Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
The police treated the case pretty poorly from what I've read. Poor collection and presentation of key evidence, particularly DNA evidence. Then the whole glove situation, why was he putting on a glove.. while already wearing gloves!? It was amateurish at best.

As mentioned before racial tensions were at extreme levels after the Rodney King trial and I believe the jurors were frightened about any potential ramifications if they were to find him to guilty.

Also I think that the jurors didn't understand the term 'reasonable doubt' the .000000000001% chance that DNA evidence is not accurate is not reasonable doubt

The jury were also biased in his favor - I recall reading that one of them gave Simpson a salute after the not guilty verdict was announced.

Also recall many of them saying that they didn't understand the DNA evidence presented.

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Simpson case will always be synonymous with racism and prejudice. The black community literally celebrated OJ getting away with murder. True that the prosecution horribly botched the case but you have to wonder even without the glove, Fuhrman's perjury and what he rendered inadmissable - what OJ still have been acquitted? I think so.

The OJ case is reason I think A Time to Kill is such an unconscionable book/film. Celebrating vigilantism. Like OJ's case though, its all good theatre.

new evidence?!

Los Angeles (CNN)Americans revisited one of the most sensational murder trials of modern times when a new twist appeared Friday in the O.J. Simpson case.

Los Angeles police announced that a knife was allegedly found on Simpson's former estate in Brentwood, stirring memories of the stabbings of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ron Goldman outside her apartment in 1994.

The development conjured up a cast of characters from the trial that gripped the nation's attention in the mid-1990s: Remember the televised slow-speed chase of O.J. Simpson's white Bronco? His all-star legal team? The glove that did not fit? Judge Lance Ito?

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/04/us/oj-simpson-property-knife/index.html

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
Did anyone watch "The People vs OJ Simpson" on Channel 10 last night?

Thought it was pretty decent. Cuba Gooding Jr is passable as Simpson, David Schwimmer excellent as Robert Kardashian, John Travolta (who hasn't been in anything remotely decent for years) also excellent as Robert Shapiro and Sarah Paulsen as Marcia Clark the prosecutor easily the best.

Had to LOL at the preview for next week's episode - it covers the slow speed chase of Simpson when he had a warrant for his arrest, and the tagline is, "Why Did OJ Simpson Run?"

Hmm yes, I wonder...

Showbags

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
West Ham Utd
Me too, Cuba doesn't have that strong presence or arrogance to play OJ

He also is playing him from the angle that he was innocent. Which ruins it a bit for me. I want to see OJ played the way he was, a guilty man that got away with two murders. Not a wrongly accused man fighting for justice.

Anyone particularly interested in this case should youtube Vince Bugliosi OJ Case. A fantastic (and long, nearly 7 hours) dissection of the case and the mistakes of the Prosecution. Has clips from Furhman, Van Atter, Lange, Nicole's sister etc. Bugliosi is a former prosecutor and convicted Charles Manson. He even does a mock closing statement complete with actors to play the parts of Ito, Cochrane, Simpson etc.

Bugliosi really nails the prosecution and how they were almost apologetic at having to convict Simpson. And attacks them for the evidence that they refused to run with (ie the Bronco Chase, as they felt it made him look innocent because he was constantly calling for Nicole on the phone to Lange). He doesn't pull any punches on the judge, jury, prosecution, defence and Simpson himself.

One of my favourite lines from Bugliosi (paraphrased):

'Simpson said his primary goal in life would be to search for the real killer.'

'Ofcourse we all know how exhaustive a search that has been. No fairway or sand trap has been safe from his scrutiny.'

I've seen up to episode five I think it's a bit plodding tbh Travoltas eyebrows are about the most gripping element.

*Just can't buy Cuba as O.J

I'm waiting to see if Travolta can ever move his face or have all the botox injections frozen his muscles in place.

Commited a jewellery robbery or something like that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A memorabilia dealer claimed to OJ Simpson that a competing dealer had acquired some of Simpson's memorabilia illegally and Simpson apparently received advice from a so-called lawyer that it wouldn't be criminal if he took the memorabilia back, provided he didn't trespass on any property.

So he put together a crew of blokes to go round to the dealer to take back his memorabilia. His crew ended up assaulting the dealer and Simpson is now in jail. I believe he's up for parole next year.

frenchfri12

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Did anyone watch "The People vs OJ Simpson" on Channel 10 last night?

Thought it was pretty decent. Cuba Gooding Jr is passable as Simpson, David Schwimmer excellent as Robert Kardashian, John Travolta (who hasn't been in anything remotely decent for years) also excellent as Robert Shapiro and Sarah Paulsen as Marcia Clark the prosecutor easily the best.

