Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Remove this Banner Ad

When I heard the news, I came as fast as I could to witness the Ziebull and Arjen melt down. They have not disappointed.
We should all be melting down.

Let's be honest a 31 year old Gibson should not be on an afl list.

And it looks worse when you see other veterans let go who are more worthy of a spot. it's hard to find a positive to this

Set to take on Boomer's "one year contracts at a time" mantle?

Hopefully the club expects him to be pushed out sometime next year. Didn't we draft 4 blokes with elite endurance last year? Surely one of them can kick over a jam tin.

I don't see why we kept Gibson and delisted Boomer. The logic to let Boomer go was that he wasn't going to be around in our next premiership tilt, well Gibbo at 31 most likely isn't either, and Boomer is a far more valuable and damaging player, much more worthy in the best 22. Gibbo is a work horse, but its quite frankly embarrassing that he is still on the list, not many teams would put up with his sloppy ball use and lack of pace, but he isn't alone in those areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see why we kept Gibson and delisted Boomer. The logic to let Boomer go was that he wasn't going to be around in our next premiership tilt, well Gibbo at 31 most likely isn't either, and Boomer is a far more valuable and damaging player, much more worthy in the best 22. Gibbo is a work horse, but its quite frankly embarrassing that he is still on the list, not many teams would put up with his sloppy ball use and lack of pace, but he isn't alone in those areas.

Because he happens to be our only midfielder that runs both ways and runs all game. Hopefully Clarke can take his spot, but it doesn't hurt to give him an extension.

Gibbo has what no one on our list has and that's a tank, and he is not injury prone.
You can't under estimate the importance of what he brings to the teams structure unless you know SFA about footy.
He has had a better year than, swallow, Cunnington, Atley, Thomas, Petrie..
Average 22 disposals, kicked 13 more goals than our captain, most of which were 50 out and at crucial times.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I have no issues that Gibbo was given an extension.

Considering our lack of run we have to keep him, and off his last two years he deserves it in any case.

The fact he stands out so much for us for his major strength in running is a major concern though.

It would be funny if Boomer played else where and they lined up on each other!

Hopefully the club expects him to be pushed out sometime next year. Didn't we draft 4 blokes with elite endurance last year? Surely one of them can kick over a jam tin.
Sooner or later, which is why the one year makes sense.

Yeah he butchers the ball a bit but he also works harder to create space than almost anyone else in the team by running hard.
I don't see many other guys working as hard as he does every week.
Worth another year but he may well get overtaken by some of the young guys by the end of the year.
I dont think he butchers the ball anymore than our captain who wore No. 7 did.

I dont think he butchers the ball anymore than our captain who wore No. 7 did.
You mean hack-kick Ziebell? Would like to see Jack handpass the ball to runners streaming off half back than hack it forward like he does.
I think part of Gibbo's disposal issues is probably fatigue by the time he goes to kick the ball.

Sobering comment dat !!

Sure.

If in this instance "sobering" is code for "amusingly simplistic take on list management by a guy with a Travis Bickle-like infatuation with Sam Gibson".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back