocket for a left footer looking home after it sailed off the boot.

This will be a good test for Mick as our coach. It would be easy to drop him this week to allow the return of Betts, but for me is the type of player who could really hurt an opposition with half a dozen kicks in front of goals. Very efficient user of the ball and decision maker something we desperately need as a side loaded with poor kicks for goal. The kid should never be made to play for our VFL side again. Quite demoralising for him, watching the ball butchered into our forward line for the Northern Blues.

Dirk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back