News Past Players Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Terry Bright (or Fright) as some naughtily referred to him as, was Billy Goggin's nephew, a classy hff, and a very fair player with good goal sense, but totally opposite to GAS in the physicality stakes.
I followed his career at Geelong West before Geelong and he was outrageously good there. Very good at Geelong.
Many kids had his #4 on their backs.
Vdubs, did he go back to GWest after playing for the Cats?
I thought I met him at a GW game but he must've just gone down to watch some of his mates play as it would've been while he was still playing for Geelong (I've just checked the years he was at the GFC).
There were a bunch of us that used to go there too to watch his progress and head off into the rooms after the game,I've asked this on here before but do you remember the realy tall blond girl that used to get to the game a real bomb shell in the mould of Tatiana Grigorieva.
ah, that was probably me ... :rolleyes: My name's not really Teriyakicat, you know ;)
I remember Bright at Geelong west, mainly Joe Radajovic though. As a 13yo, I played for their u16 and u19s and looked up to Joe a fair bit. He was a gun, even in his later years.
Joe Radojevic was an extremely prolific goalkicker- I can remember him kicking bags of goals again and again (or so it seemed at the time!). How wonderful it was to be both a GFC and a Geelong West supporter because we had two of these blokes kicking The Ton one year after the other- one in 1975 *119 by JR and the other in 1976 *105 by Larry Donohue.

Here's an extract from a site that mentions Radojevic and Bright:

JOE RADOJEVIC
One of the club’s biggest stars and during his time, one of the undeniable greats of the VFA. Undoubtedly, Radojevic helped people flock through the turnstiles in the glory days of VFA football at West Oval.

He was an excitement machine that had amazing talent and skill as a key forward and could turn almost any situation into a goal. After his formative years at St Peters, he was recruited to Geelong where he had many stand out performances whilst the club looked for Doug Wade’s replacement.

Radojevic, forever overlooked, soon left and was recruited to West Oval in 1974. What became the VFL’s loss, very quickly became the VFA’s gain as the outstanding performances came thick and fast. Intuitive leading and deadly accuracy combined for 723 career goals in the Association which to this day, still sees him in the Top 10 all-time.

He played in the 1975 premiership; being named VFA Player of the Year the same season when he booted 119 goals. Later Captained the club before retiring as one of Geelong West’s greatest.

158 games, 723 goals, premiership player (1975) runners-up (1979, 1983), VFA representative, twice VFA leading goalkicker, VFA Player of the Year (1975), captain (1983-84).

TERRY BRIGHT
A true home-grown product of the Geelong West program, Bright rose through the junior ranks and played 35 senior games including the 1975 premiership before being recruited to the Geelong Football Club as a 17 year old.

A highly skilled half-forward and ruck-rover, Bright had a great football brain and was a sensational distributor of the football when it was in his hands. He went on to play 219 games and kick 331 goals at VFL level; topping the club’s goalkicking three times. A superb mark and great to watch when in full flight, he could turn a match at will.

U19 VFA championship side, premiership player (1975)

http://www.roosters.org.au/about/club-greats/

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
So why didn't Geelong grab Radojevic back when his career took off? Or did they ask him and he refused to go back? Wade had disappeared to Norf by that stage, when JR was firing on all cylinders so I can't believe the GFC didn't try and poach him from the Roosters.

So why didn't Geelong grab Radojevic back when his career took off? Or did they ask him and he refused to go back? Wade had disappeared to Norf by that stage, when JR was firing on all cylinders so I can't believe the GFC didn't try and poach him from the Roosters.
Good question.
Spoke to his cousins last week, he was tried at Geelong reserves, but was deemed to be too short for ff, but not after his stardom at Geelong West.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA

Big Laughing Larry got his chance and 3years later 105 sausage rolls.

ah, that was probably me ... :rolleyes: My name's not really Teriyakicat, you know ;)
That doesn't help,you and I went out for a short time as young teenagers I always just called you stretch.I'm sure I'd have known your name but it escapes me.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

That doesn't help,you and I went out for a short time as young teenagers I always just called you stretch.I'm sure I'd have known your name but it escapes me.
Hahaha- wasn't me, really. You obviously played the field as a young man, calling all your girlfriends "honey". ;)
I wonder if they remember you?

Terry Bright (or Fright) as some naughtily referred to him as, was Billy Goggin's nephew, a classy hff, and a very fair player with good goal sense, but totally opposite to GAS in the physicality stakes.
I followed his career at Geelong West before Geelong and he was outrageously good there. Very good at Geelong.
Many kids had his #4 on their backs.

He was very good at roving the ball off the packs in the forward line too. Some thing that we lack today.
I used to go to the West games too during the old halcyon days of the VFA.
I experienced the comfortable Premiership over Dandenong in '75 and the disappointment of the close loss to Coburg in '78 at the Junction oval. Goggin should not have dumped Steve Parsons for that Granny.

Ray Card…what a tough bastard he was.

As for Silvagni…well…clearly he ducked into it. ;)

Card was tough. Not pretty to watch but never shirked an issue.

Frappe

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
I watched him closely in a game back in 1984, he was absolutely horrible and got out bullied by Leigh Matthews who kicked 7.3 on him. Was kind of expecting a bit of anger or something but he must have been off that day or something.

Unfortunately dogged with injuries after he won the B&F in 1983. I think he did a knee twice including Rd 1 in 1985. Completely lost his mobility and could really only run in a straight line. Not sure if this affected him this day against Leigh Matthews mind you...

Happy 80th birthday to Graham Vivian (Polly) Farmer.

Born March 10 1935.

One of Geelong's and a VFL's (AFL) all time great players.

I can actually say that I saw this bloke play for both Geelong and WA.

polly-farmer-6x4-600x400.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Farmer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pollyfarmer

Rookie
Nov 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I was privileged to watch him play - albeit I was only about 12 years of age - he was an absolute champion. Would love him in our current team now (not at age 80 though!!, at his 1962 to 1967 peak) - he would be very handy.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Happy 80th birthday to Graham Vivian (Polly) Farmer.

Born March 10 1935.

One of Geelong's and a VFL's (AFL) all time great players.

I can actually say that I saw this bloke play for both Geelong and WA.

polly-farmer-6x4-600x400.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Farmer

Did you know some of his match statistics are now viewable on the web?
Unfortunately, his first years at Geelong (1962-1964) are still unavailable.

1965 - Averaged 24 disposals & 5 marks per game.
1966 - Averaged 25 disposals & 6 marks per game.
1967 - Averaged 24 disposals & 5½ marks per game.

Bill Goggin, one of our greatest ever midfielders, was averaging 25½ disposals per game at the peak of his career.
Farmer was virtually gathering as many possessions as a rover did and he was a bloody ruckman :D

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team

I was at that 105 game.
He'd get slaughtered today.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Did you know some of his match statistics are now viewable on the web?
Unfortunately, his first years at Geelong (1962-1964) are still unavailable.

1965 - Averaged 24 disposals & 5 marks per game.
1966 - Averaged 25 disposals & 6 marks per game.
1967 - Averaged 24 disposals & 5½ marks per game.

Bill Goggin, one of our greatest ever midfielders, was averaging 25½ disposals per game at the peak of his career.
Farmer was virtually gathering as many possessions as a rover did and he was a bloody ruckman :D
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone.

I was privileged enough to have the Big Cat come to our school back in the first year I was there to teach us the art of handball (St. Joey's).
He was exceptional.
Yet, how unbelievable that he is (arguably) not even our best #5 ever.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back