Where are Richmond at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tigers administration need to take a long hard look at themselves after that loss against Port tonight.

They genuinely believed they were a finals aspirant with an eye on a Top 4 slot. Now, they are not going to play finals at all.

There is not a lot they can do in the remaining games of 2016 apart from throw some of their newbies in to see where they are in their development plus trial some of the regulars in alternate roles to ascertain if anything can be salvaged from that list.

In the off-season, I really believe they have to bite the bullet. Hardwick isn't a bad coach but he hasn't got the list to work with and it is going to take another 3-4 years of hard work to build a decent list. I think it would be best for both sides if they parted company and Hardwick was able to take up a senior gig at another club which has got a more developed list for him to work with.

The Tigers need a new fresh face with a new fresh message and someone who can grow with the playing list at the same time. There are a few assistants getting around who would be ideal candidates for the coaching role, they need to do some thorough research and select the best of them.

I said this once before and got laughed at by many Tigers fans but they just don't have an effective spine. Riewoldt & Rance are terrific but that's where it starts and ends. Those two need some others to help them out. Sadly for the Tigers, Vickery, Griffiths, Astbury, Elton, Chaplin, McBean etc offer nothing in support or as a stand alone key position player.

In the ruck, they were always going to struggle if big Maric went down and tonight showed that he is well on the way out, his body just isn't up to it any more. Hampson, who we got rid of is a second-stringer at best and cannot be relied upon.

In the midfield, they have two of the best (Martin & Cotchin) and a couple in the support cast like Miles but it doesn't bat deep enough. Port put the handcuffs on the two match-winners and there was no-one else to stand-up in their place.

There are some bright lights on the horizon (Rioli, Vlaustin & Menadue) but I'm struggling to see much else that the Tiges can hang their hats on.

As for the rest of the playing list, once again, they have to be a little more ruthless than they have in the past. Accept that this list is a patchwork quilt that needs to be dismantled and then rebuilt. Most importantly, don't try and do it via Free Agency & trades, go back to basics and pick up talented youth through the draft.

Thing is, if the Tiges don't accept where they are right now and make some serious adjustments over a 3-4 year period, they will arrive at that time in the future (ie. circa 2020) in the same mid-ladder position they are in now but have nothing to show for the years of hard work.

lol..no clue

Last year we finished 5th and won 15 games.

Year before we won finals after a huge winning streak

year before.... see first point

This sums up the issue at Richmond - perceptions. 2014/15 should've seen the peak of your list - Maric was considered one of the better rucks in the league, Deledio was 27, and a young core of stars were emerging in Rance, Martin, Riewoldt and Cotchin. Vickery and Griffiths seemed likely types who would at least become serviceable next to Riewoldt. Game plan was solid also - very good defensively and decent offensively.

But two years is a long time in football. Fast forward to 2016 and Maric is completely cooked as a footballer (Hampson is your next best alternative too) - simply put, you're ****** in the ruck for the foreseeable future, barring a ridiculous free agency get. Deledio is still great but almost 30 - which wouldn't be that much of an issue if he weren't now injury prone and your club knew how to win without him. Players like Vickery, Griffiths, Grigg, Batchelor, Astbury, Miles, Ellis, Edwards, Conca aren't better than they were in 2014. The young core of Rance, Martin, Riewoldt and Cotchin are now in the absolute peak of their careers (maybe Martin can improve a tad more - the rest aren't getting any better) but this is occurring as the team as a whole is sliding. Add to that, the best young prospects on Richmond's list at the moment are - going off selection - Menadue, Corey Ellis and Rioli who are all still raw at best and haven't yet shown they're capable of being the next wave of Rance, Martin, Cotchin, etc.

Richmond's list peaked in 2014/15 and the decline since has been amazingly rapid - partly also due to an outdated coach/game plan. The lack of second-round picks and free agency gets over the past several years is really hurting the club - why wasn't Lennon playing AFL matches prior to his recent injury? Why hasn't Brandon Ellis come on? What exactly is expected from Vickery and Griffiths, and can they fulfil those expectations? Is Astbury good enough to partner Rance for the next 5 years?

Last edited:

The Tigers administration need to take a long hard look at themselves after that loss against Port tonight.
its a shit club. thats all there is to the story

i mean port are a shit club too but at least they have a successful history

Ergh, watched the game (what I could stand)

Richmond are seriously lacking in score board talent, their midfield is bottom 5 in the comp and still includes guys like Grigg with Lambert the new rotation in there, their flankers are barely OK with Lids, Lloyd, Miles offering a bit but Lids is trending downwards and when he doesn't repeatedly put the ball in dangerous positions few others can. So they have to go tall because they have so few avenues to scoreboard impact. Riewoldt gives his all and ultimately Vickery and Griffiths need to score 100+ between them for a good season..and that's just an utter farce.

Having said that, they somehow rolled my mob somehow.

Gut the front half, get an onball brigade that works. No easy fix for Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How's about Hardwick. Could play a bit. But now just tries to project this demeanour of calm and control when representing his club in the media...and it falls flat cause you can't believe him. Like yeah Dimma, you got this mate.

Ruck stocks are also about a 3/10 at the moment.

Ergh, watched the game (what I could stand)

Richmond are seriously lacking in score board talent, their midfield is bottom 5 in the comp and still includes guys like Grigg with Lambert the new rotation in there, their flankers are barely OK with Lids, Lloyd, Miles offering a bit but Lids is trending downwards and when he doesn't repeatedly put the ball in dangerous positions few others can. So they have to go tall because they have so few avenues to scoreboard impact. Riewoldt gives his all and ultimately Vickery and Griffiths need to score 100+ between them for a good season..and that's just an utter farce.

