Society/Culture words/phrases we should stop using in society because it really isnt communicating anything useful

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
authentic: useful in comparison to an inferior copy like counterfeit money or a copy of painting but not useful in regards to the way its now used 99 percent of the time. Stop using this word to simply describe things you like. Because that is what you are all doing when you are using this word all the time. You arent describing a specific valuable trait when you say something is authentic. All you are communicating to others is you like something. Nothing more.

common sense: we live in a complicated world where the common person understands nothing about almost everything. You dont want to argue that common sense dictates such and such. Common sense leads to dumb outcomes in a complicated world. You want to argue that this is what the experts would advocate. Educated sense. And even then it still might not be enough. But its better than common sense.

your truth: there is no your truth. Just the truth.

toxic: kind of the antithesis of authentic. It is only of value when talking about physical poison. Calling someone or something toxic in a non physical way just means that it made you emotionally upset and you dont have a good reason to explain why. Its not something you want to do. Figure out why something is making you emotionally upset and work through it with reason. Then explain the reasons to make your point about why something is wrong rather then just saying its toxic. Its dumb.

There are heaps more words/phrases we can put here. Over to you.

Baby Daddy/Mummy- stop it, just...stop it.
"I want to say" - Oh, you watch too much American TV I see.
Cringe - Word is fine, get the context correct!! "Cringey" or "Cringeworthy" , NOT " that is cringe" ...stop it.
Could care less- its COULDN'T care less....WTF? This one is spreading like cancer.

There is many many more, but I am too damn fired up to think properly right now.

Last edited:
authentic: useful in comparison to an inferior copy like counterfeit money or a copy of painting but not useful in regards to the way its now used 99 percent of the time. Stop using this word to simply describe things you like. Because that is what you are all doing when you are using this word all the time. You arent describing a specific valuable trait when you say something is authentic. All you are communicating to others is you like something. Nothing more.

common sense: we live in a complicated world where the common person understands nothing about almost everything. You dont want to argue that common sense dictates such and such. Common sense leads to dumb outcomes in a complicated world. You want to argue that this is what the experts would advocate. Educated sense. And even then it still might not be enough. But its better than common sense.

toxic: kind of the antithesis of authentic. It is only of value when talking about physical poison. Calling someone or something toxic in a non physical way just means that it made you emotionally upset and you dont have a good reason to explain why. Its not something you want to do. Figure out why something is making you emotionally upset and work through it with reason. Then explain the reasons to make your point about why something is wrong rather then just saying its toxic. Its dumb.

I've put up a coupla threads that describe inaccurate definitions of certain terms, didn't end well because apparent super intellects 'can't see the forest for the trees' if you will.

I've put up a coupla threads that describe inaccurate definitions of certain terms, didn't end well because apparent super intellects 'can't see the forest for the trees' if you will.
Certain groups of people have become obsessed with labels in an almost spirtual way. Failing to recognise what a label actually is. It would be funny if it wasnt actually dominating political and social debate.

Certain groups of people have become obsessed with labels in an almost spirtual way.
'spiritual' is a good nomination unless someone uses it to describe themself to let people know they're insufferable

Bingo on your truth and toxic. I'd add gaslighting in similar vein to toxic. Stupid people seem to think every disagreement is gaslighting thanks to the dating shows they watch...

My truth- yes * 100. Postmodernism gone mainstream. Deserves to be ditched.

Literally- Yes! Gets used terribly.

To be fair- overused now. I use this myself and find myself frustrated by my own habit. It has utility so it's a favourite but I feel the overuse is blunting the effectiveness so maybe just needs a reduction

Gaslighting- the new buzz word over the past couple of years. A bit over it already

You do you- Umm...nah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find "common sense" if often used by people who cannot provide a logical or evidential explanation of their point.

Often, though not exclusively, used by right wing media types.

I personally love the phrase "common nonsense"; worthy of a thread of its own, I see it as describing the set of things that society seems to accept as true or valid for no real good reason, and which when put under a little scrutiny, is exposed to be complete bunkum.

I find "common sense" if often used by people who cannot provide a logical or evidential explanation of their point.

Often, though not exclusively, used by right wing media types.

I personally love the phrase "common nonsense"; worthy of a thread of its own, I see it as describing the set of things that society seems to accept as true or valid for no real good reason, and which when put under a little scrutiny, is exposed to be complete bunkum.
Lol I never heard that phrase before but it is actually a good one.

This is usually done to keep order in society, where the truth would produce friction between groups. Lies for social cohesion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back