News Past Players Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I have thought of one aspect of Abletts one handers that were unique.

He could take them on the lead.
i.e. lead up to the wing, prop, block opponent, and take it.
In reality that ball should bounce out 9 times of 10 due to momentum. Somehow it didn't for him.

I'm not sure anyone else does that. Past or present.

I have thought of one aspect of Abletts one handers that were unique.

He could take them on the lead.
i.e. lead up to the wing, prop, block opponent, and take it.
In reality that ball should bounce out 9 times of 10 due to momentum. Somehow it didn't for him.

I'm not sure anyone else does that. Past or present.
The only player that used to thrill me in marking contest APART from Ablett was Tony Modra. Just a brilliant and frequent and speccy mark. Not sure about his one-handers.
The other player who had a pretty good grab of a mark was Fevola.
Jeremy Howe is pretty amazing.
But like WE ALL seem to agree, Ablett was peerless in the way he could take every sort of mark in and out of the book.

Also, how often he'd be falling to the ground with someone hanging off him only to grab a one hander was a trend setter.

The only player that used to thrill me in marking contest APART from Ablett was Tony Modra. Just a brilliant and frequent and speccy mark. Not sure about his one-handers.
The other player who had a pretty good grab of a mark was Fevola.
Jeremy Howe is pretty amazing.
But like WE ALL seem to agree, Ablett was peerless in the way he could take every sort of mark in and out of the book.

Also, how often he'd be falling to the ground with someone hanging off him only to grab a one hander was a trend setter.
Honestly. I think the thing that separated him was a basic thing. (apart from skill)
Timing.

But he did the basics with timing better.
His son has it.

Honestly. I think the thing that separated him was a basic thing. (apart from skill)
Timing.

But he did the basics better.
His son has it.
True. Timing. And brute strength too. The number of times he would crash through a pack like a bowling strike, leaving the pack skittled and him intact landing on his feet with near perfect balance was remarkable.
TIMING.
And strength.

True. Timing. And brute strength too. The number of times he would crash through a pack like a bowling strike, leaving the pack skittled and him intact landing on his feet with near perfect balance was remarkable.
TIMING.
And strength.
Absolutely. Its what jnr does.
Ball hits ground in open space, and it's like he waited for it to happen.
Everyone is already at top speed, he isn't.

"thats mine" Bang, crash.

Thats how his dad played. "I'm better than you"

Must be fun when it's actually true.:D

Much like Maradona before the 1986 World Cup - said there was no player who could stop him. Worked out like that as well.

Those two players displayed the best concentrated form I've ever seen - Ablett in the 1989 finals series, and Maradona in the 1986 World Cup. I've never seen any athlete since come close to either.

Last edited:
There is a whole thread about Billy Ryan which maybe should be in this thread- that was the idea, dedicating a player a week or a day, whatever comes, but there are heaps of interesting players from our past that are deserving of their own sub-thread.

There is a whole thread about Billy Ryan which maybe should be in this thread- that was the idea, dedicating a player a week or a day, whatever comes, but there are heaps of interesting players from our past that are deserving of their own sub-thread.
Maybe I'll just drop another name (or two) in here and you can tell me what you remember about him/them, Vdubs. You seem to remember so much more than I do from all those years ago.
Do you remember David Manson and Terry Bright?

I remember meeting quite a few players when they played for Geelong West. Used to really hero-worship them as a youngster- even into my teens- and they were just so lovely and polite when I met them IRL.
Do you have any video clips, Bobby? I only have vague memories as I followed the footy on the radio back in those days and rarely saw the games.

Terry Bright (or Fright) as some naughtily referred to him as, was Billy Goggin's nephew, a classy hff, and a very fair player with good goal sense, but totally opposite to GAS in the physicality stakes.
I followed his career at Geelong West before Geelong and he was outrageously good there. Very good at Geelong.
Many kids had his #4 on their backs.

Terry Bright (or Fright) as some naughtily referred to him as, was Billy Goggin's nephew, a classy hff, and a very fair player with good goal sense, but totally opposite to GAS in the physicality stakes.
I followed his career at Geelong West before Geelong and he was outrageously good there. Very good at Geelong.

Probably only because their mums couldn't fit on the whole no. 14. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember Bright at Geelong west, mainly Joe Radajovic though. As a 13yo, I played for their u16 and u19s and looked up to Joe a fair bit. He was a gun, even in his later years.

All young kids should watch videos of Ablett marking the footy.

He could be scragged by multiple opponents but he never diverted his attention away from the ball.
Even when he fended off an opponent to hold his ground in a marking contest, he always kept his eyes on the ball. Basic stuff. But the great players are masters of the basics.

There were a bunch of us that used to go there too to watch his progress and head off into the rooms after the game,I've asked this on here before but do you remember the realy tall blond girl that used to get to the game a real bomb shell in the mould of Tatiana Grigorieva.

One of my favourite players in the 70s was Larry Donohue. He played for the Cats from 1973-1980, was our leading goalkicker between 1975-1978 and won the Coleman Medal in 1976, after kicking 99 goals.
View attachment 95139

I can still remember how excited I was the day he kicked 8 goals straight. I just loved that bloke!
His record shows that his best haul was 9 goals (vs Sth Melb in 1976), with 6 bags of 8 goals over the course of his career.

Unfortunately Larry played only 11 games in 1979, followed by 4 games in 1980, before being traded to Fitzroy- though he never played a game for the Lions as injuries forced him to retire at the tender age of 25. :(

Back in those days, I was just a young whippersnapper- much MUCH younger than I am now- and only got footy news from the papers or the radio.

Can anyone fill me in on what Larry's injuries were?
Larry Donohue was a gun, others in the same team like Jack Hawkins and Mark Bos were some of my favs and Ray Card with that shirtfront on Keith Gregg was a ripper.

probably my fave player prior to Gaz snr, too - Turner had a big rep, but he was perenially injured when I first started supporting the Cats, Bright however was reliable and produced on a weekly basis - good player.

he was always consistent though my ole man used to say his finals werent as good as his regular season.

go back in time (amazingly retired at 29, cannot remember if he was cooked):

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/T/Terry_Bright.html

Ray Card with that shirtfront on Keith Gregg was a ripper.

that is a 6 week'er these days!!!

I remember Bright at Geelong west, mainly Joe Radajovic though. As a 13yo, I played for their u16 and u19s and looked up to Joe a fair bit. He was a gun, even in his later years.
IIRC, Joe and his brothers attended Chanel College and also played for Geelong West.

I watched him closely in a game back in 1984, he was absolutely horrible and got out bullied by Leigh Matthews who kicked 7.3 on him. Was kind of expecting a bit of anger or something but he must have been off that day or something.
Impressive memory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back