When will the AFL see a return on their investment on GWS and Gold Coast?

When will GWS and Gold Coast start making money??

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 versus the Storm coming off a GF appearance....

Announced crowd of 17,300 but there is no way there is half that using #Giantscrowdanalysis

asked this very same question on league unlimited twitter ..... within minutes was attacked by someone called ritchigrub (or whatever) .... and then not long after banned by the twitter account itself ... talk about sensitive

i mean ... the visual evidence is compelling i would have thought

asked this very same question on league unlimited twitter ..... within minutes was attacked by someone called ritchigrub (or whatever) .... and then not long after banned by the twitter account itself ... talk about sensitive

...and for me, I couldn't care less that Eels and the A League for that matter, massively inflate their attendances at that stadium (and most other stadiums in those competitions, but for the fact that the same people who are sensitive to the suggestion are so obsessed over Giants and Suns crowd figures being inflated

This one was over half full apparently....

I've seen that account pop up on Twitter quite a lot. Quick to take jabs at the AFL, but incredibly sensitive at even the slightest poke at the NRL.

2030s, both need to play all games at home and build their home bases. Canberra needs to be team 20 so GWS can fully focus on West Sydney.

Depending on how things go, I feel the 2030s is when we'll likely see GWS Giants revert to 11 home games.

From 2018, admittedly, the date would likely be pushed out by a number of years due to recent events in recent years- Giants say $167m investment will pay off

"Giants chairman Tony Shepherd insists they are on track “to become a fully viable club with a solid membership and fan base” by about 2032."

Read into the 2032 date what you will but it also coincides with the Canberra partnership ensuring the GIANTS remain Canberra’s AFL team through to at least 2032.

More recently from 2022 - Former AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou tips GWS Giants to be ‘much bigger’ than Gold Coast Suns
"Former AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou is adamant the GWS Giants will one day become a powerhouse club"

Would love to know their updated timeframes but it was always intended to be a longer-term strategy.

Grew up in Western Sydney NRL Heartland and never enjoyed NRL/footy. Well, until I went to an AFL game, now I love the AFL kind of footy. :D

Depending on how things go, I feel the 2030s is when we'll likely see GWS Giants revert to 11 home games.

From 2018, admittedly, the date would likely be pushed out by a number of years due to recent events in recent years- Giants say $167m investment will pay off

"Giants chairman Tony Shepherd insists they are on track “to become a fully viable club with a solid membership and fan base” by about 2032."

Read into the 2032 date what you will but it also coincides with the Canberra partnership ensuring the GIANTS remain Canberra’s AFL team through to at least 2032.

More recently from 2022 - Former AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou tips GWS Giants to be ‘much bigger’ than Gold Coast Suns
"Former AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou is adamant the GWS Giants will one day become a powerhouse club"

Would love to know their updated timeframes but it was always intended to be a longer-term strategy.

Grew up in Western Sydney NRL Heartland and never enjoyed NRL/footy. Well, until I went to an AFL game, now I love the AFL kind of footy. :D
Exactly. Until 2032, the reality is that our club will continue to play at least 3 AFL games and 1 AFLW games annually in Canberra. This was a contract that the club, ACT government and the AFL all signed and are happy with. What happens after 2032 I guess will be dependent on various factors, including decisions on Team 20, crowds etc.

A good news story of AFL putting effort (and money) into new and diverse areas of Sydney...

Sounds good, but as usual the 'nrl heartland' crap gets used any time the AFL try to do anything in Sydney. It's funny, I don't see many Chinese players in the NRL, however they still managed to present it as an 'invasion'.

A good news story of AFL putting effort (and money) into new and diverse areas of Sydney...

Great initiative - though, can't help but think the story seems to centre around Hurstville unless they're trying to say that the Parramatta region has an equally sizable population of Chinese heritage?

I would disagree and think they should change course for Parramatta but if that's what they're going with then okay.

A news story with good news but not a good news story by any means typical of the guardian.
The slant of the article is terrible and typical of the guardian.
I would say any Chinese in NRL "heartland' playing football would be playing soccer
and the article talks about the Chinese playing football in Ballarat - no NRL heartland there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Australian game invading 'Australia' to displace an imported game. It's very dumb if you think about it.

I do like the idea, however I'd like to see the Indian community targeted personally. I think there is more chance of success there, as the bulldogs have been trying to capture the Asian market in western Melbourne for the past 30 years apparently, with no success. Indians could have the footy door opened via there cricket club, seem to be into sports more and it is the most high percentage born overseas nationality that surrounds giants stadium.

The plan to get more Pi's playing the game with the OTT signing of Israel Folau didn't go to plan.
I have no problem if someone makes a clubs list on merit, but please no more PR stunts

The Australian game invading 'Australia' to displace an imported game. It's very dumb if you think about it.

I do like the idea, however I'd like to see the Indian community targeted personally. I think there is more chance of success there, as the bulldogs have been trying to capture the Asian market in western Melbourne for the past 30 years apparently, with no success. Indians could have the footy door opened via there cricket club, seem to be into sports more and it is the most high percentage born overseas nationality that surrounds giants stadium.

I agree and that's precisely what my post was alluding to as west of Giants stadium, the Parramatta area and suburbs extending out have a sizable population of Indian heritage.

You could just follow the T1 Western Train Line from Toongabbie, Pendle Hill, Wentworthville, Westmead to Parramatta as there's a potential market right there. According the ABS some of these suburbs have seen some notable increases in income also which has led them to having a median individual income above the nationwide median of $805 a week.

Per the Sydney Morning Herald on figures from the 2021 census - Working-class suburbs make the rich list: Tracking Sydney’s changing fortunes

1687674633627.png

The AFL has for previously indicated that the reason for another Sydney team was that incomes would be rising in their Western Sydney target market, which it is.

Would personally love to see some more AFL fans getting on the train from these stations heading to a game. :D

Last edited:

It's the Guardian. Likely the only reason that got published was to get the concept of the AFL "invading" in the article. Written by a rugby union journo

I find this "non-whites won't follow footy" angle weird. I've got plenty of non-white mates who follow AFL.

People are saying that newly arrived immigrants won't follow footy, but the Giants aren't targeting them. They're targeting their kids. Pumping Auskick into schools, giving away free tickets, introducing footy culture early on. From what I've seen, they're also working hard to integrate into multicultural events as well.

Greater Western Sydney is absolutely huge. The Giants don't need to convert everybody, but there's more than enough people than can be converted for the Giants to be successful.
i played for Pennant Hills and one of our teams best player was of Indian descent, and his parents and older brother are die hard fans as well.

Heck, one of the best players in our comp made Geelong's list, but injuries ended his career and he was of Sri Lankan descent.

Just get into the school networks through auskick and grow from there.

I've said it a million times, the growth in Sydney since I left (2007) is nearly double!!!!!

But it stops it shrinking. Which is actually more important. It is always cheaper and easier to keep your existing customers rather that try to find new ones.
And so far, there is little evidence to suggest that GWS are growing the game. Most of the growth in Sydney over the past d3cade has been in the Swans territory.
bs

There's at least 14 new junior clubs (there's 3 I'm not sure about, so maybe up to 17) in Sydney since when I left. 6 of them I can outright say are in Giants territory, and it comes down to arguments sake as to whether Concord or Lane Cove are as well.

Juniors has just about doubled, while seniors even more so. When I left seniors was only running about 3 divisions deep, and womens was only just starting (I know there was a club in the south - Power I think which was just women) These days mens AND womens both run 5 divisions deep.

Back