Expansion Hunter Valley / Central Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have thought canberra would be a closer cab of the rank as well
That's the fall back for GWS.

Central Coast/Newcastle is a financial black hole if ever I saw one. The logic us the same as saying let's stick a team on the Gold Coast because of the population then wonder why you're having to pump $20m extra a year into the two Qld clubs

Central Coast/Newcastle is a financial black hole if ever I saw one. The logic us the same as saying let's stick a team on the Gold Coast because of the population then wonder why you're having to pump $20m extra a year into the two Qld clubs
Good point, some big plans being hatched up for future upgrades to Manuka that include GWS. Wouldn't be surprised if they start playing 4 games a year there

I don't think Canberra is fall back at all, i think it is part of a huge plan to spread the team over a huge area, the AFL did not spend 12 million on Spotless and many more millions on club infrastructure to have a bail out plan for Canberra.

The Manuka plan is an attempt to keep the code strong in Canberra, Manuka upgraded and GWS involved locally, Canberra is not a viable town for a AFL club, but it is big enough for 3 or 4 games, Eastlake FC which has a NEAFL team is a drop punt away from Manuka and Eastlake is quite a big club in terms of poker machines etc.

I don't think Canberra is fall back at all, i think it is part of a huge plan to spread the team over a huge area, the AFL did not spend 12 million on Spotless and many more millions on club infrastructure to have a bail out plan for Canberra.

You're talking 20 years down the track - they're not about to pack up and move if there's less than 10k at Spotless this weekend.

You'd hope that in that time there has been enough peaks and troughs in on field form to get a pretty good idea of whether the club will be able to get decent support.

You're talking 20 years down the track - they're not about to pack up and move if there's less than 10k at Spotless this weekend.

You'd hope that in that time there has been enough peaks and troughs in on field form to get a pretty good idea of whether the club will be able to get decent support.

It is also what they appear to be doing off the field that seems to be quite impressive ATM

*Manuka upgrade
*Possible spotless upgrade
*Womens team

The Manuka plan is an attempt to keep the code strong in Canberra, Manuka upgraded and GWS involved locally, Canberra is not a viable town for a AFL club, but it is big enough for 3 or 4 games, Eastlake FC which has a NEAFL team is a drop punt away from Manuka and Eastlake is quite a big club in terms of poker machines etc.
Southport knocked back the AFL twice and they are much bigger than Eastlake.

I also can't help to notice GWS struggling to give away free tickets, even against Collingwood. That's not a good sign.

Good point, some big plans being hatched up for future upgrades to Manuka that include GWS. Wouldn't be surprised if they start playing 4 games a year there
The more they play there the harder it is to build support in Western Sydney, that's my point. People won't go to Canberra to watch games from Sydney

I also can't help to notice GWS struggling to give away free tickets, even against Collingwood. That's not a good sign.
Seriously what are you going on about, GWS's survival does not rest on an inability to fill the stadium every week, it is a slow process not a week by week basis.

The more they play there the harder it is to build support in Western Sydney, that's my point. People won't go to Canberra to watch games from Sydney
Rubbish, GWS fans in Sydney understand that the Royal show takes precedence in Sydney at that time, not sure how many fans travel down to Canberra but many football fans live in Canberra and surrounding areas including the Riverina and of course opposition fans travelling, that's what these games are mainly aimed at.

That is totally incorrect, it is actually the opposite of what you have stated, Southport was knocked back by the AFL on several occasions after applying for licenses.

So in your mind spending $15-20m on ground and infrastructure is so big that they're committed and can never leave, but spending WELL over $100m (probably over $200m) on setting up a 3rd NSW money sink is small enough that it's a sure thing?

So in your mind spending $15-20m on ground and infrastructure is so big that they're committed and can never leave, but spending WELL over $100m (probably over $200m) on setting up a 3rd NSW money sink is small enough that it's a sure thing?

The AFL will spend who knows how much on GWS, they will also spend who knows how much setting up a 3rd team in Sydney if they feel it is needed.

I don't think the AFL is thinking of leaving Spotless, i don't think Caberra is a fall back position, i think Canberra is just part of the plan to make them bullet proof.

