Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brodie based on the stats only played the first half v North Ballarat.

Brodie was big time in his two AIS v VFL team games early season and also through the U18 Championships was exceptional and in the view of many was better even than McCluggage for Vic Country.

There is also and correctly the perception that those higher % contested possession and clearance winners translate to AFL play better, which they do.

Brodie has the extra height.

So there is a lot going for him.

I'm just personally like you and increasingly some others favouring McCluggage. That scoreboard impact, ball use and overall production. He is deserving certainly for now of the number one position on my draft board based on his improvement and what he is dishing up.

Brodie injured his shoulder V Nth Ballarat!

It is also important to remember that conversations are based on their chances to get drafted. I am sure that he will learn to defend at AFL level, but it is very hard to teach a kid who to find the ball, be an above average kicker...

So sometimes you can overlook their defensive failures knowing that a good AFL coach will teach them those skills.
I think Lyon made some quotes along those lines.

The situations where you'd be worried about defense is - if short, slow or thin. Scrimshaw is tall. For pace and physical stature he is fine. So overall I'm not all that worried about his ability to defend opponents at AFL level. It won't be what he will be selected for, but it is something he will be able to do fine at in theory.

Playing down back is such a team defence game now so as long as players in the 1v1s can hold their own - which Scrimshaw can if not playing v key forwards, there isn't any major reason for concern.

KM - did you attend the AIS game in Geelong - where Brodie was the medias "best player" ?
Brad Scheer was awarded the medal in this game as best by those who were appointed to judge....so he's the second best ?
Also Interested to know your thoughts regarding TAC cup performance v's NEAFL performance - how do you equate the two - TAC -18s playing 18s with modified rules v's AFL listed players playing future listed players.
Scheer's game at weekend ....
http://www.neafl.com.au/index.php?id=16&tx_ttnews[year]=2016&tx_ttnews[month]=07&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=5722&cHash=d03ab492d9a5dab936e4cb2fef1d45ab

I saw the game v Werribee from Brodie but not the game v Geelong.

NEAFL being a state league is a more difficult standard of footy to play than the TAC Cup, so strong performances in the NEAFL are more convincing than strong performances in the TAC Cup.

Stats in the NEAFL are I'd estimate roughly as a guide, twise as hard as in the TAC Cup. So if Scheer to use a Gold Coast example was to average 15 disposals (to make up a number) this year in the NEAFL, I'd estimate that would be the equivalent of roughly 30 disposals in the TAC Cup.

Or if McCluggage averages again to make up a number 36 disposals and two goals in the TAC Cup, he would likely be good for around 18 disposals and one goal per game in the NEAFL.

Obviously in the case of Scheer's game 27 disposals wouldn't realistically equal 54 disposals in the TAC Cup, but it's a rough guide to give you a feel for the numbers translated. It also can work the other way where you may have Kobe Mutch and Connor Byrne averaging 30+ disposals in the TAC Cup but may not get 15 disposals much of the time in the NEAFL.

So that's a mighty impressive effort from Scheer in summary to get the 27 disposals. As per my weekly wrap, there weren't any other u18s anywhere close in the NEAFL on the weekend with Spargo with 17/18 disposals or whatever it was the next better accumulator.

^^^Now that makes more sense of things^^^

FWIW - I felt the most notable player (and easily BOG) was Hamish Brayshaw (#11). In the first half he played off half back, on an opponent, and racked up 16 disposals at 82% efficiency. Hit targets and marshalled his troops.

In the third term, clearly when the game was won, it was the move of him to deep forward where he kicked 4 straight (when Sandy had sprayed everything in the first half) which won the match. He put up a compelling argument for stand out best player and obviously whomever did the votes for Sandy agreed!

I don't disagree with a lot of what you have said, just your assessment on the standing of Scrimshaw's game against others who played (which is a wholly subjective assessment anyhow).

If you only watch the game live and make some notes, and don't have the benefit of video analysis, then that explains why you're looking for the good stuff only, and may miss out on heaps of other bits and pieces.

Also if you go there with specific players in the back of your mind, well maybe you're naturally going to look at them more than others as you watch the game.

