Roast Our goal kicking coach (Gia) is not working out....

Remove this Banner Ad

He has been missing a lot this year but its not at all due to technique. He actually has a very, very good technique now and is normally an amazing set shot. Went from being absolutely garbage in 2014 to very good in 2015. Notice if he has a shot from a tough angle he will never try to run around, he always kicks a drop punt. It's because of the belief in his technique.
Gotta disagree here. Showed he can be a beast against Melbourne, 15 marks - nuts. But kicked 2.4 that day, with some shocking shots on goal.

Terrific mark of the football, I wish we had someone that was that reliable in a contest, but his kicking definitely is a liability at this stage.

How much does our high intensity, high pressure , high press impact our ability in front of goal?
I would have thought with lower rotations (obviously this wasn't an issue last year) and the game style we play guys are always pretty knackered. Fatigue impacts technique, just wondering whether this has more to do with than we think.

He kicked 6 against Melbourne last year but okay...
Was 5 goals actually, but when I said his best game to date I meant his overall stats - 21 disposals and 15 marks. Bloke was everywhere. Just couldn't kick straight.

45% accuracy so far this season, see how he goes.

The problem is the sport science guys, they only allow players maybe 10 set shots a night, think back to pluggers day or any great goal kicker they would do 100s every training night.

Also it'll have lot to do with the high pace footy that we play, players are stuffed when they are having a shot.

Our players seem to miss far too many shots at goal that other clubs would slot. Hunter and Jong last in the 2nd quarter today are perfect examples.

Miind you, this has been happening for several years and last years elimination final is another example.

Who is the goal kicking coach at the Bulldogs because his tutoring is not working ........ and hasn't been working for quite a long time!
I'm sure every club would like to improve their goal kicking but there are psychological issues as well as mechanical ones. Some players are just not goal kickers, Shiels and Stratton for us, Ceglar has a history of missing regulation shots.

Breust and Gunston had very accurate 2014s which Luke Breust, in an interview, attributed to doing shots of goal when very tired, which more accurately simulated a game situation. Coaching staff can work on the mechanical side of goal kicking to get consistent run up and ball drop etc but can't control the little man in the head. How many kicking coaches has Cloke had?

I'm sure every club would like to improve their goal kicking but there are psychological issues as well as mechanical ones. Some players are just not goal kickers, Shiels and Stratton for us, Ceglar has a history of missing regulation shots.

Breust and Gunston had very accurate 2014s which Luke Breust, in an interview, attributed to doing shots of goal when very tired, which more accurately simulated a game situation. Coaching staff can work on the mechanical side of goal kicking to get consistent run up and ball drop etc but can't control the little man in the head. How many kicking coaches has Cloke had?
The issue is that several previously good goal kickers have regressed over the past few years for us - Stringer and Boyd in particular were excellent in juniors and quite good early in their AFL careers but have worsened over time. Jarrad Grant was an exceptional set shot early in his career but by the time his time at the Dogs wound up he was atrocious. We have a number of guys that have always been poor set shots also - Roughead and Dahlhaus, for example - but there are a number of guys that just seem to be getting worse and that's where my concern comes in. Something isn't right from my perspective.

Anyone know how to compare our shots-on-goal* accuracy year on year?

*no. I know you're thinking about it. Let it go.....

The issue is that several previously good goal kickers have regressed over the past few years for us - Stringer and Boyd in particular were excellent in juniors and quite good early in their AFL careers but have worsened over time. Jarrad Grant was an exceptional set shot early in his career but by the time his time at the Dogs wound up he was atrocious. We have a number of guys that have always been poor set shots also - Roughead and Dahlhaus, for example - but there are a number of guys that just seem to be getting worse and that's where my concern comes in. Something isn't right from my perspective.
Exactly my original point!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good topic. Our set shot kicking is terrible and like the original dude said it actually seems to be getting worse not better and cost us on the weekend.
In the first game against Fremantle we pretty much dominated the entire game,it was a good win in the end but we should have ended up winning by over 100 points but our goal kicking was terrible. In the 2nd and 3rd quarters we pretty much peppered the goals for what seemed constant behinds. Didn't cost us in that game but it did on the weekend and it might in an important game.

We should start a Western Bulldogs crowd funding campaign to get Big Baz down there. He would be awesome for Tom Boyd.

Stephen Kernahan is the man we need as a goal kicking coach
he could make the ball spin in ways it was never made to spin.
I have a morbid fascination with the truly rank kicks it's like
Forrest Gump said "you never know what you get next" they
truly make the game worth watching as long as they are on
someone else's team.

Unfortunately the poor kicking at goal trend continued today ....... with the Footscray team apparently wasting many opportunities.

It continues on again tonight. Numerous set shots missed that good teams simply dont miss.

this has been going on for too long and the incumbent is obviously incapable of teaching our players to improve in front of goal.

Time to move him on.

Agree we have been disgraceful for a while and it's even worse this season.

If we can't convert sitters from 25 out when we're 8 goals up against rubbish opposition (under the roof), what hope is there in the heat of finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back