Get a new assitant coach!

Remove this Banner Ad

robin kennedy

Debutant
Feb 23, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I do worry a fair bit about our tackling.
I get extremely frustrated at the number of times we tackle only to see the opponent
brake the tackle or even more annoying, get the hands free and dish off to a player going past etc.
I get that it`s easy from the couch and the game is played at an incredible pace but I think, particually now
with the protection re: sling tackles it is important to get it right or at least do every thing possible to increase
to most successful % of effective tackles. The thing that players need to do is get both arms around, lock the opponents arms in, and if possible via dropping your own legs, and use your own weight to drag the opponent down. A stop is a win and gives you time to get more troops in to assist.
I would like to see us go to the idea of employing someone from a rugby background to work on this as I see it as
a definate area in which we can improve a lot and with a lot of reard to come from it.

I do worry a fair bit about our tackling.
I get extremely frustrated at the number of times we tackle only to see the opponent
brake the tackle or even more annoying, get the hands free and dish off to a player going past etc.
I get that it`s easy from the couch and the game is played at an incredible pace but I think, particually now
with the protection re: sling tackles it is important to get it right or at least do every thing possible to increase
to most successful % of effective tackles. The thing that players need to do is get both arms around, lock the opponents arms in, and if possible via dropping your own legs, and use your own weight to drag the opponent down. A stop is a win and gives you time to get more troops in to assist.
I would like to see us go to the idea of employing someone from a rugby background to work on this as I see it as
a definate area in which we can improve a lot and with a lot of reard to come from it.
Grab both arms and get pinged for holding you mean, we haven’t had a htb for six years

Players are getting better at defending tackles by holding the ball in the air when about to be tackled, and there’s not much you can do against that as it almost always draws a high. What I’ve thought of for a while now is to employ a BJJ coach that will teach the players to grapple better, although this could just increase the amount of players getting choked out 😂

I say this with absolute certainty that the umpiring of our players is the main reason for our poor tackling.
Understand where you're coming from and am loathe to defend umpires in the wake of last night but not sure they're to blame for all the half-hearted one armed efforts, the failure to pin the arms and stop the handball or watch the hips and not get constantly sidestepped. Not sure the easily broken tackles even when it's three on one are entirely their fault either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and when we tackle them correctly they allow the oppo to throw the ball as well as HTB. We just can't win in this area.
In one passage macca gets the dude cold play on and 30 secs later same tackle on our player HTB WTF how clear do these :poo: have to be we all know they are corrupt.

Kane lambert has just been appointed ,,,,keep him

Kane lambert has just been appointed ,,,,keep him
Yep need to hang onto lambo.

Massive Richmond Man and astute.

He might get pinched by Dimma if / when he takes on the Gold Coast.

Mini might end up with Dimma also should the RFC go with Carr.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back