Frankly, I am quite surprised that you write your column for ESPN with no access to video of games for a more detailed and deeper analysis (especially when, presumably, they make you write single columns on players whom you may only see in and handful of games). Would it kill them to spring for a Champion Data video streaming subscription to enable you to assess by video after the game as well?

Your current method seems a bit "old school", but still, kind of neat!
:thumbsu:

Game reviews are very subjective. And it depends on what people see and value.

Brayshaw's stats read well and when I saw his numbers I was very surprised - not realising he kicked the four goals. I hardly noticed him and didn't feel his impact. If I had access to video replay then I'm sure I'd have given him more credit like yourself for his third quarter. But overall for most of the game, I didn't feel him as I did with Scrimshaw and to a lesser extent Florent and Taranto who were my three best from the eye-test on the day.

I would love video access and stats from ESPN via Champion Data. But ESPN in reaching out to Champion Data earlier this year from what I understand were unsuccessful in gaining stats/video for me. So it is what it is. It just means in my case sticking to going to games every week, sourcing what free stats and game tapes are available online and building relationships myself which have as a starting point at least meant Champion Data stats for TAC Cup and U18 Champs games.

Maybe in the future ESPN can further their relationship with Champion Data to make it happen. I don't know the full details, but that's what little that I know.

If I do get my hands on all the gametapes and stats. I'd be very excited to see what I can do. Particularly with my power rankings and quality and accuracy of profiles.

Draft range for Liam Ryan? And is Francis Watson any chance to finally get a go this year? Has returned strongly from a broken leg in the WAFL.

Liam Ryan may start to come into consideration mid-draft but probably is a late pick I'd estimate at this stage.

Francis Watson has played well in the WAFL and remains a chance to get drafted but is no certainty. Never any certainties with those mature agers.

21. Jonty Scharenberg (SA)
Best position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 185cm, 79kg
Recruited from: Glenelg
Plays like: Callan Ward
Projected draft range: First to second round
Rated last month: 10
Rationale behind change of ranking: His start to the season has not blown away draft watchers, with his production only classed as solid so far. His lack of an x-factor sees him slide.
Profile: Scharenberg is a productive midfielder with strong contested-ball winning ability and can use the footy well. Scharenberg is an only average athlete and relatively lacks an x-factor, separating him from the next midfield prospect.

22. Andrew McGrath (VIC)
Best position: Outside midfielder
Height, weight: 179cm, 75kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Plays like: Chris Masten
Rated last month: 30
Rationale behind change of ranking: A 44-disposal, 19-tackle, 14-clearance TAC Cup game is the reason for McGrath's rise. Earlier in the year, McGrath showed an ability on the outside but going onto the ball and having this kind of impact was a clear moment that will have made all watchers re-evaluate their views of McGrath.
Profile: McGrath is a midfielder with the versatility to play multiple positions who shows a willingness to take on the game with his run and carry but also has the ability to win his own ball. He also displays class and composure with ball in hand and is a reliable ball user who uses the ball particularly well by foot.

23. Jack Graham (SA)
Best position: General defence
Height, weight: 183cm, 85kg
Recruited from: North Adelaide
Plays like: Marley Williams
Rated last month: 19
Rationale behind change of ranking: Graham only slips a couple of places because others have risen.
Profile: Graham is a strong-bodied backman who can push through the midfield and win his own ball. He offers good run out of the back half but his big strength is his ground-ball winning ability and ability to win the 50-50 balls which is among the best in this draft class.

24. Connor Byrne (GWS Academy)
Height, weight: 182cm, 76kg
Recruited from: Wagga Tigers
Plays like: Matthew Boyd
Rated last month: Unrated
Rationale behind change of ranking: Strength of performance through the National Under-18 Championships and TAC Cup have seen him rise significantly up draft boards.
Profile: Byrne is a high-level accumulator through the midfield with excellent contested-ball winning ability and endurance. Byrne is a clean ball user and has been a consistent performer across all his games played so far this season.

