FTA-TV House of Cards

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 1 still the best and always will be. But by the end of Season 4 I think it has been the second best of the seasons so far.

One thing that I didn't quite buy Stamper growing a conscience.
1. Frank was on his death bed, Doug would do anything to keep him alive.
2. Doug has killed before, people he loved I might add, and has not been affected as much.

Why not use a spoiler tag? jesus.

Anyway, to do it the correct way:
Someone had a theory that the show is basically a memoir of Frank written by Hammershmidt. When they did the interview at the White House, Frank was speaking direct to camera, which was where Hammerschmidt was sitting.

Interesting idea, but doesn't really fit some of the fourth wall breaks like "What are you looking at?" or "Did you think I'd forgotten you?"

I thought Season 4 was another top-quality season of TV. The relationship between Claire and Frank went on some really interesting tangents that meant Robin Wright had a chance to really show her acting chops. Just nailed it and proved that the only equal to Frank's ambition, maliciousness and Machiavellian plotting is none other than his wife. And some of the best episodes were the ones that she directed as well.

My only problem about the show is it all being released at once. I enjoy binging TV, but there is something great about having a week to digest a show and talk about it with friends (or on football forums!) that makes the whole thing more enjoyable. Look at the threads for shows like Game Of Thrones and Breaking Bad and there are amazing discussions, dissecting the plot, trying to understand character's motives and making predictions for the next episode. If HOC was released one a week, it would be discussed just as much as those sorts of shows. But the extent of my discussions with friends now is simply "Where are you up to?" and "Oh, don't tell me anything then" and online it's just spoiler tags.

Anyone else feel the same?

Speaking of spoiler tags, I'm gonna bring them out now for more in-detail talk about the season.

I almost had the pivotal moment of the season (Frank being shot) ruined for me. Someone had told me that the episode had a big bombshell, so I was primed for something happening. When he read out Claire's letter about divorcing him, I thought that was the gamechanger, so I went off guard and him being shot REALLY surprised me! Maybe spoilers aren't so bad after all! Either way, having him in a bed for a few episodes was a great way to feature the other characters and made his appearances in the later-season episodes seem fresher. When he did his first break of the fourth wall, it was like we had the old Frank back again!!!

I really enjoyed seeing the to-ing and fro-ing at the Democratic convention, as it's such a bizarre procedure (that could happen with the Republicans this year!) and something far removed from Australian politics. Then the backstabbing outside of the main room was brilliant.

The terrorist ending had me shocked, not just at the brutality of the execution, but at the stony-faced reaction of the Underwoods. Chilling. They are not going to let ANYTHING get in the way of them being re-elected, even if the impending story might open up a very damaging can of worms.

Still, the prize for the most shocking scene goes to the opener, with Lucas providing the fantasy for his cellmate's wank session. Wowser! Welcome back to the show you loved after a year of waiting!!!

Now we just have to wait another year for Season 5 to drop!

I thought Season 4 was another top-quality season of TV. The relationship between Claire and Frank went on some really interesting tangents that meant Robin Wright had a chance to really show her acting chops. Just nailed it and proved that the only equal to Frank's ambition, maliciousness and Machiavellian plotting is none other than his wife. And some of the best episodes were the ones that she directed as well.

My only problem about the show is it all being released at once. I enjoy binging TV, but there is something great about having a week to digest a show and talk about it with friends (or on football forums!) that makes the whole thing more enjoyable. Look at the threads for shows like Game Of Thrones and Breaking Bad and there are amazing discussions, dissecting the plot, trying to understand character's motives and making predictions for the next episode. If HOC was released one a week, it would be discussed just as much as those sorts of shows. But the extent of my discussions with friends now is simply "Where are you up to?" and "Oh, don't tell me anything then" and online it's just spoiler tags.

Anyone else feel the same?

Speaking of spoiler tags, I'm gonna bring them out now for more in-detail talk about the season.