Had to LOL at the preview for next week's episode - it covers the slow speed chase of Simpson when he had a warrant for his arrest, and the tagline is, "Why Did OJ Simpson Run?"

Hmm yes, I wonder...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah. What are the arguments against this? I don't understood why this opinion never gains any traction. Son does it, OJ an accessory after the act.
It's like the unspoken acknowledged truth by everyone involved in the case and on the fringes of it.....all the people directly/indirectly involved, emergency services, operators, police, lawyers, friends of family, etc etc, that the son did it, and OJ took the fall to protect him.

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
There's absolutely no way his son did it.

There's also absolutely no way Simpson is innocent when you look at the evidence against him.

Evidence against Simpson:

- Long history of spousal abuse and violence toward Nicole
- No alibi for the time of the murders
- Limo driver spends 30 minutes ringing the doorbell at Simpson's place at time of murders, no answer
- Limo driver does not see Simpson's car parked at his house when he arrives to pick him up to take to the airport
- Limo driver sees Simpson enter his house and then hears him over the intercom saying he has overslept. Limo driver then sees Simpson's car parked
- Changed his story for his whereabouts at the time of the murders when interviewed by the cops, first says he was outside practising his golf in his backyard, then says (as he said to the limo driver) that he was sleeping
- Tried to escape when a warrant was out for his arrest
- $8000 in cash, fake moustache and goatee found in his car after the car chase
- Writes a note strongly hinting he wants to commit suicide after escaping
- Five drops of his blood found at the murder scene
- Ron and Nicole's blood found in his car along with his own blood
- 1 glove found at murder scene and the other at Simpson's house, both have the victim's blood and Simpson's blood
- Bloody footprints at murder scene with the shoe imprint matching shoes Simpson had a pair of, as well as in the exact size of the shoe print found at the murder scene
- Simpson had a deep cut to his left middle finger the day after the murders. The five blood drops, all proven by DNA as Simpson's blood, are to the left of the victims
- Declines the right to testify at his own trial
- Writes a book years after the murders titled "If I Did It" describing 'hypothetically' how he would have committed the murders. Aside from the book reading exactly like a confession, there's no way someone who was innocent would writer such a book

Simpson got off because the prosecution screwed up the case, the judge allowed the defence to play the race card, and because the jurors were duds, not because he was innocent.

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
He also is playing him from the angle that he was innocent. Which ruins it a bit for me. I want to see OJ played the way he was, a guilty man that got away with two murders. Not a wrongly accused man fighting for justice.

Anyone particularly interested in this case should youtube Vince Bugliosi OJ Case. A fantastic (and long, nearly 7 hours) dissection of the case and the mistakes of the Prosecution. Has clips from Furhman, Van Atter, Lange, Nicole's sister etc. Bugliosi is a former prosecutor and convicted Charles Manson. He even does a mock closing statement complete with actors to play the parts of Ito, Cochrane, Simpson etc.

Bugliosi really nails the prosecution and how they were almost apologetic at having to convict Simpson. And attacks them for the evidence that they refused to run with (ie the Bronco Chase, as they felt it made him look innocent because he was constantly calling for Nicole on the phone to Lange). He doesn't pull any punches on the judge, jury, prosecution, defence and Simpson himself.

'Ofcourse we all know how exhaustive a search that has been. No fairway or sand trap has been safe from his scrutiny.'

Vincent Bugliosi's book on the Simpson trial "Outrage: The Five Reasons OJ Simpson Got Away With Murder" is a ripper and is essentially has the same content as that YouTube video series.

His hypothetical closing statement is in the book as well, he absolutely nails it.

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
Slasher murder, mental problems, doctored timecard, history of violence with knives, off his meds, cancelled dinner plans

Circumstantial at best. Nothing linking him to the crime scene.

If it wasn't Simpson and his son did it, how do you explain:

- Simpson's blood being found at the crime scene
- Nicole and Ron's blood being found in Simpson's car and at Simpson's home
- Simpson trying to escape in the low speed chase
- Simpson writing a suicide note
- Simpson writing a book titled "If I Did It"

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Circumstantial at best. Nothing linking him to the crime scene.

If it wasn't Simpson and his son did it, how do you explain:

- Simpson's blood being found at the crime scene
- Nicole and Ron's blood being found in Simpson's car and at Simpson's home
- Simpson trying to escape in the low speed chase
- Simpson writing a suicide note
- Simpson writing a book titled "If I Did It"
Simpson as an accessory after the act.

Ive stopped watching this TV Series, Cuba isn't believable. And, you are right he is playing the innocent victim and that isn't the OJ we know and saw go through court case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back