Expansion Hunter Valley / Central Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

It may or may not be crap but it it also swings and roundabouts, i believe the GWS/Sydney game was the highest rating 7mate program for the week in Sydney.

By starting new teams in areas such as GWS and the Suns you are building for the future, imagine a league without the Swans ATM or a few years ago the Lions, i think they have added more than what they have taken.

I still maintain that Sydney will have a third team within the next 10/20 years.

It got 61K viewers....Advertisers wont be paying big bucks to get in on that, and thus Ch7 wont be paying much for it, especially as that's 2 games/year (when both teams are 'up'). Sydney market average viewers are 32,480 (VFL 'match of the round' is 52,750).

If there was a 3rd team in the Sydney region, who would pay for it? The heartland teams are already struggling to pay for the 4 charity cases up there without adding more.

That is true, the current council not keen to help, however things change, Councils change, Governments change and people change.

i have no doubt that eventually Newcastle will get a decent ground capable of holding decent cricket and football games, the bones of a great ground are already there, it is quite central.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_Number_1_Sports_Ground
Newcastle is still pretty strong NRL heart land. if any one has had much to do with that mob, the majority of them carry a large chip on their shoulder, that never seems to go away!

the other factor with Newcastle & the central coast, is that if may have a million plus people but its very spread out, an AFL team would indefinably not work there! at best the AFL can probably play a few practice games there & keep rolling out its aus kick programs there

It got 61K viewers....Advertisers wont be paying big bucks to get in on that, and thus Ch7 wont be paying much for it, especially as that's 2 games/year (when both teams are 'up'). Sydney market average viewers are 32,480 (VFL 'match of the round' is 52,750).

If there was a 3rd team in the Sydney region, who would pay for it? The heartland teams are already struggling to pay for the 4 charity cases up there without adding more.

If there was a third team in Sydney we would pay for it, the TV networks would pay for it, the established clubs would pay for it, owning Etihad would pay for it, new members and sponsors would pay for it.

And so it goes, just like the established clubs voted to let Richmond join the VFL in 1908.

Placing clubs in strategic areas in nothing new, look at Claremont FC in Perth as an example, joined the WAFL in 1927 and was a joint merger between Cottesloe Beach FC and a syndicate from Claremont.

The club played at Claremont Oval which prior to 1925 was a ground with no fence and only soccer and cricket was played there, soccer was quite strong in the Western suburbs of Perth due to strong migration from the UK, Claremont was also the home of the Teachers training college which obviously trained new teachers, the League lobbied the council to fix up Claremont Oval for a new WAFL club, an article i read states ....

The town is also the centre of the Claremont Training College, from which a great majority of the teachers of to-day, the headmasters of the future, graduate, It is also the home of two of the great colleges of the State-Scotch College and Christ Church. Both of these institutions it may be reckoned will be doubled in membership during the next decade.

EFFECT ON THE FUTURE.
The presence of a League team at Claremont would have its effect on the Training College, which is now playing under Australian Rules after fifteen years
of being in favor of another code. While teachers are being turned out of College with a strong bias in favour of another code they represent a standing danger to The Australian game, the tastes of the Master will in many instances find expression in the games set down for the pupils.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...b wafl&searchLimits=l-state=Western+Australia

The AFL will do what it thinks is necessary to advance the game of football and if that means a 3rd Sydney team is on the horizon then sobeit, i am of the view that it will happen

Maybe a reasonable aim would be to have a NEAFL team in about a decade, but there won't be an AFL team considered in any of our lifetimes.

In many instances a NEAFL team wreck what in many case are 100 year old club leagues.

I don't know whether Newcastle or Southern Sydney will ever get a team, but what i do know is that if the AFL think it is smart strategically for a variety of reasons they will make it happen.

In many instances a NEAFL team wreck what in many case are 100 year old club leagues.