I almost had the pivotal moment of the season (Frank being shot) ruined for me. Someone had told me that the episode had a big bombshell, so I was primed for something happening. When he read out Claire's letter about divorcing him, I thought that was the gamechanger, so I went off guard and him being shot REALLY surprised me! Maybe spoilers aren't so bad after all! Either way, having him in a bed for a few episodes was a great way to feature the other characters and made his appearances in the later-season episodes seem fresher. When he did his first break of the fourth wall, it was like we had the old Frank back again!!!

I really enjoyed seeing the to-ing and fro-ing at the Democratic convention, as it's such a bizarre procedure (that could happen with the Republicans this year!) and something far removed from Australian politics. Then the backstabbing outside of the main room was brilliant.

The terrorist ending had me shocked, not just at the brutality of the execution, but at the stony-faced reaction of the Underwoods. Chilling. They are not going to let ANYTHING get in the way of them being re-elected, even if the impending story might open up a very damaging can of worms.

Still, the prize for the most shocking scene goes to the opener, with Lucas providing the fantasy for his cellmate's wank session. Wowser! Welcome back to the show you loved after a year of waiting!!!

Now we just have to wait another year for Season 5 to drop!

I read early in the thread that Ep 4 was a big shock. * that campaigner who wrote that...in the end it was about the only thing that could happen.

Doug is still a slimey piece of s**t...wat about the whole glass over the face/obedience jumping scene...nekminit he is trawling the Internet at Mrs Donor Widow...I was waiting for him to pull it out and have the cat in the ceiling appear over his shoulder.

The two great scenes were Frank and the Sec of State in the Oval Office and then the Mr Alphabetshootcth name Journo in the finale in the Oval Office. I love how Frank admits things and then in the next breath says 'as if...as if I would'.

The two scenes involving the Rib Man...first with Frank...'Mr ******* President' or whatever it was and then with Mr Alphabetshootcth in the alleyway.

Thought Remy was good to have grown some balls by the end.

That creepy breakfast scene threesome that ended Ep 11....could you imagine....nup...

I got close....at the end of last season I thought Claire would run against Frank....nearly happened.

Yep so many great things, but you're right...to few people to talk about it with who have seen the whole Season!

I read early in the thread that Ep 4 was a big shock. **** that campaigner who wrote that...in the end it was about the only thing that could happen.

Doug is still a slimey piece of s**t...wat about the whole glass over the face/obedience jumping scene...nekminit he is trawling the Internet at Mrs Donor Widow...I was waiting for him to pull it out and have the cat in the ceiling appear over his shoulder.

The two great scenes were Frank and the Sec of State in the Oval Office and then the Mr Alphabetshootcth name Journo in the finale in the Oval Office. I love how Frank admits things and then in the next breath says 'as if...as if I would'.

The two scenes involving the Rib Man...first with Frank...'Mr ******* President' or whatever it was and then with Mr Alphabetshootcth in the alleyway.

Thought Remy was good to have grown some balls by the end.

That creepy breakfast scene threesome that ended Ep 11....could you imagine....nup...

I got close....at the end of last season I thought Claire would run against Frank....nearly happened.

Yep so many great things, but you're right...to few people to talk about it with who have seen the whole Season!
All I said was Ep 4 then put the rest in spoiler tags. If you opened it and read it that's your own ******* fault.

(If you meant me. If not, carry on)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All I said was Ep 4 then put the rest in spoiler tags. If you opened it and read it that's your own ******* fault.

(If you meant me. If not, carry on)

Have you looked back at the two responses after your post?

If that's not saying something about
Ep 4
well call me ManWithAName....

OK, done with season 4. That really drew the strands of the first three seasons together in some nice ways. Character cameos galore!

Now all they need to do is make Claire interesting. As has been mentioned, very few people in HOC are nice, but Frank at least has a personality to make his screen time enjoyable. Claire just feels so bland by comparison...