25. Sam Powell-Pepper (WA)
Position: Inside midfielder
Height, weight: 188cm, 83kg
Recruited from: East Perth
Plays like: Shaun Atley (with stronger contested ball winning ability)
Rated last month: 7
Rationale behind change of ranking: Has not played since May 1 in the WA Colts but his issues hitting targets by foot mean Powell-Pepper is now rated lower rather than higher.
Profile: Powell-Pepper is a tall, strong-bodied midfielder who can also play off a half-back flank. He is outstanding athletically and has an ideal combination of explosive speed, change of direction and endurance. What he needs to improve is his consistency by foot, with Powell-Pepper too often turning the ball over.

How does Jack Graham play like Marley Williams? Out of all your phantom that would be the worst "plays like" in your comparisons?

6. Hugh McCluggage (VIC)
Position: Outside midfield
Height, weight: 185cm, 75kg
Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels
Plays like: Adam Treloar
Projected draft range: First round
Rated last month: 1
Rationale behind change of ranking: McCluggage is still at the top end of this draft class, but concerns over his contested ball-winning ability see him drop.
Profile: McCluggage is one of those rare midfielder/forwards with excellent ability at ground level and overhead. He is freakish at ground level, so clean with his groundball pickups, and is lightning fast at disposing of the ball under pressure. When utilised in the front half, he consistently gets front and centre in pack situations, invariably winning the ball when it spills. McCluggage is also a genuine marking target in the front half with his very strong and clean hands overhead, making him a threat one-on-one and on the lead. McCluggage is reliable in front of goal both from general play and set shots and is someone you can count on to consistently make the most of his opportunities. He often looks to play on or move the ball on quickly which generates meaningful offense and scoring opportunities. His tackling and pressure game is good. Through the midfield McCluggage has the ability to win first possession from ruck contests and is also capable of winning the ground balls and generating clearances. He works hard into space on the outside and also can offer some overlap run at times. McCluggage has good acceleration and his ball use in the most part is strong. However, his disposal efficiency is lower than it should be, possibly due to spending so much time in the front half. In time - as McCluggage grows stronger and starts to build more confidence attacking the ball harder, further developing the contested side of his game - he should spend less time forward and more time through the midfield.

7. Sam Petrevski-Seton (WA)
Position: Utility
Height, weight: 180cm, 73kg
Recruited from: Claremont
Plays like: Shaun Burgoyne
Projected draft range: Top 10
Rated last month: 2
Rationale behind change of ranking: Petrevski-Seton is an exciting, impactful player, but there are concerns about whether he will win enough of the ball at the next level.
Profile: Petrevski-Seton has excellent acceleration and displays rare evasiveness and agility. He takes the game on frequently with ball in hand and avoids would-be tacklers with ease. The versatile youngster has the ability to play midfield (outside or inside), back or forward and his tackling and pressure areas are very good. Petrevski-Seton is an ambidextrous and damaging kick of the footy who uses the ball by foot just as well on either side of his body over short and medium distances. He has a tendency to play on regularly, and just like star Hawk Sam Mitchell, it is so hard to prevent him from hitting targets because he uses both sides so easily. Petrevski-Seton has excellent finishing ability around goal as someone with great goal sense in general play. The major question marks with Petrevski-Seton is, his numbers at this stage lack consistency and are overall only moderate rather than high which isn't ideal for a potential top selection. But the key understanding with Petrevski-Seton is he is a high impact per possession player who doesn't need to find a lot of the ball to have an impact on the game.

8. Brad Scheer (QLD - Gold Coast Academy)
Best position: Inside midfielder
Height, weight: 184cm, 82kg
Recruited from: Gold Coast
Plays like: Luke Parker
Rated last month: 6
Rationale behind change of ranking: Only drops down a few positions due to others making names for themselves in big ways.
Profile: One of the more dominant inside midfielders in this draft class, Scheer was brilliant at under-16 level but then missed much of 2015 with injury. He is a strong-bodied contested-ball winning midfielder who does his best work inside the contest, often winning first possession from ruck contests and winning clearances. Further to offering inside grunt, Scheer also offers composure with ball in hand and can find targets by hand and foot reliably. Forward of centre, Scheer can prove to be a threat as a relatively strong mark overhead and is able to offer a goal or two a game when he gets time in the front half. Where Scheer is relatively lacking is his run and carry ability, endurance and workrate, which in the AFL system is developable.