I think somewhere down the track the AFL will have a third team in either SW Sydney or up in the Hunter/CC, the cost at that time will be relative, it could be hundreds of millions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think from memory the Swans have played at Newcastle Oval a couple of times preseason and practice games, couldn't be sure of crowds though.

This weekend the Swans NEAFL team plays Gold Coast Suns at Newcastle Number 1 Oval.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...sID=31300&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=45052543

* 12 March 2005 Sydney Swans v. Collingwood Magpies Australian rules football AFL (preseason) 5,002

** 13 March 2004 Sydney Swans v. Essendon Bombers Australian rules football AFL (preseason) 3,405

*** 18 March 2006 Sydney Swans v. St Kilda Saints Australian rules football AFL (preseason) 3,203

Rubbish, GWS fans in Sydney understand that the Royal show takes precedence in Sydney at that time, not sure how many fans travel down to Canberra but many football fans live in Canberra and surrounding areas including the Riverina and of course opposition fans travelling, that's what these games are mainly aimed at.
Didn't know that the Royal Easter show took up four weekends a year, I must speak to the Agricultural society about their scheduling in future it is obviously confusing some people.

Southport were specifically knocked back by the VFL and twice by the AFL. The end result being that Southport are a major partner of Gold Coast.
Southport is a partner with Gold Coast Suns because it is making them money, nothing else. The Suns use the Southport facilities exclusively for after match functions and have buses run from the club to Metricon on match days. This is about mutual benefit, if their was no benefit for Southport then they wouldn't be doing it and that was told to me direct by a board member.

Southport is a partner with Gold Coast Suns because it is making them money, nothing else. The Suns use the Southport facilities exclusively for after match functions and have buses run from the club to Metricon on match days. This is about mutual benefit, if their was no benefit for Southport then they wouldn't be doing it and that was told to me direct by a board member.

That there is some benefit I have no doubt, but being a key financial sponsor they also about putting significant funds into the Suns as well, as well as board representation at launch. Involvement with the Suns was also the closest Southport were ever going to get to an AFL side despite several applications for one.

I have some severe doubts about the rest of your post given your absolute negative bias in reporting anything football related in queensland.

That there is some benefit I have no doubt, but being a key financial sponsor they also about putting significant funds into the Suns as well, as well as board representation at launch. Involvement with the Suns was also the closest Southport were ever going to get to an AFL side despite several applications for one.

I have some severe doubts about the rest of your post given your absolute negative bias in reporting anything football related in queensland.
The money is purely a kick back from the money generated through the social club activities held at Southport. The committee had to face an audit on it called by a section of the membership to justify the sponsorship and show the numbers, if there wasn't benefit for them then the committee would of been in breach of the Act and all board members at risk of facing an inquiry and fronting ASIC. There is no chance that most of the board would want that as it would cost them dearly professionally as it would mean potential disqualification of being a director.

In a committee based club the board is required by law to act in the best interests of the club. The club is not allowed to provide material sums of money in the way of sponsorship or grants to another organisation unless their is direct benefit to the club itself that can be quantified. This is all under the fiduciary duty of a director of the club, breach this duty and the directors can be made personally liable for the financial loss they have inflicted on the club. It's pretty cut and dry, some people clearly don't understand the link and the finances behind the link that is all.

Didn't know that the Royal Easter show took up four weekends a year, I must speak to the Agricultural society about their scheduling in future
Didn't know that the Royal Easter show took up four weekends a year, I must speak to the Agricultural society about their scheduling in future it is obviously confusing some people.

That's right, you didn't know!! that it takes a few weeks to fix the ground up from the show, you must speak to them and get yourself up to speed.

Some years it is possible to play a game pre show - I believe next year is a possibility.

Southport is involved because primarily they support the advancement of AF on the GC and because they wanted a AFL licence for many years.

I doubt the primary motivation is to make money out of football because clubs don't make money from football- they spend money on it.

That's right, you didn't know!! that it takes a few weeks to fix the ground up from the show, you must speak to them and get yourself up to speed.

Some years it is possible to play a game pre show - I believe next year is a possibility.
Well given the maintenance of the surface is done by the same people who do ANZ Stadium that might explain why it takes so long because it shouldn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back