I don't know whether Newcastle or Southern Sydney will ever get a team, but what i do know is that if the AFL think it is smart strategically for a variety of reasons they will make it happen.
Yeah it needs to be done in the right way so the local league isn't damaged, what happend in Canberra is a perfect example of how things can go wrong... Should have been one rep team in the area from the get go. I believe having a North Queensland and eventually a CC team in the NEAFL is the way to go

Expansion wise it's an area that should be targeted down the track. Maybe 2050 or so, along with FNQ.

Next expansion should be in around 10 years with Canberra and WA3

Yeah it needs to be done in the right way so the local league isn't damaged, what happend in Canberra is a perfect example of how things can go wrong... Should have been one rep team in the area from the get go. I believe having a North Queensland and eventually a CC team in the NEAFL is the way to go

The NEAFL is great in theory and great for the AFL clubs, but it does suck resources like volunteers, money and spectators from the local league.

Comps which have long established club rivalries like Canberra, Newcastle, Darwin and even Cairns tend to lose out to the NEAFL, however the opposite may happen in places like the CC or Townsville, Mackay and Northern NSW where the club structure is not as established or in the eyes of followers of the game in that area as important.

The NEAFL is great in theory and great for the AFL clubs, but it does suck resources like volunteers, money and spectators from the local league.

Comps which have long established club rivalries like Canberra, Newcastle, Darwin and even Cairns tend to lose out to the NEAFL, however the opposite may happen in places like the CC or Townsville, Mackay and Northern NSW where the club structure is not as established or in the eyes of followers of the game in that area as important.
True but they also have to have the right amount of talent in the area, it's a bit of a conundrum

I've always thought this corridor not being discussed was interesting. Not in an AFL sense, but basically establishing an Aussie Rules presence in these towns. Wollongong too. I find it weird local clubs in the NEAFL haven't been established, and the Giants and Swans haven't monopolised them – why not take a few pre-season matches there? These towns are black spots.

I once also met a girl from Newcastle who knew absolutely nothing about the AFL. Could barely mention Collingwood. It must be a black spot up there.

They also aren't the same at all. Read the lame s**t Jets and Mariners fans spout to one another. They're sort of close geographically but the divide is stronger than any Tassie one is. Where do you base this team? What do you call them? The Hunter doesn't extend to Gosford. You'd be better off trying to encroach a Newcastle Steel into Coffs.

Navy and steel stripes would be a cool looking jumper, for what it's worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best way to do it at first is representational teams. In June and then after the proper season, local leagues play against one another, with an aim to have this side end up a bonafide club in the NEAFL – ie, the fact local clubs in a WAFL zone may combine resources and of course players, to the WAFL colts team. Maybe the mid-year carnival could exist in both NSW and Queensland, with the top four of each playing off at the end of the year?

There could be U14s, U16s, U18s, and 'senior' sides. Each region feeds into a Lions, or Sydney Swans, or whatever academy.

– Coffs Harbour to Newcastle
Central Coast (Lake Macquarie to Gosford)
– Illawarra (Wollongong to Batemans Bay)
– Western Corridor (Ipswich to Toowoomba)
– Gympie to Bundaberg
– Gladstone, Rockhampton, Mackay
– Townsville
– Cairns

CC Newcastle team ......... Mcveigh Brothers, Craig Bird, Ray Hall, Daniel Lloyd ( just elevated to GWS squad) Isaac Heeney of course and of course Troy Luff who is still playing and just played his 500th game.

That's it gentleman, but feel free to add to this illustrious team ;), Heeney is probably worth a couple of players though.

** How could i forget John Preen, who played 32 games for Geelong between 1974 and 1977 o_O

Not really big enough to support a team on it's own. (or at least, small enough that it's down the list)

Just whether or not a club needs to be financially viable or not will probably be a reality sometime in the future AS WILL the kwality in the player pool.
Whether or not clubs (really) are financially viable may well precede 2050 IMHO.

Just whether or not a club needs to be financially viable or not will probably be a reality sometime in the future AS WILL the kwality in the player pool.
Whether or not clubs (really) are financially viable may well precede 2050 IMHO.

