Toast Alex Pearce

Remove this Banner Ad

Big call, but I think this guy has just become massive in our finals campaign. Haven't been this excited about a rookie in a very, very long time.
Nah I'm with you all the way on all of that. Reckon he is growing exponentially each week, looking like he is going to cause some havoc for oppo backs come finals time.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned we should sign him up for 5 years, and that others are noticing his obvious talent. Copped a bit of criticism at the time. I am more convinced than ever that we should sign him long term and do it ASAP. Alex Pearce on a 5 year contract is a no brainier IMHO.

There must be other clubs looking at him particularly after today.
A 200cm, 20yr old key position player with 10 games experience who can play forward or back.
Exactly. He is ticking boxes and kicking goals in all positions be is tasked with but that isn't the reason.

His fundamentals are super sound. Marking nous isnt something that can be taught, technique in the contest can but sticking the ball in your hands when you have no right to do it is natural talent.

It's like Stephen Hill's kicking action.

He makes himself dangerous and the team already trust him to hit up his lead.

His field kicking is top notch.

Plenty of forwards would have lost the contested marking contest to their opponent by trying to mark themselves, and I know I criticised him over picking this point previously, but he killed that defensive mark with a fist through the ball and kept us in attack.

He will get stronger and his shins are a worry still but he isnt getting shorter and he will be able to mark, getting himself to good places.

He could be anything but even if he never improves at all he is still worth a spot in the side.

Lock. Him. Down.

Every club in the competition can find a spot for him but Carlton, St Kilda and Essendon will have the means to make an offer he can't refuse.

Exactly. He is ticking boxes and kicking goals in all positions be is tasked with but that isn't the reason.

His fundamentals are super sound. Marking nous isnt something that can be taught, technique in the contest can but sticking the ball in your hands when you have no right to do it is natural talent.

Plenty of forwards would have lost the contested marking contest to their opponent by trying to mark themselves, and I know I criticised him over picking this point previously, but he killed that defensive mark with a fist through the ball and kept us in attack.

He will get stronger and his shins are a worry still but he isnt getting shorter and he will be able to mark, getting himself to good places.

He could be anything but even if he never improves at all he is still worth a spot in the side.

Lock. Him. Down.

Every club in the competition can find a spot for him but Carlton, St Kilda and Essendon will have the means to make an offer he can't refuse.
He'd look good in a yellow and brown jumper - joking!!

He is an immense talent. Makes you wonder why we haven't targeted talls in the recent drafts if we can identify talent like that.

Do we know what that is? Is it shin splints? If so, they could well recede over time. I had them quite bad for a good 8-10 months when I was about his age and on high physical activity load. They usually do pass though from little I know.

As for AP in general, I'm just wrapped with how he's coming on.

Forgetting physical attributes, his aptitude in all facets at the top level is incredible. He plays with such confidence and has a lighting fast mind. His skills for a big guy are certainly solid enough, only slight question mark is as a fwd he doesn't have the most penetrating kick at goal I've seen. But it's the way he carries himself on the field in general - for such an inexperienced player, that's what impresses me so much.

Fingers crossed the AFL won't bring in a Tasmanian team in the next couple years, our list would be raided first for local talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we actually lost him I'd flip out. We've been screaming for a solid KPP for years, now we finally have one we must lock him in.

As for AP in general, I'm just wrapped with how he's coming on.

Forgetting physical attributes, his aptitude in all facets at the top level is incredible. He plays with such confidence and has a lighting fast mind. His skills for a big guy are certainly solid enough, only slight question mark is as a fwd he doesn't have the most penetrating kick at goal I've seen. But it's the way he carries himself on the field in general - for such an inexperienced player, that's what impresses me so much.

he'll have to do alot of work on his kicking in the off season, as his kicks seem to be very loopy, and fade quite a bit.

One of those really easy things to fix. What he does have his footy nous. If i was Tabs i'd be seriously worried about getting another game.

Lock. Him. Down.

'His fundamentals are super sound'
How well do you know this young man?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back