Society/Culture Fat City - What can stop obesity?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen examples of dieticians veering away from the food pyramid and then being disassociated with DAA.
Maybe so for the DAA (i'd like to see evidence though), never heard anything like that about NA, can't see how they would disassociate people, 99% of the time they'd have no idea what the registered individuals were saying unless a complaint was made

Maybe so for the DAA (i'd like to see evidence though), never heard anything like that about NA, can't see how they would disassociate people, 99% of the time they'd have no idea what the registered individuals were saying unless a complaint was made

Yeah i'm not going to be able to post the example that i'm referring to - I believe this person was a semi famous blogger hence it was well publicised.

Yeah i'm not going to be able to post the example that i'm referring to - I believe this person was a semi famous blogger hence it was well publicised.
So name them?

From dealing with NA, i find the accusation that they disassociate (see: de-register) anyone who doesn't tow the line

So name them?

I don't remember, otherwise i'd post the example, i'm not just holding out on you for the sake of it. lol.

From dealing with NA, i find the accusation that they disassociate (see: de-register) anyone who doesn't tow the line

.... you find it what?

I was referring specifically to DAA. However the guidelines from NA are s**t too. I don't have much respect for the approach they take to being healthy through diet..... "you're deficient in X so supplement with that" - that approach is like putting bandaids on holes of a sinking ship.

A more effective approach is cleaning up a persons digestion and hormones so that they absorb vitamins and minerals through their own healthy diet.

I don't remember, otherwise i'd post the example, i'm not just holding out on you for the sake of it. lol.

.... you find it what?

I was referring specifically to DAA. However the guidelines from NA are s**t too. I don't have much respect for the approach they take to being healthy through diet..... "you're deficient in X so supplement with that" - that approach is like putting bandaids on holes of a sinking ship.

A more effective approach is cleaning up a persons digestion and hormones so that they absorb vitamins and minerals through their own healthy diet.
Sorry didn't finish my thought "ludicrous" was what I was going to say

You specifically referenced both associations, don't change it now.

From your postings about them i'd say you haven't had a lot of dealings. As I said maybe it's my bias, but none of the above is true, supplements play their part, but I don't know any dietitian or nutritionist who refuses to fix the diet and just supplements.

I think you overestimate how many people actually have digestive and hormone issues, it is not the major cause of deficiencies.

Sorry didn't finish my thought "ludicrous" was what I was going to say

You specifically referenced both associations, don't change it now.

From your postings about them i'd say you haven't had a lot of dealings. As I said maybe it's my bias, but none of the above is true, supplements play their part, but I don't know any dietitian or nutritionist who refuses to fix the diet and just supplements.

I think you overestimate how many people actually have digestive and hormone issues, it is not the major cause of deficiencies.

.... and i disagree with that. I believe they're key.
Fixing diet is good when the focus is on balancing blood sugar, hormones and repairing digestion. Just telling someone to follow a food pyramid is useless for the majority of people.

.... and i disagree with that. I believe they're key.
Fixing diet is good when the focus is on balancing blood sugar, hormones and repairing digestion. Just telling someone to follow a food pyramid is useless for the majority of people.
What are you basing that on? You feel that a large amount of people suffer from digestive and hormone issues that are causing weight gain/being unable to lose weight? There must be data to back that

Again, you seem (not intending to insult) rather clueless on the matter. There is a large grey area between "focus on balancing blood sugar..." and "telling someone to follow a food pyramid".

What are you basing your opinions on? It sounds like a lot of it is data from pushers of online products

What are you basing that on? You feel that a large amount of people suffer from digestive and hormone issues that are causing weight gain/being unable to lose weight? There must be data to back that

Again, you seem (not intending to insult) rather clueless on the matter. There is a large grey area between "focus on balancing blood sugar..." and "telling someone to follow a food pyramid".

What are you basing your opinions on? It sounds like a lot of it is data from pushers of online products

I'm studying that area.

No worries, i'm not offended :)

Junk food isn't cheaper than preparing your own food, if you know what you're doing. I shop and meal prep for me and my missus, I eat 6 meals a day, she eats 4. Cost me $80 for a weeks food (minus friday dinner, saturday lunch and dinner), there is no hope you could get that many meals as junk for cheaper.

$80 bucks......wow

well done!

So...data?

Dude, no offence but i'm not going to post data for you on the basics of how the different macro nutrients effect hormones like insulin and cortisol. It's pretty basic stuff that you can easily research yourself.

Nor am I going to educate you on the role the gut plays in thyroid hormone.

If you're at all compelled then check out youtube lectures from Bryan Walsh. If not then then lets not waste either of our time.

:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude, no offence but i'm not going to post data for you on the basics of how the different macro nutrients effect hormones like insulin and cortisol. It's pretty basic stuff that you can easily research yourself.

