Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the draft range for Jack Roughsedge (Oakleigh) and Jordan Lynch (Eastern)?

What is the draft range for Jack Roughsedge (Oakleigh) and Jordan Lynch (Eastern)?

With Roughsedge having only played the one game so far this year he is something of a wild-card.

He could push up into the first round or he could go later.

More needs to be seen of him this year before his draft position becomes clearer.

Jordan Lynch if picked is likely a late/rookie pick. Has shown glimpses but production hasn't been up to the level it needs to be to go earlier.

With Roughsedge having only played the one game so far this year he is something of a wild-card.

He could push up into the first round or he could go later.

More needs to be seen of him this year before his draft position becomes clearer.

Jordan Lynch if picked is likely a late/rookie pick. Has shown glimpses but production hasn't been up to the level it needs to be to go earlier.

As a somewhat related aside KM, how has Brayden Sier performed/developed this year? He was considered a wildcard selection in the 2nd Rd last year, but i heard that Carlton, for one, were also interested.

Also Doedee went even higher.

So it proves that the List Chiefs will back their judgement on transferable qualities sometimes over production with highish Picks.

As a somewhat related aside KM, how has Brayden Sier performed/developed this year? He was considered a wildcard selection in the 2nd Rd last year, but i heard that Carlton, for one, were also interested.

Also Doedee went even higher.

So it proves that the List Chiefs will back their judgement on transferable qualities sometimes over production with highish Picks.

Sier has struggled at VFL level to win enough of the ball and would be in a tie with Darrean Wyatt in my view for worst performed AFL listed player this year, with Tim Golds not much better.

Sier has a long way to go and is considered a worker and high character guy. He has good height/size/skills and is seen as a late bloomer. Collingwood just have to cross their fingers and hope that he develops at a pace similar to Patrick Cripps for Carlton between that first and second year (in order to down the track become AFL relevant as he is so far back at this stage). Until he comes back in his second season a better player, I'll remain skeptical.

Tom Doedee for Adelaide though has proven very good in the SANFL with his intercept marking very impressive and he is finding plenty of the footy. So he is looking like a very developable player who has the playing ability to become a best 22 player for Adelaide in the future and probably next season to guess if he has a strong offseason. His numbers impressively have been better in recent weeks for Adelaide in the SANFL than they were in the TAC Cup which is what makes his development all the more impressive.

The Giants may rue the decision to overlook Lachlan Tiziani last year.

The 19 year old has put on a clinic this past month (6 goals, 4 goals, 5 goals).

The 189cm utility is firmly on clubs radars you'd think, even as a 19 - year old?

Yoda I was really surprised that no one picked him up last year. I had had as a certainty to get drafted.

KM what's your stance on McCluggage. It seems as though as soon as someone moves him up their order everyone just follows suit. Has he really improved in the space of 6 months or is it people just copying the big name draft analysis guys. Hype is huge, it happens every year.

Noticed Luke beveridges son kye is draft eligible this season looking at his stats it's looks like he's had a fairly good season but I don't see him on any draft boards why might that be ?

KM what's your stance on McCluggage. It seems as though as soon as someone moves him up their order everyone just follows suit. Has he really improved in the space of 6 months or is it people just copying the big name draft analysis guys. Hype is huge, it happens every year.

I had McCluggage at number one in my original power rankings, was slightly less high on him after a while recognising the contested side of his game wasn't there, then have moved him back up to top spot on my draft board on the back of his U18 champs - finding as much of the footy as he did, finding those i50 targets and hitting the scoreboard to the level he did.

It's an even top end with fairly variety opinion. There are four or five different players rated top pick on different draft boards that I'm aware of, so there isn't much separating a lot of players.

McCluggage has improved with games. I believe he had a limited preseason. So he has gone from strength to strength this season and looked better month to month. So his rise up draft boards in recent times I'd definitely view as justified.

Noticed Luke beveridges son kye is draft eligible this season looking at his stats it's looks like he's had a fairly good season but I don't see him on any draft boards why might that be ?

Has not featured in the bests for Dandenong this season nor been selected for Vic Country. Reads the flight well, kicking more than a goal a game and tackling well. Just not finding or winning enough of it to be more than a rookie selection.

I had McCluggage at number one in my original power rankings, was slightly less high on him after a while recognising the contested side of his game wasn't there, then have moved him back up to top spot on my draft board on the back of his U18 champs - finding as much of the footy as he did, finding those i50 targets and hitting the scoreboard to the level he did.