Kwality in the player pool being different from the QUALITY in the player pool, because the former relies purely on your subjective assessment and ignores any factual supporting information, right?

As for financial viability, yes...Clubs should be considered based on their total contribution to the AFL.

Kwality in the player pool being different from the QUALITY in the player pool, because the former relies purely on your subjective assessment and ignores any factual supporting information, right?

As for financial viability, yes...Clubs should be considered based on their total contribution to the AFL.

Surely contribution to the game, not the AFL - I'd suggest the AFL is at best flawed.

As for the player pool and your slavish cowtow to stats consider WHY Tas is not the productive Aussie Rules nursery it once was.
An AFL player needs/uses more talent than a 2nd tier 'would be' ... deny/deny as you do !!

Last edited:
CC Newcastle team ......... Mcveigh Brothers, Craig Bird, Ray Hall, Daniel Lloyd ( just elevated to GWS squad) Isaac Heeney of course and of course Troy Luff who is still playing and just played his 500th game.

That's it gentleman, but feel free to add to this illustrious team ;), Heeney is probably worth a couple of players though.

** How could i forget John Preen, who played 32 games for Geelong between 1974 and 1977 o_O

Pennant Hills AFC
https://www.phafl.com.au/

Surely contribution to the game, not the AFL - I'd suggest the AFL is at best flawed.

As for the player pool and your slavish cowtow to stats consider WHY Tas is not the productive Aussie Rules nursery it once was.
An AFL player needs/uses more talent than a 2nd tier 'would be' ... deny/deny as you do !!

Tas is producing less players in total because of demographics.

It's population getting smaller at the age levels that would produce players.

There is also the quality issue...As more players are produced elsewhere and standards improve, the 'fringe' players get squeezed out. (this is true everywhere, but the increasing base elsewhere makes it less clear in those places).

If there was a third team in Sydney we would pay for it, the TV networks would pay for it, the established clubs would pay for it, owning Etihad would pay for it, new members and sponsors would pay for it.

And so it goes, just like the established clubs voted to let Richmond join the VFL in 1908.

When Richmond joined it was expected to pay for itself.

All I'm saying is that each of NSW & QLD already get 2 clubs each on credit, relying on the heartland to fund them...Perhaps they should at least make some indications being able to pay for themselves before they get more.

Tas is producing less players in total because of demographics.

It's population getting smaller at the age levels that would produce players.

There is also the quality issue...As more players are produced elsewhere and standards improve, the 'fringe' players get squeezed out. (this is true everywhere, but the increasing base elsewhere makes it less clear in those places).

Perhaps that is the case, this year was not so good, but also perhaps it is swings and roundabouts for Tassie, but if you are right it makes a compelling case to fish where the fish are, and the fish are in NSW and QLD, specifically Sydney and North along the coast and in QLD the SE corner but also the population is growing further North along the coast.

When Richmond joined it was expected to pay for itself.

All I'm saying is that each of NSW & QLD already get 2 clubs each on credit, relying on the heartland to fund them...Perhaps they should at least make some indications being able to pay for themselves before they get more.

The heartland does fund them to a degree, the fact we have a National comp rather than a Victorian one also helps fund things.

Whatsmore the game is lucky is does have a incredibly strong heartland to fund areas where the game is nowhere near as strong.

I see it as part of AFL's charter to fund and grow the game outside it heartland areas.

The heartland does fund them to a degree, the fact we have a National comp rather than a Victorian one also helps fund things.

Whatsmore the game is lucky is does have a incredibly strong heartland to fund areas where the game is nowhere near as strong.

I see it as part of AFL's charter to fund and grow the game outside it heartland areas.

Yeah, but not sucking so much out of the heartland that it fails in order to fund areas that, on the evidence at hand, will never be able to support themselves.

2 charity clubs per state is enough to promote the game. Let's wait for the promotion to gain enough traction that even 1 club can stand on it's own before we look at adding more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back