I did like the dual look-to-camera at the end though. I wouldn't mind hearing from Claire like that at some point.

I do somewhat hope that season 5 is the last though. This finale seems to have lined a lot of things up that I can't see being dragged out beyond 13 episodes.

OK, done with season 4. That really drew the strands of the first three seasons together in some nice ways. Character cameos galore!

Now all they need to do is make Claire interesting. As has been mentioned, very few people in HOC are nice, but Frank at least has a personality to make his screen time enjoyable. Claire just feels so bland by comparison...

I did like the dual look-to-camera at the end though. I wouldn't mind hearing from Claire like that at some point.

I do somewhat hope that season 5 is the last though. This finale seems to have lined a lot of things up that I can't see being dragged out beyond 13 episodes.

If they had her had her palm read in S01, she could be Lady Macbeth. I don't mind her, though she was cuter in Forest Gump.

Really? I think Clare is a really compelling character and just as ambitious and scheming as Frank is, but can do humility a lot better!

Just finished season 4 and really loved it
season 3 probably dipped a bit for me...
Slight criticism - I was kind of hoping for a little bit more out of Neve Campbells's character (20 year obsession here!!!)

last scene of last episode was chilling

stunning television imo.

that last scene, jesus christ. Incredible. When Frank did his to camera bit, and Claire NOTICED IT it just blew my mind. First time ever that anyone has ever reacted to an to camera by Frank, so it was a major evolution of that particular genius narrative technique. So then we she also turned and looked straight down the camera it was utterly amazing. I literally had spine tingles. God ******* damn I love this show and I love Kevin Spacey so much and I can't wait for next season.

I thought they might hold off the story breaking until next season and have it about the house of cards coming down, but now I'm so thrilled because they have almost certainly negated it and the journey will continue

Just finished Season 4 and in my opinion, it was captivating. The other three seasons were really good, but I needed a break to digest the storylines every couple of episodes. With this Season, I just had to keep watching!

A few notes:

1. As entertaining as Frank was, I hope he gets found out. Because after killing a Washington Herald reporter and the major candidate for the Governor of Pennsylvania, threatening to kill the Secretary of State, ousting a sitting president through false impeachment, committing large scale corruption and conspiring to kill a prostitute, he had a human side to him; most exemplified by his relationship to Freddy, the rib guy. Sure his relationships with Meechum and Vice President Blythe were good, but his relationship with Freddy was kind of refreshing amidst the bravado, scheming and evil doing. When his suggestion for the send off for Freddy consisted of him cooking ribs for a party in keeping with his ever present and perpetual status as "the help", that eliminated what little bit of humanity Frank had left. The guy needs to be found out and jailed for the s**t he's done.

2. Claire's taking it up to the President was fantastic and showed how conniving the two of them are as a team.

3. Doug needs to be murdered. He's a psychopathic menace and the thought of him killing while he's meant to be the senior adviser to the leader of the free world irks me. He's just a weird little man.

4. Old mate Hammerschmidt will find out everything eventually. I always liked him and seeing him expose the President for everything he is will make me smile.

5. The sexual dynamics of the President, First Lady and those close to them are interesting, although far fetched. Sure, we don't believe that Barack and Michelle only do missionary and we know about Lady Eleanor's rug munching escapades, but they're about three episodes away from having a 46-way between the President, First Lady and the Democratic members of the US Senate.

6. That widower seemed nice, but that whole sexually charged moment with Doug in the finale made me want to plough through the TV and say "bitch, he a killer!".

7. The scene between Frank and Catherine Durant made me yell out "holy shiiiiiiit!". Great TV.

8. I think they need to end the series next season. The theoretical meaning of a House of Cards centres on the notion that if there's an imbalance in a delicate structure, the structure can crumble at any time. Frank's mistakes haven't been a mere imbalance in the very delicate structure of the US Presidency, rather a god damned avalanche. He will be found out, and whenever that is, it will mark the end of a very accurate and well done political drama.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back