Gubby Allan Quits GWS... Melbourne Bound

Remove this Banner Ad

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
Graeme Allan who has built the Giants list and been monumental in helping them to retain and attract talent has made GWS' off field staff and already small recruiting team even smaller today as he has announced he will be resigning and moving back to Melbourne...

"With my wife having moved to Melbourne this year to be closer to our children and grandchildren. The time is right for me to join them," Allan said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-...-boss-graeme-allan-quits-to-head-to-melbourne

Fair enough. I guess a few questions arise from this in my mind;

Is this a bit similar to the Newbold situation, with Gubby destined to have a role with the AFL after quitting their clubs abruptly? I didn't buy this from Fitzpatrick re. Newbold when appointed to the AFL commision.

"“I only recently became aware Andrew might be available to join the AFL Commission as part of regular discussions on key issues within the game that our Commission has with all club leaders. In the last few weeks, I was able to convince him to put his name forward."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-17/newbold-trainor-to-join-afl-commission

The cynic in me says that the commision knows old Gil might be needing a bit of help and they've had to poach a little in order to get the best support around him (Mark Evans, Andrew Newbold, Gubby?)

Or could Allan be linking up with SOS at Carlton who could probably use a man of his experience and expertise, or has he been offered a sweet deal at another Victorian club?

Another question that crops up is whether or not there is something rotten at the Giants? The Lamberts, SOS and now Allen have up and left in crucial times for the fledgling club. Of course CEO Matthews has pushed the 'nothing to see here' line, but is there more to it?

Graeme Allan who has built the Giants list and been monumental in helping them to retain and attract talent has made GWS' off field staff and already small recruiting team even smaller today as he has announced he will be resigning and moving back to Melbourne...

"With my wife having moved to Melbourne this year to be closer to our children and grandchildren. The time is right for me to join them," Allan said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-...-boss-graeme-allan-quits-to-head-to-melbourne

Is this a bit similar to the Newbold situation, with Gubby destined to have a role with the AFL after quitting their clubs abruptly? I didn't buy this from Fitzpatrick re. Newbold when appointed to the AFL commision.

"“I only recently became aware Andrew might be available to join the AFL Commission as part of regular discussions on key issues within the game that our Commission has with all club leaders. In the last few weeks, I was able to convince him to put his name forward."

The cynic in me says that the commision knows old Gil might be needing a bit of help and they've had to poach a little in order to get the best support around him (Mark Evans, Andrew Newbold, Gubby?)

Or could Allan be linking up with SOS at Carlton who could probably use a man of his experience and expertise, or has he been offered a sweet deal at another Victorian club?

Another question that crops up is whether or not there is something rotten at the Giants? The Lamberts, SOS and now Allen have up and left in crucial times for the fledgling club. Of course CEO Matthews has pushed the 'nothing to see here' line, but is there more to it?
He spent 6 years at the club and is going to be in control of selecting his successor. He owes us nothing as far as I'm concerned. Also his wife, kids and grandkids are all going to be in Victoria so I hold no ill will.

Lamberts moved to help his old club in a time of crisis and for family reasons, once again he gave us many years of service and the club was thankful for all they have done.

SOS got an offer from his old club that he and his father played many years for. His son is also there now and he spent many years with us.

But dramatic with the up and left at crucial times line me thinks

GWS has done better than expected at retaining staff and players in my opinion. Theres been a few notable departures on and off the field but I would have been shocked if there weren't.

This post seems a little too speculative. Surely we leave the conspiracy theories until after he signs with the AFL or a club (if that does happen)

TLDR?

"Homesick"

Exactly. It was plain to see. birdies said he will retire early in the season, i even posted as such in the trade threads and end up at the pies with a big thank you job waiting for him.

just watch :)
Treloar deal...cough, cough...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thread should be moved to the moon landing conspiracy thread on conspiracy board.

In some ways the initial start up job at GWS has been completed football wise and it's over to the consolidation phase that sees them make finals for a few years.

They've got a swag of talented kids in. A decent retention percentage given they were never going to keep them all - Cameron, Shiel, Coniglio, Patton, Whitfield, Haynes, WHE, Kelly etc is a good base to hold on to. They've got the generous academy pipeline up and rolling. And Mumford, Griffen and Shaw were the senior players badly needed to support Davis, Ward and Scully.

It seemed like a reasonable time for SOS and the Lambers to move on. SOS got them as much talent as a team could ever hope for. The Lamberts did a really nice job and now with academy kids from country NSW coming in there's less of a challenge there.

Gubby's move might not make as much sense given so much change already, but again there's probably not all that much that needs to happen from a football admin point of view at the Giants right now. If the coaching, development and culture are set up right the young giants will thrive. If they are off the mark like Gold Coast were then they'll crumble and then do you want the guy who set it all up still in charge for the rebuild? A fresh set of eyes sounds like a good idea to me and it could be a really good opportunity for someone to build their career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back