Should the AFL provide clocks that players can easily see?

Remove this Banner Ad

Synaphai

Rookie
Apr 9, 2011
Bama
AFL Club
GWS
I'm a Yank, so clock management has been ingrained in me from an early age. Getting the most out of the final minute(s) of quarters/halves is an integral part of basketball and US football, so players are expected to be very aware of time remaining. Thus the time main remaining clocks are always very visible to players.

On top of this, both sports have a different clock that countdowns the time allotted to each possession (shot clock in basketball and play clock in football). These clocks are positioned on top of the backboard and in the endzone respectively, so players can easily see them.

So...something that frustrates me watching footy games is when players are not aware of the time remaining at the end of quarters. Every round I see players in possible goal kicking position play on with only a few seconds left instead of taking a set shot. Or a player will not realize he only has time to drive a ball deep into the forward fifty and instead chip a short pass or do something else to waste an opportunity. Stuff like that happens a lot.

I've never been on or to a footy stadium so I'm not familiar with sight lines, but it seems to me that there should be clocks positioned so players can easily see them. Maybe 4 clocks along the boundaries (up against the wall) or the stadiums like Subiaco that have LED boards along the boundary could add a clock to the graphics. The clocks could turn on with 2 minutes left in the quarter, alerting players to the fact that time is running out (in NBA games the stadium announcer says "two minutes!")

According to many, it would supposedly it would kill the excitement of the game if we had a countdown clock visible at the ground. Personally, I'm all for it. I'd be in favour of flat 25 minute quarters, with the clock stopping when the ball goes out of bounds.

Like it. Love it in fact. I think it's one of those areas that will be looked at going forward. Coaching in Australia - in football in particular, due to the old boys club nature of it - is a fair bit behind the 8 ball these days. I definitely think it's something that should be looked at.

I suppose the tradition of the clock counting up has contributed to it in a big way, but evolution is always for the best.

It does but lets just stop ******* with the game for 5 minutes and just watch it. Sake KB and his mates and leave it alone.
I don't think it affects the game at all? Putting up clocks? Shouldn't that information be made public anyway? That's why I like the idea - it's a positive move without changing the rules.

Like it. Love it in fact. I think it's one of those areas that will be looked at going forward. Coaching in Australia - in football in particular, due to the old boys club nature of it - is a fair bit behind the 8 ball these days. I definitely think it's something that should be looked at.

I suppose the tradition of the clock counting up has contributed to it in a big way, but evolution is always for the best.

Yeah I don't understand how coaches can obviously agonize over so many mistakes players make during matches but turn a blind eye to this.

Do the stadium clocks only count up? I knew that it's a tradition, and the commentators often reference time that way.

On the one hand I can see the OP's point in that it would make things more straightforward for players/spectators at the ground to know how much time is left and they can adjust for it. E.g. In the Syd vs Ess game last year Dempsey wouldn't have played on.
Then again, I think it adds a certain element of excitement to a game. Take the 05 semi as an example or the North v Adel game this year. Nick Davis scored a goal with 2 seconds left; Petrenko with 16 left. No one at the ground knew that was how long was left, and it made it so much more tense and exciting when the goal was scored. I think in close games as frustrating as it can be to not know how long is left, the tension it creates adds to the excitement of games I think.

Yeah I don't understand how coaches can obviously agonize over so many mistakes players make during matches but turn a blind eye to this.

Do the stadium clocks only count up? I knew that it's a tradition, and the commentators often reference time that way.
It's actually crazy isn't it?
I'm not sure, but you'd think it would be easy enough to rig up in this day and age.

Who cares if america is doing it... seriously. If it's a good idea then we should do it, instead of wondering if some other country is doing it as well, how IRRELEVANT.

#1, I don't really think it's all that good an idea. AFL's not like the NBA or the NFL where you'll have buzzer beaters and the use of time out's, it's just not that sort of contest. The OP mentions getting the most out of halves and quarters, but in an NFL game, if the play clock or shot clocks are turned off (less than 40 or 24 seconds left respectively, the action just stops most of the time, coaches and players walk off even though there might be 20-30 seconds remaining.

AFL is not like basketball or Gridiron, It's much more similar to Union, League or ever soccer, who use count up clocks as well (shock horror).

#2 the OP mentions american sports in his first point, so yeah, we are indeed wondering about it because of other countries.

I sometimes wonder about people who capitalize for emphasis though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure American football is a great argument to use for change in this instance.

There is no more anti-climactic ending to any sport in the world than watching an NFL QB take two knees in a row to end a game.

The same type of thing happens in footy matches when the team with an insurmountable lead just kicks to safe marks for the last minute or more to end the game.

All I'm advocating for in this thread is for players to know the time remaining so they can make smart choices when it's in their team's best interest to score, because so often you see players not using time wisely at the ends of each of the 4 quarters. Many matches are decided by less than a goal so it makes sense to me, and it seems like it should make sense to coaches, that teams should be cognizant of the time remaining so they can maximize every chance to score. For example, a lost opportunity at the end of the first quarter can come back to haunt you at the end of the match.

Tough call. I'm used to the clock being visible for all in the sports that use one. I like all the differences each sport has, including footy with the funky clock, or lack thereof. My only beef with is similar to Synaphai's.....teams that are behind a couple of goals with just a couple minutes left, but the dude who just got a free kick dilly-dallies around, running precious time off the clock. GET GOING!!!! Other than that.....I don't mind the invisible clock. I do like the reactions when the siren blares. Goodes at ~3:35, pretty cool.

No NO NO NO NO NO !!!@!!!!

NOOOO!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

every one that suggests rule changes
should be banned from now on

i meant seriously if i can live with Dempsey play on against the swans last year what is the point of changing it?? When your at the game have no clue when the siren is about to go the suspense is awesome compared to a close nrl game where it has the clock counting down if it aint broke dont ******* touch it.

I suggest we make a rule to ban those who suggest rules

ComeAtMeBro.gif

I'd rather leave it as it is, but there is definitely an argument for it. It wouldn't surprise me if it's brought in ala goal-line technology after something like the following happens in a big final.

Pretty sure the coaches have access to the countdown clock up in the coach's box anyway. Don't tamper with the system that's working a treat. Psychologically, the thought of less than a minute will change what a player might do. It's exciting that we have a running clock. This means the footy players will have to be on their game the whole way or risk losing a game.

Why? What does it bring to the game SUNS?

Leaving it out leaves the excitment, tension etc because we all don't know when the siren will go.

Take the recent Geelong v Hawthorn games for example. They are the best because we have no idea when the siren will go, leaving us all on the edge of our seats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back