Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Dimitri Mascarenhas
He's recently quit as NZ bowling coach.Rather funny hearing him interviewed and he did some commentary of the recent Pakistan games.He's born in the UK to Sri Lankan parents,raised in WA and has an Aussie accent,played for England and was NZ bowling coach.

Dimitri Mascarenhas
He's recently quit as NZ bowling coach.Rather funny hearing him interviewed and he did some commentary of the recent Pakistan games.He's born in the UK to Sri Lankan parents,raised in WA and has an Aussie accent,played for England and was NZ bowling coach.
Hit Yuvraj for five sixes in an over once.

Dimitri Mascarenhas

With a Spanish sounding surname.

Muhammed Zahid... Pakistani who bowled quick. Came out here for a tri series once and I remember him cleaning up Brian Lara. Then had heaps of back injuries and never saw him again.

Mark Ealham - England one day player. Slowest "pace" bowler going around.

Muhammed Zahid... Pakistani who bowled quick. Came out here for a tri series once and I remember him cleaning up Brian Lara. Then had heaps of back injuries and never saw him again.

I thought that was Mohammed Wasim. Had clearly modelled his action on Michael Holding.

I thought that was Mohammed Wasim. Had clearly modelled his action on Michael Holding.

Wasim was the batter

Zahid was the pace bowler. Definitely looked like MIchael Holding, especially the start of his run up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw this article come up on The Guardian for Duncan Spencer. Had a spasmodic, but very eventful career both for WA and at Kent. Held in high regard by some of the best batsmen the game has seen in terms of his pace with Ricky Ponting and Viv Richards considering him as possibly the fastest and most aggressive they've faced. Looking back on it now, I reckon he has a right to be somewhat bitter with Malcolm Speed and the ACB at the time given the comparitavely lenient suspension handed down to Warne.

But great article and would highly recommend as a read for any cricket fan. As is the famous video of him bowling to Viv in the 50 over final. Anyone get the chance to see him in full flight in person?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/the-nightwatchman/2016/sep/16/duncan-spencer-cricket-fast-bowler

Spencer chuckles regularly as he reflects on his run-in with Ponting on a flat one at Hobart in 1993, though there wasn’t much mirth at the time. Ponting, the golden child of Australian cricket, and Jamie Cox were cruising towards centuries when, after tea, WA captain Geoff Marsh asked Spencer to raise hell. “I gave him three bouncers in a row,” remembers Spencer, “and he turned to the umpire and said: ‘How many are you going to let him *in’ bowl?’ I said: ‘What are you *in’ whingeing about, you’re on 90-odd and this pitch is a road!’”

They were playing testosterone cricket. The next ball was short, wide and smashed towards gully, where Julian took a blinder. “It was an absolutely awesome catch. We were all yahooing and telling him where to go, and then the umpire called no-ball! Of course Ponting had a smirk on his face, so the boys were pretty upset. I gave him another short one and he spat the chewy again and then I thought: ‘I’ve got to pitch this one up or the umpire’s going to nail me.’

“I pitched it up, he blocked it and it went off towards cover. He shaped like he was going to take a run, so I picked it up and threw it at the stumps. Trouble was that as he turned to get in the way of the stumps, it just went past his head. If it hit the stumps I reckon he might have been out. He turned around and said: ‘You do that again, I’ll wrap this *in’ bat around your head.’ I walked down the wicket and said: ‘Well, don’t let me hold you back!’”

Ponting dropped his bat and the two players ran at each other, bumping chests in the middle of the pitch before players and umpires separated them. After a couple more overs, mostly pitched up, Spencer was given a rest. That night, after play, he went to a nearby pub for a meal with his captain Marsh and bumped into Ponting – though not literally this time. “I went up to him and said: ‘How you goin’, mate?’ and then we had a beer together and a laugh,” Spencer says. “We played against each other again and we never had a problem. It was two young blokes with massive egos and a bit of passion.”

Love that line "he ducked... almost posthumously".

I played cricket as a kid with a guy named Jamie Heath he was pretty fast back then. I think he might have played a game for nsw any of you guys know of him. It was early 90s when I was playing with him.

Zahid has beeb said by many to have beeb some what quicker than Shoab acktar was in his prime.
There is some footage of zahid on you tube bowling. He bowled with a front on action and broke down more often than pat cummins has. Broke his back a few times, he eventually strung a few tests together but was never the same bowler after wards

Hahah my teammates and I since we all grew up playing SW99, we say anyone who bowls slow pace is "Rolling them Mark Ealham's"

For me I would say Tim Ambrose, Samir Dighe, Sadogopan Ramesh, Zimbabwe's Huckle, and Craig Spearman.

Anyone remember Gareth Batty?

Looks like we're in for a reprise :)

Seems to have done a great job at Surrey in the last couple of years as their talismatic leader. Plenty of steel about him. Good choice for an overseas tour IMO.

Akash Chopra... indian opener whos career started with an aussie tour in like 04 i think

Poor little prick got knocked over by brett lee just about every innings
Cricket wise perhaps but his work in the media exclude him from the obscure category personally. Some brilliant articles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back