Past #30: Tom Curran - officially delisted/retired from North Melbourne (31/10/14)

Remove this Banner Ad

He should be good on his opposite since he has only been able to kick on his left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a stand-out preseason campaign, North defender Joel Tippett has been rewarded with an early elevation to the senior list.

The 25-year old arrived at Arden Street via the 2013 Rookie Draft from West Adelaide where he spent two years in the SANFL. Given this news, he could be in-line to debut for the Roos on Friday night against Essendon.

“He certainly has deserved this elevation after some strong performances down back for us this pre-season,” Director of Football Geoff Walsh said.

Tippett began his career at the Brisbane Lions in 2007 and later moved to the Gold Coast Suns in 2011. He played in all three practice matches during North’s pre-season against Carlton, Hawthorn and Geelong.

“After two stints on Rookie Lists at other clubs, it’s a credit to Joel and really highlights his level of perseverance,” Walsh added.

“He’s had steady form in defence over the summer and it has definitely warranted his elevation.”

Young forward Tom Curran will be placed on the Long Term Injury list as he continues to recover from a foot injury.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-03-18/tippetts-chance-looms

This is a great reward for effort for Joel. I wonder if he'll get a call up in Round 1?

After a stand-out preseason campaign, North defender Joel Tippett has been rewarded with an early elevation to the senior list.

The 25-year old arrived at Arden Street via the 2013 Rookie Draft from West Adelaide where he spent two years in the SANFL. Given this news, he could be in-line to debut for the Roos on Friday night against Essendon.

“He certainly has deserved this elevation after some strong performances down back for us this pre-season,” Director of Football Geoff Walsh said.

Tippett began his career at the Brisbane Lions in 2007 and later moved to the Gold Coast Suns in 2011. He played in all three practice matches during North’s pre-season against Carlton, Hawthorn and Geelong.
180314_tippett_ih.jpg

More here: http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-03-18/tippetts-chance-looms

What does this mean? Generally we wouldn't upgrade unless we intended to play him. Options:
- Grima proppy or underdone? Seems to have been travelling well over preseason though.
- Hansen or Hunter injured?
- forward line a concern and they are toying with Hansen forward

Something else?

Will we ever see Tom Curran wear the blue & white? Seems to have more then a touch of the Jesse Smith about him (injury wise).

Good depth back there now.

For falls we have Thompson, Grima, Hansen, Delaney and Tippett. All legitimate AFL level options.

Mediums: Thompson, McMahon, MacMillan, Firrito, McDonald

Smalls: Thompson, Mullet, Hine, McMahon can do it too

What does this mean? Generally we wouldn't upgrade unless we intended to play him. Options:
- Grima proppy or underdone? Seems to have been travelling well over preseason though.

Something else?

Would be time for Hansen's annual change of ends...

Will we ever see Tom Curran wear the blue & white? Seems to have more then a touch of the Jesse Smith about him (injury wise).
Those foot injuries are a bitch to heal. Some come good, some don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something else?

I believe timing is important, I think for the next 5 weeks Curran is not allowed to do main training, if we wait 1, 2 or 3 weeks to elevate Tippett for when we want to give him a game it might negatively impact Curran if he is ready to resume main training but is still a fair way off being available to play.

Good move and I wish Joel all the best. He certainly adds genuine size to our KPB options.

Yeah, I think he will suit the 198cm+ forwards, expecting Thompson to line up on 200cm+ leviathans is a big ask.

I think the pleasing thing is that he quite adequately fills the void left by Car Keys.

More the key backs that are taller than 195cm.

That said, tall forward prospects can be converted I guess ...

It is a tough one, the problem with KPP juniors is the man-child type player usually do well because of the size advantage alone, it is very hit or miss if they translate that into AFL where they lose the size advantage, it is probably a safer bet to look at the younger state based recruits and see which ones show promise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back