Having said that, they somehow rolled my mob somehow.

Gut the front half, get an onball brigade that works. No easy fix for Richmond.

Yeah good call mate. As you can see from the info below, it really falls away from number 4 downwards. Richmond just dont score enough.

Richmond Top-10 Goal kickers

**Stats up to round 15, 2016**

1. Jack Riewoldt - 35

2. Sam Lloyd - 25

3. Tyrone Vickery - 22

4. Shane Edwards - 11

5. Ben Griffiths - 10

= 6. Anthony Miles - 9

= 6. Brett Deledio - 9

= 7. Daniel Rioli - 6

= 7. Jayden Short - 6

= 7. Kane Lambert - 6

= 7. Shaun Grigg - 6

= 7. Dustin Martin - 6

= 8. Connor Menedue - 5

= 8. Trent Cotchin - 5

9. Nick Vlaustin - 4

10. Brandon Ellis - 3

Last edited:
Keep hearing Vlaustin is a gun, but on a wet night when the ball spent a lot of time in defence, having zero tackles just isn't up to scratch.

I'm not sure even he knows what his best role is anymore let alone the Richmond coaching staff. I reckon he's a natural mid and stints in defence have hurt his development.

their are the Carlton of 2014 in no mans land and heading for a massive rebuild.
Yeah one hunna percent. Tiges need to sack the coach before it's too late and unfortunately, they need another re-build. The distance between their best talent and bottom guys in their best 22 is remarkable, and their drafting has been hardly successful recently to back themselves up with youth.

Top notch talent: Riewoldt, Rance, Cotchin, Martin, Deledio, Houli (I rate him)
Important players to keep: Yarran, Grigg, Menadue, C Ellis, Vlaustin, Grimes, Edwards, Griffiths, Rioli, Townsend (new), Miles, Lloyd
Expendable: B Ellis, Lennon, Astbury, Vickery, Lambert, McIntosh, Broad, Short
Shit creek: Batchelor, Moore, Hampson, Maric, Chaplin, Hunt, Conca, Markov, Morris, Drummond, Butler, Elton, Moore, Chol, Marcon, Castagna, Soldo, McBean

Their youth stocks look dreadful and most of them are in the bottom pile I reckon. Clear rebuild required beginning from this year, perfect year for them to draft a new key forward, as no club lower than them will draft one. The whole club just needs to restart from players to coaches, they've stuffed themselves over too many times now.

I'm not sure even he knows what his best role is anymore let alone the Richmond coaching staff. I reckon he's a natural mid and stints in defence have hurt his development.

Exactly right, spot on. One of the best posts of the night. He's a natural mid and should be in the midfield. I guess the coaching staff have put him in defence to try and assist Rance because the backline isnt holding up well and perhaps they see Vlaustin as a player to try and cover up the cracks. But yeah I agree with you, he should be in the midfield for sure

Natural mid? Doesn't seem to be able to find "cheap" outside footy to me.

Yeah good cool mate. As you can see from the info below, it really falls away from number 4 downwards. Richmond just dont score enough.

Richmond Top-10 Goal kickers

**Stats up to round 15, 2016**

1. Jack Riewoldt - 35

2. Sam Lloyd - 25

3. Tyrone Vickery - 22

4. Shane Edwards - 11

5. Ben Griffiths - 10

= 6. Anthony Miles - 9

= 6. Brett Deledio - 9

= 7. Daniel Rioli - 6

= 7. Jayden Short - 6

= 7. Kane Lambert - 6

= 7. Shaun Grigg - 6

= 7. Dustin Martin - 6

= 8. Connor Menedue - 5

= 8. Trent Cotchin - 5

9. Nick Vlaustin - 4

10. Brandon Ellis - 3
Surprised Martin has only kicked 6.

Since the AFL commenced in 1987 Richmond are without doubt the worst club in history. This is a statistical fact. They are a dead set basket case.
There's a lot wrong with this post.

Really poor tonight, when the chips are down - the team just fell away. If the A-Graders don't fire then the B-Graders (and some C-Graders) dont step up. Far too many things wrong with this team, the game plan for example is horrendous......just chip chip chip - chip the ball around. Not attacking. Trouble is at the start of the season and for the first six rounds or so Richmond tried to attack more but because the players cant execute an attacking game style of footy they reverted back to the game style that has served them so well for the last three seasons, the trouble is this game style will not get Richmond anywhere. Major list overhaul at the end of the season including a review into the footy department at Punt Road.

Maric - love the bloke, but he may be on his last legs, its said but it is how it is. Vickery - frustrates me and makes me extremely angry......surely he will be delisted or trade bait. Hunt - he is what I call a "Butcher" as in he butchers the ball, he is a tryer and a goer but thats it, delist perhaps? Griffiths - should keep him, he has had less chances then Vickery and at least he provides a target up forward, tonight he was quiet but wetish conditions probably didnt help in fact I think Richmond probably went too tall but wouldnt they have known this when it was raining before the game? I wont name every single player on the list but I just think that we have far too many players who are not GOOD DECISION MAKERS, these type of players are gold but nowdays athletes are more preferred.
Maybe they can target John Butcher to swap with Hunt :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back