Coach Luke Beveridge & the Dogs - is his time up? Where are they at?

Is Luke Beveridge’s time up at the Bulldogs?

• Yes

Votes: 237 84.0%
  • No

Votes: 45 16.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

i think his stock fell a bit after the essendon game, i haven't caught much of their games this year but i can't recall much fanfare about his performances, i think his strengths are his ability to get around the ground in good positions, but if the rest of the team can't play to that he'll lose to most reasonably decent ruckman in the long con

Even in his A.A year 8 players had career best games against him in terms of hitouts. He's just a ruck that isn't good at rucking.

He's been struggling for a while, never been great with tap work, but that Essendon game stood out because he got rinsed by a 50 year old Todd Goldstein.
most alarming thing about that game was just how red goldstein's face was after 2 minutes!

Even in his A.A year 8 players had career best games against him in terms of hitouts. He's just a ruck that isn't good at rucking.
i think that's what was clear to me (obviously as a non-impartial viewer) but that - and some of his brain fade moments is where clubs will hesitate before picking him. what i think someone like goldstein (for a close comparison) or perhaps nankervis from richmond do well is that they don't try and play beyond their means. they both have a firm understanding of what they're good at and they'll do their best to do it every game, whereas i don't think english does that (think about that game losing kickout fiasco last season)

They prob didn't think Darcy was going to show as much as he has (ruckman normally don't mature until their mid 20s)

But they can't keep Engligh, Lobb and Darcy off the books

Surely they can extract a first from the AFL as compo (even mid or end of first) for English if WCE offer less than 1m

Would it work if you had a proper ruckman and used English more like Geelong use Blicavs? More of a utility who gives some second ruck minutes. A big bodied midfielder or hard running wingman? I'm not sure if he has the defensive side of his game to make it work though.

Bevo is still probably the best coach for the dogs, but somebody needs to sit him down in the off-season and tell him not to change the game plan every off-season.

Having a look at the starts to their season, they're just ordinary early on and spend most of the season playing catch-up, except for the years when they did well.

2016 they were top after 2 rounds, 2021 they were top after round 6. Most other seasons under Bevo they've been in the bottom two after the first couple of rounds. Which is why he gets so much media pressure when they're looking for the first coach-sacking rumours. He usually recovers by mid-season on the ladder and in the media.

It's been the worst case scenario for both the Dogs and Bevo, him staying for so long.
Not sure he'd get another head coaching job now, whereas he would've been probably the most sought after coach a few years back.
Another bad loss and he'll be gone before the bye.

The Bulldogs have never finished top 4 under Beveridge, with their last top 4 finish being in 2010.
This is Beveridge's 10th season at the helm and apart from two out of the box seasons in 2016 and 2021, which netted a premiership and runner up - Beveridge's entire tenure has overseen teasing, frustrating mid table mediocrity.

How do the Bulldogs escape mid table mediocrity and become a legit premiership contender?
Beveridge is contracted until the end of 2025 but who do you replace him with?

The Bulldogs have never finished top 4 under Beveridge, with their last top 4 finish being in 2010.
This is Beveridge's 10th season at the helm and apart from two out of the box seasons in 2016 and 2021, which netted a premiership and runner up - Beveridge's entire tenure has overseen teasing, frustrating mid table mediocrity.

How do the Bulldogs escape mid table mediocrity and become a legit premiership contender?
Beveridge is contracted until the end of 2025 but who do you replace him with?
How can a team win a premiership and not be a contender?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2016 was won thanks to free kick count
Majority of their free kicks were play on advantage, so the free kicks not being paid wouldn't have made a difference.
They got lucky by avoiding us in the finals that year, we had their measure big time.

Back