9. Daniel Venables (VIC)
Best position: General forward
Height, weight: 186cm, 81kg
Recruited from: Western Jets
Plays like: Christian Petracca
Rated last month: Unrated
Rationale behind change of ranking: While Venables has only played two TAC Cup games so far after just four last year, it is clear with his talent, mix of attributes and ability to provide heavy scoreboard impact that Venables is a genuine first-round chance.
Profile: Venables has missed time with injury in the past but in the games he has played, his impact has been strong. Venables offers heavy scoreboard impact forward of centre and what stands out is his marking ability, ground ball-winning ability and his finishing skills around goal. Venables also displays the attributes to be an excellent inside midfielder. He is a high-level contested-ball winner and can win first possession, while he has the cleanness at ground level and ability by hand to dish the ball out effectively. He is also very good by foot and is able to hit his targets around the ground. Venables also has excellent acceleration and can burst powerfully away from the contest. From here, Venables just needs to stay healthy and prove that as well as having all the tricks, he also can put the performances on the board.

10. William Brodie (VIC)
Position:
Inside midfielder
Height, weight: 189cm, 82kg
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Plays like: Ryan Griffen
Rated last month: 3
Rationale behind change of ranking: Yet to demonstrate a clear point of difference, which is specifically what puts him behind others.
Profile: Brodie has a strong inside game, often winning first possession leading to clearances and winning lots of contested ball around the ground. He offers strong tackling pressure and can chase guys down or lay strong tackles. For an inside player, he has an excellent outside balance, offering terrific overlap run. On the outside in space Brodie likes to run with ball in hand when there is the opportunity, and his ball use is good. Brodie would benefit from looking to move the ball on more quickly, as the ball can get stuck in his hands and become stagnant after a mark. Brodie is an overall very good athlete for a tall midfielder, displaying good pace and he has excellent workrate, working hard both ways and looking to run into space and provide overlap run offensively on drives forward. Brodie's ball use by hand and foot is good but not great overall. He can hit his targets for the most part and is a capable finisher from general play in the forward 50m, where he offers good scoreboard impact, but what is missing at times when under pressure is composure in traffic. Brodie has a nice sidestep but in traffic he can get caught with the ball and also often feels pressured, leading to errant disposals by both hand and foot and poor decisions at other times. Overhead Brodie is a clean mark who reads the flight well, getting to the drop of the ball which allows him at times to take some intercept marks, but despite being a tall midfielder he is not yet a contested marking threat which is something Brodie should look to add to his game as a further weapon to his arsenal.

SPS at 7? Due to the fact he won't win the ball at the next level? anything else that he is lacking?. He reminds me of a Harley Bennell pick really, has the ability to go anywhere in the top 10, worthy of a top 3, if he is called. At 7, I rate this

*Profiles and power rankings as per my June 1 Power Rankings on ESPN: http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/15839175/june

Potential top five on list quality

-- Potential top five on list quality -

1. Jack Bowes (QLD - Gold Coast Academy)
Position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 187cm, 76kg
Recruited from: Gold Coast
Plays like: Nick Dal Santo
Projected draft range: Top five
Rated last month: 4
Rationale behind change of ranking: Bowes simply excelled in division two of the National Under-18 Championships. As well as boasting class and silky ball use, the Gold Coast Academy prospect proved he can also win contested footy, suggesting he could be a genuine inside midfielder at AFL level.
Profile: Bowes is a clean, classy and evasive midfielder who consistently does something constructive with ball in hand. He makes excellent decisions and displays fantastic vision, often finding targets by foot that others may not notice. Bowes is very quick getting ball onto boot and hits his targets consistently over a variety of distances, and similarly can delivery by hand very quickly. He is reliable in front of goal and makes the most of his opportunities both from set shots and general play. He also has the ability to absorb tackles and still get off a clean disposal to a target. Bowes also has excellent ability at ground level with his clean groundball pickups and his ability to rove at the bottom of packs. Bowes has the versatility to play inside/outside, forward or back but is mostly plays as an inside midfielder, winning first possession regularly and using it cleanly from stoppages. Bowes also has the ability to take some strong intercept marks and offers some one-on-one marking ability. The missing element for Bowes at the moment is a relative lack of pace, although it doesn't limit his game, as he is mobile and evasive enough to sidestep tackles in traffic, which make him look quicker than he is.

