Prediction Matty Knights to coach Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't personally think Knighta did terribly bad with the Bombers he at least got them to the finals in his second year& taking over from Sheeds was always maybe going to have some added pressure as well?.Maybe he did have some lack of experience when he took on the Bombers coaching job I don't know what you guys think? would the Tiges go for him though I wonder post Dimma?;)

I wonder if Brett Ratten is still interested in coaching at a senior level?

With the benefit of hindsight, his performance at Carlton was not that bad and he must have supplemented that senior coaching experience nicely via his tenure as a senior assistant at Hawthorn

Clarkson coaches are doing well at other clubs so my be Rats could be worth a try at Richmond
I'm pretty sure he came out and said that after his sons passing, he will not take on a senior coaching roll again, he is happy with the family life balance of an assistant coach.

This is the attitude which is wrong in Australian Sports.

So since then he had gone to coach a Premiership at VFL level and also become involved as a assistant coach at Geelong coaching their midfield.

You and others think he wouldn't have improved since his Essendon days after this?

Someone get Mitch Duncan's interview last year on SEN in regards to Matthew Knights where he credits him for his year....
not doubting he'd have improved. just pointing out the "messiah" factor isn't the fix we need. as i pointed out above, just look at us in the 80's re: Coaches

Kiwi,....what's Jeremy Clarkson got to do, got to do with it ?

Kiwi, I have been a listening to Tim Watson (sine patre Brownlow). Such a wise man. A natural coach to take over from Damien.

giphy.gif

Noel,

I think you had too much Central Otago Pinot Noir yesterday!

Yes was a major highlight watching with you your beloved Roy's spoil the Startled Rabbit's 300th game at Princes Park. And yes the Rabbit is not a coaches magnet board.

Haere Ra

Matty Knights had inherited a young Essendon playing group in a rebuilding phase, and some major injuries in the year he was sacked, he could do 3 things right and 1 thing not going to plan and he was hammered from pillar to post from Essendon people, they wanted their messiah, Hird, they got what they deserved. Knights was able to get them playing attacking free flowing football, but the Essendon defence was young and inexperienced and at times their game plan exposed them on the rebound. (We were exposed on the rebound many many times last night, Dimma has 7 years to get it right, Knights 3) But in time I am sure he would have got that right. Ratten had a similar game plan at Carlton, good running brigade forward susceptible ball going the other way. I am sure they have both have learned from their first major coaching experience and will be both more knowledgeable 2nd tilt at a major club, no doubt.

Matty Knights had inherited a young Essendon playing group in a rebuilding phase, and some major injuries in the year he was sacked, he could do 3 things right and 1 thing not going to plan and he was hammered from pillar to post from Essendon people, they wanted their messiah, Hird, they got what they deserved. Knights was able to get them playing attacking free flowing football, but the Essendon defence was young and inexperienced and at times their game plan exposed them on the rebound. (We were exposed on the rebound many many times last night, Dimma has 7 years to get it right, Knights 3) But in time I am sure he would have got that right. Ratten had a similar game plan at Carlton, good running brigade forward susceptible ball going the other way. I am sure they have both have learned from their first major coaching experience and will be both more knowledgeable 2nd tilt at a major club, no doubt.

Well said.

Knights is a very good option for us. Along with a couple of other assistants like Dew and Nicks. What he has an advantage of his his experience of coaching under high pressure at the s**t stained club and his vast and varied experience in different aspects of coaching.

Ratten has stated I believe he doesn't want the top job anymore. Would be an amazing assistant.

Time to bring Knighta home!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't care what he was like as a player, that has nothing to do with my argument in any way, shape or form.
He's learnt from the best up in Sydney and if he can bring some of what he's learnt under Longmire to Richmond we would be much better off.
Hardwick was tough as nails when he played however the team he coaches is soft as butter.
Our players can't even stick tackles, it's pathetic to watch and it's soft football.
Who the * is the best? Like with a list like that horse should have had 4 ******* flags. He is s**t

nor did it in the 80's as we are all to well aware!

recall knights as Ess Coach, at the end they were coping the 10 goal losses etc. he had no plan B when sides got a hold of them. which atm is no different to us now.....

There was always a faction undermining Knights because they wanted a favourite son coaching the club and because he wasnt playing some of the old timers like Lloyd and Lucas.

Also, he took over from Sheedy, their most successful ever coach. Toughest job in football mate

I would bring in Luke Hodge as an assistant to DimSim next year (assuming he retires) with a view to making him senior coach in 2018. He knows what it takes to lead men to premierships. He knows all the structures well as he coaches on field and has so for a while.
Like Sheedy, he'll be coaching the team he grew up barracking for.
I know the playing group would immediately have respect for him.

I think he'd be awesome.

Well said.

Knights is a very good option for us. Along with a couple of other assistants like Dew and Nicks. What he has an advantage of his his experience of coaching under high pressure at the s**t stained club and his vast and varied experience in different aspects of coaching.

Ratten has stated I believe he doesn't want the top job anymore. Would be an amazing assistant.

Time to bring Knighta home!

And Chris Bond as the football director!

Watched the game last night and I'm pretty sure Deledio should be the coach

Seems to have more of an idea of what's going on and what to do than the kingdom of Hardewicke. Admittedly coming off an extremely low base and probably heard it being mentioned once or twice from over the fence.

Couldn't be any worse.

Matthew Knights coaching career at Essendon.

2008 Essendon Bombers 22 8 14 0 36.4%
2009 Essendon Bombers 23 10 12 1 43.5%
2010 Essendon Bombers 22 7 15 0 31.8%

In 2009 he made finals, with a fairly experienced list, and got belted by 96 points, yes he's been under Geelongs system for a while, but lets not try and overstate his coaching career, he's been fairly average.

And Chris Bond as the football director!

And Malthouse, Sheedy as joint directors of coaching. KB as head of sports psychology. Maybe get Richo to strap on the boots again or at least be the boot strapper. And then maybe get Newy back with that Hawks IP as development coach. Campbell back as GM of football now he has extensive experience - just look at how GWS are going since he joined. Wow what an outfit we could have.

Who the **** is the best? Like with a list like that horse should have had 4 ******* flags. He is s**t

They should have won it in 2014 with Buddy, but everything went wrong on Grand Final day. Last year and (13 from memory too) they were killed by injuries, last year they lost Jack, Parker and Buddy heading into finals off the top of my head.

But what I love about them is the way they find and make hard footballers, Hannebery, Parker, Kennedy, Jack and Jones. Add in a bit of luck with 3 more hard tough guys in Mitchell, Heeney and Mills. But you can see the system works to produce these types and they value hard and tough mids with big bash and crash Ruckmen.

Roo's has brought the same philosophy to Melbourne, with some hand outs from the AFL, and got Oliver, Viney, Petracca, Tyson, Vince, Hogan and Brayshaw. Add in the Gawn as a huge bash and crash ruckmen and they have quickly gone past us.

On the other hand we have Dimma who has turned our best inside mid Dusty into an outside mid, Vlastuin into a half back flanker, ignored tuck for half a season in 2011, ignore Miles for half a season, continually given inside mid roles to average players like Thomas, Petterd, Grigg, Lonergan etc... Not to mention Dimma's aversion to Ruckman. Yes we got Maric which was great but our lack of a developing ruck 100% stems from Dimma's attitude towards them.

TL;DR

Sydney have a great philosophy for building a club, Dimma doesn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back