If you're at all compelled then check out youtube lectures from Bryan Walsh. If not then then lets not waste either of our time.

Not at all what he asked you for.

You've made some pretty big claims, and are refusing to support them in any way.
He is just asking you for evidence to support your claim.

I wasn't asking for that...if you want to be condescending at least make sure you've read the posts you're replying to

Pretty clearly suggested that you overestimate the incidence of imbalances causing people to be overweight and obese in this country, and also suggested that you don't understand what information is provided by nutritionists and dietitians

You've made some pretty big claims, and are refusing to support them in any way.
Thank god. Thought I was going crazy and not clearly making my point. I re-read my posts and still couldn't figure out where i went wrong

Cheers mate

lol, what "big claims" have i made? I said that i disagree with him when he said that hormones, blood sugar and digestion play no role in weight gain. That claim is much bigger than any claim that i've made.

You guys are hilarious :D

lol, what "big claims" have i made? I said that i disagree with him when he said that hormones, blood sugar and digestion play no role in weight gain. That claim is much bigger than any claim that i've made.

You guys are hilarious :D
I never made that claim. Don't misrepresent my posts, when i've explicitly explained it to you.

I wasn't asking for that...if you want to be condescending at least make sure you've read the posts you're replying to

Pretty clearly suggested that you overestimate the incidence of imbalances causing people to be overweight and obese in this country, and also suggested that you don't understand what information is provided by nutritionists and dietitians

Actually I do. I posted the food pyramid that i sourced from the NA website a few posts up.

As for DAA, I've seen some of their recommended meal plans, which include things like snacking on scones etc. s**t advice imo.

I'm not a professional but have done a lot of research on the area as most of my family including myself have auto-immune diseases.

Diet is a major trigger for auto-immune which turns the immune system against your own body and attacking your cells. Hashimotos
for example attacks the thyroid and this of course is responsible for producing hormones.

My punt would be 90% of people with auto-immune disease don't even know they have it and thus quietly doing damage to their body until the damage is so great it can't be repaired (the brain, joints, kidney, liver, heart, glands etc). Meaning this issue is far more relevant to far more people than currently appreciated based solely on the prevalence of modern diseases.

For me I know some wines (the sulphur) and gluten are triggers. The worse part of auto-immune is the damage to your stomach which can lead to all kinds of dramas including the inability to absorb key nutrients, the inability to digest fat and the obvious flow on effects from malnutrition.

A lot of research is being carried out in this area and I dare say obesity, cancer, Alzheimers, arthritis, heart disease, stroke etc will all drop dramatically with a better understanding and management of diet, digestion, stomach flora etc.

I'm not a professional but have done a lot of research on the area as most of my family including myself have auto-immune diseases.

Diet is a major trigger for auto-immune which turns the immune system against your own body and attacking your cells. Hashimotos
for example attacks the thyroid and this of course is responsible for producing hormones.

My punt would be 90% of people with auto-immune disease don't even know they have it and thus quietly doing damage to their body until the damage is so great it can't be repaired (the brain, joints, kidney, liver, heart, glands etc). Meaning this issue is far more relevant to far more people than currently appreciated based solely on the prevalence of modern diseases.

For me I know some wines (the sulphur) and gluten are triggers. The worse part of auto-immune is the damage to your stomach which can lead to all kinds of dramas including the inability to absorb key nutrients, the inability to digest fat and the obvious flow on effects from malnutrition.

A lot of research is being carried out in this area and I dare say obesity, cancer, Alzheimers, arthritis, heart disease, stroke etc will all drop dramatically with a better understanding and management of diet, digestion, stomach flora etc.

Power Raid, out of curiosity, was it obvious from standard tests that you had AI? Was it your thyroid?

Basically how did you discover you had AI?

I'm interested in understanding how people have found out they have AI when thyroid results are in the normal range?

cartwright

Actually I do. I posted the food pyramid that i sourced from the NA website a few posts up.

As for DAA, I've seen some of their recommended meal plans, which include things like snacking on scones etc. s**t advice imo.
"I've posted one thing and have anecdote of a thing I saw that I can't verify"

I've already said nutritionists and dietitians are like doctors. Some are complete rubbish. That doesn't mean we should generalise.

Despite you misrepresenting me and moving the goal posts I'm still waiting for data

huh? Was that relating to weight loss at all?

It's easy mate. The main cost is meat. Throw in protein powder and it puts it up slightly but still under $100 a week

I eat out too much and having dietary requirements I go to places where the chef's already know what I like and what I can and can't eat.

say 16 meals a week out at $15 - $35 a plate multiplied by 2 people plus a wine and the occasional desert

Remove this Banner Ad

Back