2. Will Setterfield (NSW/ACT - GWS Academy)
Height, weight: 190cm, 79kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Plays like: David Mundy
Rated last month: 12
Rationale behind change of ranking: As the season has unfolded, Setterfield's gifts have become clearer. He is just so damaging with ball in hand, not wasting a possession and creates damage while also winning first possession at stoppages.
Profile: Setterfield is a tall midfielder who thrives at stoppages with his contested ball-winning ability. With ball in hand, he demonstrates excellent composure and does significant damage with his vision and quality execution by foot, consistently lowering his eyes and finding good targets. Athletically, Setterfield is a very fluid mover with a really nice sidestep which he calls upon at will. Setterfield has a nice leap and is strong overhead, meaning he is a marking threat when he pushes forward and is able to provide strong scoreboard impact. He also reads the play well behind the ball and is a very good intercept mark. Given his skills, marking ability and athletic profile, Setterfield has the versatility to play not only through the midfield but also forward or back if required. Setterfield plays his footy in Victoria for Sandringham Dragons and Caulfield Grammar.

3. Todd Marshall (NSW/ACT)
Best position: Key forward
Height, weight: 198cm, 87kg
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Plays like: Darcy Moore
Rated last month: 18
Rationale behind change of ranking: Having had the opportunity to watch more of Marshall, it is abundantly clear how talented he is. With his speed, agility, ground level ability and clean marking, there is terrific scope to continue improving.
Profile: Marshall is a tall goal-kicking forward who plays his best footy close to goal. What makes Marshall such an appealing prospect is at his height, Marshall still has excellent agility, explosiveness and is also extremely clean hands below his knees. Overhead Marshall is very good, taking marks strongly. However, physically he is still developing and needs to put more size onto his frame, and build up his strength in the one-on-one contests. In front of goal Marshall is reliable and able to use the ball around the ground by hand and foot cleanly.Marshall is available to all clubs after the AFL recently ruled GWS could not access him as an academy player.

4. Harry Perryman (NSW/ACT - GWS Academy)
Height, weight: 184cm, 75kg
Recruited from: Collingullie-GP
Plays like: Joel Selwood
Rated last month: 13
Rationale behind change of ranking: Perryman was on fire in division two of the National Under-18 Championships, dominating at stoppages.
Profile: Perryman is among the youngest in this draft class with a December birthday but has produced the most impactful and productive games of any this year. He is a dominant stoppage player who wins as many clearances as anyone in this draft, often gaining first possession. Despite only weighing 75kg, he wins a high contested to uncontested ball ratio. Perryman is a very good kick who can hit his targets over a variety of distances and also has very quick and clean hands. Perryman overall covers the ground well, displaying a high workrate, but his pace is only average overall.

Which players could your club target with their first pick?

5. Harrison Macreadie (NSW/ACT - GWS Academy)
Position: Key defence
Height, weight: 196cm, 89kg
Recruited from: UWS Giants
Plays like: Cale Hooker
Rated last month: 5
Rationale behind change of ranking: N/A
Profile: What most stands out with Macreadie is what he does with ball in hand. Macreadie can avoid would-be tacklers by selling candy and implementing a sharp sidestep but then has the ability to do something with the ball. He uses the footy well under pressure and has an excellent overall skillset. The Giants Academy prospect is a relatively penetrating kick who uses it well over short, medium and long distances, has the vision to find good targets and has the decision-making ability with ball in hand. Macreadie with space in front of him is also willing to provide run and carry and overlap run on some offensive drives. Macreadie is a very good intercept mark, reading the flight well, getting to the drop off the ball, working off his man at suitable times and often working for front position to take one-on-one marks. From a development standpoint, it would be interesting to see if Macreadie has the ability to play as a forward. Given his athletic profile and mix of attributes, he should theoretically also be a very effective forward as he has good aerial marking ability and can win the ball at ground level. The area of growth for Macreadie will be taking his intercept marking ability and one-on-one game to another level, which by position would enable him to become a dominant key defender at the next level.

