AFL presser at 10am - Demetriou gone. Keep in all in here people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think if AD had been in charge at the NRL he would have had the same success in the same period of time?
But that's a hypothetical question that is irrelevant. As one poster pointed out, 10 years ago AFL & NRL were neck & neck for revenue. Now AFL is 3 X bigger

Not sure why you are complaining. Geelong get handed 8 free wins a year or whatever it is when they get to play weak teams at Skilled Stadium. Guess who that is thanks to?

Edit: and before some sort of smart ass comment, yes I know North are playing there.

What on earth has that got to do with Demetriou? The strength/weakness of the teams that play H&A games in Geelong will always be a mere coincidence. They will always play interstate opponents at Kardinia Park during the home and away season and will also play 3-4 games there against low-drawing Melbourne-based clubs (this is somewhat dynamic).

Number of people complaining back in 2003 (when Geelong played more home games in Geelong than it does now, incidentally and the Cats went 3-4-1 there)? Or in 2006, when Geelong went 4-3-1 there? I'm guessing, roughly, zero. Geelong's dominance at Kardinia Park over the past seven years, surprisingly enough ties in neatly with its dominance at every other venue over that period (with the exception of Subiaco). Funny that...

Vlad is gone. I have been waiting for this day for years. Hopefully the next bloke gets rid of these soccer rules so we can have our game back

Vlad did and does what he is told to a large degree.

the effect of CTE (brain injuries) is going to effect all contact sports and the AFL have been forced to change the rules or face massive legal problems down the road.

so the rules as they are now are about the best you can expect. it might even go further.

An evil prick who was corrupt and has corruption dotting his tenure. Also no charisma, trips to the Olympics when he should've been at important matches, and total self-interest and service to himself and his hopes. This pro-Demetriou argument about him helping the game via more money isn't true at all. Does he do all the marketing? Does he research everything himself? He ticks off very obvious things. Who can't sell Australia's biggest sport to Australia?

Good riddance.

Unfortunate Rompingwins Junior will take over and if he's anything other than just as bad, I'll be shocked

There is no question that AD has been part of the AFL's growth over his tenor. But I can’t help but feel that this growth has not been shared. The average punter pays more than ever, free to air tv is reduced and commercial unfairness is spread across the competition. Has AD been good for the AFL? Certainly. Has he been good for Aussie Rules? I am not so sure.

Stayed on to long best work was done early to middle of his tenure.Its all been downhill since then .obvious bias to interstate clubs some Vic clubs need help too,made the Afl a dictatorship biggest failing was to govern for all clubs with all the AFL resources no club should struggle .Should be a limited tenure for this position maybe 8 yrs.and please don't appoint any of his cronies Fitzpatrick there's a stench around him already Gillon just a clone put the wrong person in this position you just can't get rid of them .like Andy in his last few years few people didn't want him gone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think this is a a great day for AF.
The Fat Man couldn't stand the heat so he got out of the kitchen. Unusal for someone so fond of his food.
I can now look forward to less spin and BS from AFL house, and less sweeping problems under the carpet.
On the pitch i can at last look forward again to some tough honest football which i think us fans want.

Really? How can you say when you don't even know who his replacement will be? It could get a lot worse.

Overall I disagreed with many of his decisions and the way he conducted himself however I also acknowledge that if it wasn't for some of his decisions MFC could have gone to the wall and/or been forced to merge/relocate.

Please not McLaughlin, please not McLaughlin, please not McLaughlin, please not McLaughlin, please not McLaughlin, please not McLaughlin.

It's McLachlan not McLaughlin, it's McLachlan not McLaughlin, it's McLachlan not McLaughlin, it's McLachlan not McLaughlin, it's McLachlan not McLaughlin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your Prez would be top of the list for mine.
Dead right if he did for the AFL what he did for Pies there would be no looking back .having said that it would be interesting for someone who is outspoken about fair playing field etc to put his money where his mouth is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vlad did and does what he is told to a large degree.

the effect of CTE (brain injuries) is going to effect all contact sports and the AFL have been forced to change the rules or face massive legal problems down the road.

so the rules as they are now are about the best you can expect. it might even go further.

Correct. the AFL at least recognised the danger of this situation of head injuries, the medico-legal risks to the game & the individual.
RL & RU have been slow to act, Soccer is only now being put under the glaring light. Research into injuries from kids heading the ball & head clashes are being done & exposing the risks.
The game cannot remain the same. Rules to reduce head injury risks will continue to be made.
NRL, RU & Soccah are yet to make the changes so are wide open at this stage.

With this type of job and that millions of people passionately follow the game, the CEO will always be a prime target for venom spitting.
I thought by and large he did a reasonable job but stayed in the position for perhaps 2 or 3 years too long.
He made a few blunders but if you look at all CEO's since the commission began they all made mistakes. Lets face it, better Vlad than someone like David Gallop.
No ones perfect but I suspect in 100 years history will see him as being good for the game.
My immediate thoughts ask who will put their hand up and who will be the successful candidate, but it's pointless losing sleep over something you have no control over no matter how passive or gestapo that person will turn out.

Dead right if he did for the AFL what he did for Pies there would be no looking back .having said that it would be interesting for someone who is outspoken about fair playing field etc to put his money where his mouth is.

Although I'm not entirely comfortable with Brownlow night opening with 'what you lookin at'......

:D

I will always remember him as someone who tried to make the decisions that would generate the most revenue for the game (and he made generated a lot of revenue).

However I still hold a grudge for Sydney getting preferential treatment with regards to the 2012 pre-lim finals even though Hawthorn were minor premiers.

The game is a lot better (financially) thanks to Vlad's time as CEO.

I never got the hate for this man.

He took trips to the Olympics, so? He isn't paid to attend games and it in no way matters whether he does.

People complain that he changed the rules too much. Apart from the fact he isn't actually in charge of the rules, if we accept that he sets the direction, I still don't think they changed for the worse. Reducing brain injuries is good. Keeping the game moving is good. Everyone talks about how good the game used to be. The 1980 grand final was basically repetitive kicking it long to packs interspaced by KB going crazy and kicking a bunch of crumbing goals. It was not better to watch than the game we have now.

People complain that the footy costs too much now. What would you prefer? That our clubs have to be funded by pokie machines like the NRL clubs?

People still complain about the FIXture, even though they brought in a much better new system for this season. And there is no way to balance it with the number of teams we have. He tried to fix that by doing the logical thing and helping a few under-performing Melbourne teams move on to growth markets, but the fans didn't want that, so he pulled up stumps on the effort. Yet, to many, it is still his fault the AFLPA doesn't want to have 34 games a year to give us an even schedule.

I think much of the hate of him is tall poppy syndrome and the rest an inability to move with the times.

Upon saying that, his time was up, fresh blood is needed. Nobody should be the CEO of a company for longer than a decade.

Just an example of how poorly the game was travelling in the '80s, I went to a Carlton/Collingwood game at the MCG in 1987 at which the attendance was 47k. Of course Collingwood were quite ordinary in 1987, in contrast to Carlton being at the top of their game, but not even the VFL's oldest rivalry could muster a big crowd for a game played at the 'G', in what what were, for that time of year (July), very good conditions.

In that same season the Carlton/Footscray game at the Western Oval only drew 14k, Carlton/Fitzroy at Princes Park 15k & Carlton/Richmond at the MCG, albeit in miserable conditions, 15k.

Do you know why that was the case? I'm too young to understand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back