It's an even top end with fairly variety opinion. There are four or five different players rated top pick on different draft boards that I'm aware of, so there isn't much separating a lot of players.

McCluggage has improved with games. I believe he had a limited preseason. So he has gone from strength to strength this season and looked better month to month. So his rise up draft boards in recent times I'd definitely view as justified.

Has not featured in the bests for Dandenong this season nor been selected for Vic Country. Reads the flight well, kicking more than a goal a game and tackling well. Just not finding or winning enough of it to be more than a rookie selection.
Kye plays for the dragons..?

Kye plays for the dragons..?

Not a Vic Metro representative. Only the twise has featured in the bests for Sandy.

The Sandringham Beveridge can offer some run and carry. That's more his go.

Not convinced he gets drafted but if he keeps working and wants it I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a state league list.

Think he's mixed up Kyle beveridge and kye beveridge

Indeed I have. Didn't realise which Beveridge was the son of the coach.

My focus is on watching players play rather than watching who they go home with at the end of the night. It's not a side of the junior game I'm all that closely tuned into unless they're looking like probable draft prospects.

What're the chances McLuggage makes it to the Bombers selection (which now looks like it'll be Pick 2, given that we'll likely beat Brisbane this Sunday)? Seem's like he'd be a good fit for us given we need a bit more class and polish through midfield and on the wings.

Hey KM. Could you named the Top 5 Best Contested Possession players for this draft? Thanks mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What're the chances McLuggage makes it to the Bombers selection (which now looks like it'll be Pick 2, given that we'll likely beat Brisbane this Sunday)? Seem's like he'd be a good fit for us given we need a bit more class and polish through midfield and on the wings.
I think Brisbane should take McCluggage at 1# if that were to happen

Could tempt fate though given recent history of interstate draftees packing their luggage and returning home.

Unfortunately, and this might be a bit of a revelation, there's not going to be any reasonable options at pick 1 or 2 that aren't from interstate. Since taking someone rated much much lower is just really damn stupid, I guarantee Brisbane will be taking an interstate player.

Unfortunately, and this might be a bit of a revelation, there's not going to be any reasonable options at pick 1 or 2 that aren't from interstate. Since taking someone rated much much lower is just really damn stupid, I guarantee Brisbane will be taking an interstate player.
Isn't sps a brissy fan?

Isn't sps a brissy fan?

There's some evidence to that effect, but that doesn't mean he's going to enjoy living in Brisbane. I'm a Brissy fan and I can't say I enjoyed living in Brisbane. :p

There's some evidence to that effect, but that doesn't mean he's going to enjoy living in Brisbane. I'm a Brissy fan and I can't say I enjoyed living in Brisbane. :p
Thats true plus theres the risk of him wanting to be closer to his family.

hi. Knightmare just had a read through your power rankings, zac fisher is of interest to me. you have him rated at 29 and an amazing list of strengths, although what i find more interesting is that under weaknesses there is only one- size by position, where as every other player (except drew) in your top 30 has a few weaknesses listed. have seen one notable scribe compare him to simon black.

is size the only limiting factor in his game? if so i think he will be an absolute steal at 29. noticed you compared him to corey gregson, do you see him as a potential better player than gregson? other talented short players currently in the AFL- prestia, zorko, lonie, puopolo, betts, daniel, mcdonald-tipungwuti and ballantyne. is fisher comparable to any of these as well. thanks in advance.

Knightmare do you think zac fisher is a sneaky chance to go in the first round?
Already playing league footy and averaging 19 disposals. Concidering his 175cm and 61kgs thats pretty impressive. On the flip side we have luke partington and at 182cm nd 75kgs is struggling at wafl against the bigger bodies

Hi KM, who do you think Carlton should be taking with their early picks? I like Brodie and really hope he can fall to our first pick (likely 4/5). Do you think that is a possibility? If not, I'd like to see us take Andrew McGrath, really like his speed, run and carry and also uses it well. Your thoughts on him?

Lastly haven't heard much about Craig Bradley's son Jake this year. What range is he looking at being taken.

Cheers mate, appreciate it.

Picks 1/2 have not been decided. Essendon and Brisbane both are in the mix for that pick. Essendon could beat Brisbane (as I'm tipping), but Brisbane could well for all we know win another game and surprise an unsuspecting team.