Setterfield at 2, a huge gamble pick. His profile does fit the modern day midfielder. For mind didn't do enough in the U18 Allies team, to be in the Top 3. I see him drifting through to 6-12 but none the less, love the write up on him, and if picked at 2, wouldn't surprise me. A team will really be laughing if Setterfield's name is still around for their pick.. Lacking a bit of endurance and speed though?

How does Jack Graham play like Marley Williams? Out of all your phantom that would be the worst "plays like" in your comparisons?

Jack Graham is a stoppage specialist through the midfield and is also effective down back.

Graham reminds me of Williams for his dominating ground ball winning ability, good pace but then ordinary kicking.

There are other possible player comparisons where I could go with a genuine midfield comparison.

I'm not convinced Graham necessary starts his career through the midfield. He may, but he could just as easily be a piece down back.

Marley Williams could be a very effective onballer. He just plays down back because Collingwood don't have many high level options down back.

SPS at 7? Due to the fact he won't win the ball at the next level? anything else that he is lacking?. He reminds me of a Harley Bennell pick really, has the ability to go anywhere in the top 10, worthy of a top 3, if he is called. At 7, I rate this

Not tall, not strong bodied. Able but not great contested ball winner (on the improve) and able to find the footy (but can be inconsistent finding the footy).

SPS hasn't proven himself forward of centre to be as impactful as Bennell. I liken SPS more to a poor mans Burgoyne given his versatility, impact and well rounded game.

He could be higher on my draft board, but his lack of run and below standard footskills shown through the U18 championships v his previous play wasn't quite what I expect from him.

He can move up my draft board over the second half of the season. The talent is there and he can be better than he has shown.

Setterfield at 2, a huge gamble pick. His profile does fit the modern day midfielder. For mind didn't do enough in the U18 Allies team, to be in the Top 3. I see him drifting through to 6-12 but none the less, love the write up on him, and if picked at 2, wouldn't surprise me. A team will really be laughing if Setterfield's name is still around for their pick.. Lacking a bit of endurance and speed though?

July power rankings: http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/16690432/knightmare-afl-draft-power-rankings-july

Will over the coming days update page one with my July power rankings.

Last edited:
Quick thoughts on Mason DeWit from the Stingrays mate?

Good TAC Cup player. Can take an intercept mark. Long kick.

Probably not getting picked in the draft but is someone who could make a state league list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The situations where you'd be worried about defense is - if short, slow or thin. Scrimshaw is tall. For pace and physical stature he is fine. So overall I'm not all that worried about his ability to defend opponents at AFL level. It won't be what he will be selected for, but it is something he will be able to do fine at in theory.

Playing down back is such a team defence game now so as long as players in the 1v1s can hold their own - which Scrimshaw can if not playing v key forwards, there isn't any major reason for concern.

I saw the game v Werribee from Brodie but not the game v Geelong.

NEAFL being a state league is a more difficult standard of footy to play than the TAC Cup, so strong performances in the NEAFL are more convincing than strong performances in the TAC Cup.

Stats in the NEAFL are I'd estimate roughly as a guide, twise as hard as in the TAC Cup. So if Scheer to use a Gold Coast example was to average 15 disposals (to make up a number) this year in the NEAFL, I'd estimate that would be the equivalent of roughly 30 disposals in the TAC Cup.

Or if McCluggage averages again to make up a number 36 disposals and two goals in the TAC Cup, he would likely be good for around 18 disposals and one goal per game in the NEAFL.

Obviously in the case of Scheer's game 27 disposals wouldn't realistically equal 54 disposals in the TAC Cup, but it's a rough guide to give you a feel for the numbers translated. It also can work the other way where you may have Kobe Mutch and Connor Byrne averaging 30+ disposals in the TAC Cup but may not get 15 disposals much of the time in the NEAFL.

So that's a mighty impressive effort from Scheer in summary to get the 27 disposals. As per my weekly wrap, there weren't any other u18s anywhere close in the NEAFL on the weekend with Spargo with 17/18 disposals or whatever it was the next better accumulator.

Game reviews are very subjective. And it depends on what people see and value.