Pick 1 has not been decided with several in the mix. McCluggage is one of those in the mix for the first overall pick, but far from a certainty at pick 1 at this stage, maybe not even the favourite just yet.

Hey KM. Could you named the Top 5 Best Contested Possession players for this draft? Thanks mate

Jack Graham, Dylan Clarke, Brad Scheer, Will Brodie and Willem Drew would all be right up there.

Wrapt you now have Galluci and McGrath inside your top ten

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/16690432/knightmare-afl-draft-power-rankings-july

Really hope they both end up at Carlton could use smart decision makers and genuine leadership qualities to compliment our current list

Why have you brought them up so high this month compared to your previous draft rankings?

Gallucci and McGrath both have earnt their position inside my 10 through performance.

I moved them both up on the back of their consistent and high standard performances during the u18 championships. Both sold me on their games.

They've both got the games in combination with attributes to be high level pros. Gallucci with his footskills, vision and pace. McGrath with that explosive pace, ability to read the flight and intercept mark as well as win his own ball. They're both terrific.

McGrath is now getting the kudos his play deserves on the back of his play during the u18 champs.

Gallucci in my view probably not as much as he should - with my rating higher than generally most tend to view him.

hi. Knightmare just had a read through your power rankings, zac fisher is of interest to me. you have him rated at 29 and an amazing list of strengths, although what i find more interesting is that under weaknesses there is only one- size by position, where as every other player (except drew) in your top 30 has a few weaknesses listed. have seen one notable scribe compare him to simon black.

is size the only limiting factor in his game? if so i think he will be an absolute steal at 29. noticed you compared him to corey gregson, do you see him as a potential better player than gregson? other talented short players currently in the AFL- prestia, zorko, lonie, puopolo, betts, daniel, mcdonald-tipungwuti and ballantyne. is fisher comparable to any of these as well. thanks in advance.

Fisher while small I haven't had major issue with. He is small which limits his upside and scope to dominate at stoppages at AFL level. Overall the more I saw him the more I found I liked what he brings to the table. Very good all-rounder with a very advanced game.
I could also have added performances v WAFL League competition which has been strong this year.

Fisher has the scope to become better than Gregson and a better midfielder at the next level, but ultimately looking at his height, physical profile and game that was the rough comparison I went with.

Compared to other gun smalls - not nearly as powerful and won't be as dominant a contested baller as Prestia but is better skilled.
V Zorko he isn't nearly as dynamic or damaging in the front half but as a midfielder could become something comparable if things work out.
He isn't the heavy scoreboard impact forward of a Betts and is more someone who can play forward if need-be as more of a midfielder.

Hopefully that gives you more of a feel for his game.

Knightmare do you think zac fisher is a sneaky chance to go in the first round?
Already playing league footy and averaging 19 disposals. Concidering his 175cm and 61kgs thats pretty impressive. On the flip side we have luke partington and at 182cm nd 75kgs is struggling at wafl against the bigger bodies

Fisher is a plausible first rounder. He has the performances on the board and has the game. I wouldn't dismiss it.

Partington's struggles have been surprising as he was fine in SA and played League games in the SANFL last year, featuring in the bests in his final game of the season.

Hi KM, who do you think Carlton should be taking with their early picks? I like Brodie and really hope he can fall to our first pick (likely 4/5). Do you think that is a possibility? If not, I'd like to see us take Andrew McGrath, really like his speed, run and carry and also uses it well. Your thoughts on him?

Lastly haven't heard much about Craig Bradley's son Jake this year. What range is he looking at being taken.

Cheers mate, appreciate it.

I'll assume Brodie, McCluggage, Petrevski-Seton and Bowes are taken (if any slip, they'd be great gets for Carlton).

Of those non-academy players if those four aren't available, Andrew McGrath and Ben Ainsworth would be the two more likely given Carlton went tall last year and probably want to let the young talls develop for another season and re-assess after that. Of the two, McGrath also would be my choice. Back or midfield McGrath is terrific as a linebreaker and intercepter down back who can also push into the midfield and win his own ball.
Ainsworth as a forward I'd found to lack consistency and reliability in front of goal. He can have an impact and is very hard to defend with that leap at his height and strength overhead. I just can't justify spending a top 10 and certainly not a top 4-6 pick on him.

Jake Bradley is a top-ager and has been good in the TAC Cup without dominating. He is 177cm and for me lacks a point of difference. He could be considered as a rookie but I see that as against the odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back