Brayshaw's stats read well and when I saw his numbers I was very surprised - not realising he kicked the four goals. I hardly noticed him and didn't feel his impact. If I had access to video replay then I'm sure I'd have given him more credit like yourself for his third quarter. But overall for most of the game, I didn't feel him as I did with Scrimshaw and to a lesser extent Florent and Taranto who were my three best from the eye-test on the day.

I would love video access and stats from ESPN via Champion Data. But ESPN in reaching out to Champion Data earlier this year from what I understand were unsuccessful in gaining stats/video for me. So it is what it is. It just means in my case sticking to going to games every week, sourcing what free stats and game tapes are available online and building relationships myself which have as a starting point at least meant Champion Data stats for TAC Cup and U18 Champs games.

Maybe in the future ESPN can further their relationship with Champion Data to make it happen. I don't know the full details, but that's what little that I know.

If I do get my hands on all the gametapes and stats. I'd be very excited to see what I can do. Particularly with my power rankings and quality and accuracy of profiles.

New week new game - another 54 TAC cup possessions for Scheer and 48 for Bowes.
Sydney smashes Gold Coast 170 to 46 - listed players abandon Academy youngsters ...

New week new game - another 54 TAC cup possessions for Scheer and 48 for Bowes.
Sydney smashes Gold Coast 170 to 46 - listed players abandon Academy youngsters ...

Sounds like I'll need to round down those NEAFL numbers to more like 1.5 TAC Cup disposals = 1 NEAFL disposal.

Needless to say excellent performances for both having those numbers.

A lot of guys from the TAC Cup can find 30 disposals most weeks then struggle to get 15 disposals in the VFL.

NEAFL is comparable to the VFL.

Take it as a good game and fingers crossed for Gold Coast fans Scheer and Bowes continue their growth because ultimately it's about getting the best possible players through the draft.

thoughts on Tyler Keitel? had 30 touches, 7 markes and 8 inside 50's in a storm. Looked good when moved forward in the last quarter.

thoughts on Tyler Keitel? had 30 touches, 7 markes and 8 inside 50's in a storm. Looked good when moved forward in the last quarter.

Has been one of the standout mature agers for me this season and getting better over the course of the season. Still young.

Very draftable. Has national draft chances based on standard of play.

Hey old mate, there was a bit of debate on our board whether Darcy Cameron or Brett Eddy would be a better fit for Essendon as a mature aged recruit. My opinion is that we should look at Cameron, despite Eddy being a more prolific goal scorer, Cameron has the ability to play as a 2nd ruck. Plus I think Eddy's chance had passed him by.

Hey old mate, there was a bit of debate on our board whether Darcy Cameron or Brett Eddy would be a better fit for Essendon as a mature aged recruit. My opinion is that we should look at Cameron, despite Eddy being a more prolific goal scorer, Cameron has the ability to play as a 2nd ruck. Plus I think Eddy's chance had passed him by.

Eddy as a rookie I like on value and would recommend to any team looking for a stop gap key forward who can play to an AFL standard.

He is the state league equivalent of Jeremy Cameron (with that same gamestyle with his major strength being running back into goal) and is good enough for AFL play. Key forwards can play into their 30s, so Eddy has plenty of football left in him. He could be a (younger) Jay Schulz equivalent for Essendon.

I like Eddy in Essendon's situation and would expect he would be an instant best 22 player for Essendon on the list as presently constructed.

Unless Essendon make an aggressive play for a Thomas Boyd, Jonathon Patton or someone else who either is or projects to be a high level key forward, Eddy is a cheap solution who can fill the hole to an adequate-good standard.

Darcy Cameron is still young and also if available as a rookie is someone as a relieving ruckman I'd also recommend to Essendon.

No reason not to get both if there as rookies. Essendon need another key forward and another relief ruck/forward and both on performance fit the bill.

What position was he playing? Must be playing on the ball by the sounds of it.
Is this in the 1's at WAFL level?

What position was he playing? Must be playing on the ball by the sounds of it.
Is this in the 1's at WAFL level?
Playing in the backline mainly but pushing up the ground a bit.was terrible,wet conditions but he looked good especially early
Was in the 1s v east perth

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Darcy Cameron being drafted depends on his off field behaviour and whether its improved enough for clubs
to draft him.
WCE had a huge look at him last year but decided against him, hence why we went after Giles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back