Past #29: Brent Harvey - AFL / North Melbourne games record holder (432gms/518gls) - thanks Boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

You wonder what has been said in front of Cooper and by who.
He is only a kid and can follow who he likes but sounds like a spoilt brat.

That was my immediate thought. I pictured a sullen Boomer wandering in through the Yarrambat manor's grand entrance dragging his sports bag full of kit from his cleaned out locker and Shayne going off her chops, houso style, all within earshot of Coops and co.

Visitors to the house would've echoed those sentiments too I bet.

They're just kids who love footy, and love their dad.

Actually he can refuse to be drafted as a F/S, sooo if he is good enough and doesn't want to then we miss out.
Also does this all add weight to the rumour that the boys were singing the bullies song to boomer that was mentioned somewhere on here awhile back....

Shayne seems to be acting worse than Boomer. Some of her instagram posts and now an interview which has become an article on afl.com is showing how selfish they are being.

Boomer is a legend and my favourite player but the way this has been handled by the Harvey's is really poor. Every possible opportunity there is for them to make a negative comment about not playing next year and a subtle jab at North is a joke.

I went to the G the day before Grand Final to see him and get him to sign my book and I was surprised to hear him say he goes from sad to angry every day. How can he be angry? - sad I get, but angry? he could only be angry at one thing - the club.

At 38 you would have thought him and his family would have mentally prepared for this but they are talking like North owe him a career into his 40's

Shayne seems to be acting worse than Boomer. Some of her instagram posts and now an interview which has become an article on afl.com is showing how selfish they are being.

Boomer is a legend and my favourite player but the way this has been handled by the Harvey's is really poor. Every possible opportunity there is for them to make a negative comment about not playing next year and a subtle jab at North is a joke.

I went to the G the day before Grand Final to see him and get him to sign my book and I was surprised to hear him say he goes from sad to angry every day. How can he be angry? - sad I get, but angry? he could only be angry at one thing - the club.

At 38 you would have thought him and his family would have mentally prepared for this but they are talking like North owe him a career into his 40's
40? I think it would be same if Boomer was 45 and being told enough is enough. I am so excited about seeing what a Boomer and Petrie less North Melbourne can be.

Shayne wouldn't be the first wife to speak out of turn, probably worth easing up a tad on Boomer as her history shows restraint isn't one of her best traits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pathetic from the Harveys.

Starting to think the shitty culture we have had at our club for the last 10 years was filtering from the top down...

Its like they say about St Kilda - starved of collective success the culture became about the individuals. Cannot believe the Harvey family would let that get out into the public - Brad has created this bullshit - keep going back to Denis "After the season is over mate you will be the first to know" - so different

We'd lose the right to using points to match a bit for him. He'd go into the draft pool and we would have as much right as any other club to select him.

I was talking more about, and this is an observation only of things since Harvey's departure news was made public, maybe this me me me attitude has something to do with why we have not tasted the ultimate success as a team in the past 17 years. You have to ask how far does the apple fall?

Maybe Brent has just surrounded himself with selfish people in his father and wife.

Hi All,

I do not post here often over the Journey but always observe the thoughts and reactions of other NM brothers and sisters.

This situation has gotten to me enough tho that I have felt the need to put my thoughts out there to any other fan who might want to read them and who knows maybe even Brent himself that's why at times it might even read like I'm addressing this directly to him.

What has prompted me to write this is Having read Shayne Harvey's comments today talking about her children and their anger towards NM and switching support to the recent premiers.

I don't for one second have any negative comment to make about those kids, infact I understand why they would feel that way after what's happend.

I have supported NM since I was 6 years old and I am about to turn 25. In that time since 99' in hasn't been exactly what anyone would call "fun". Not once in any year since then have I thought we are at least half a chance of winning a flag.

During the many years where we have not participated in the finals and were down right mediocre at best I still supported the team and was always proud to be a roo and will always continue to be.

Brent Harvey.
He has been our guy.
Our superstar, out champion.
He has carried the team despite other teams physically, verbally and doing whatever they could to stop Our best player since the turn of the millennia.

I was to young to remember the 90's so Brent is without hesitation the best NM player I have seen and is an out and out champion of our club.

(On a side note I think the club should retire Brent's number forever except for any of his kids.)

But one thing that has saddens me is the way Brent and some of his family have conducted themselves since then. Please stop these needless media interviews and social media posts in the hope that it will get you another club for next season. If another club wants you Brent they will come to you.

I don't begrudge any player at any team moving clubs for whatever reason they choose to do so for. Whether it be financial, location or greater opportunity.
In fact I fully support it as clubs will always do what is best for them when it comes to the end of the day.

I note with the Tom Boyd situation about some people in the media suggesting he should consider taking a pay cut earlier in the year. Since Saturday I haven't seen those comments re appear or that he or Picken, Johanisen or any one of those players get a pay rise. So my advice to any player is do whatever is best for you when you get the opportunity and take no notice of the so called experts on what will supposedly help you get a kick.

Why I mention this is, even tho you might think it's unrelated to Brent's situation but in my mind it's not. Brent has gave 20 years of outstanding service to our club but I think it would be safe to assume he was well remunerated for his time and efforts thru out and to be fair earned every cent that was owed to him in his contracts.

But this is a buisness.
NM must be looking ahead and trying new things otherwise we could wake up one day and 62 years may have passed us by.

Someone once said that " The cemetery is full of indispensable people." We are all replaceable no matter how differently we would like to believe other wise. Just like some 20 years ago when you took the spot of some other player who was probably deemed to have been 'to old', 'to injury prone' or maybe just ' not good enough anymore' or even ' not in our next premiership team'. Regardless of the reason or any reason at all for that matter what's done is done. The Jumper will always be blue and white stripes and I will always keep supporting it. The things that always change are who is in it regardless of how much the individual in it was loved by the fans.

Brent you are a Champion.
The NM fans will always love you and cherish the memories of your career.

The media have played this situation up because their only ever after a story and negative stories sell more papers and create more discussion to fil air space.
So don't think that they are ever there to help you because all they do is quickly move on to the next story and create tomorrow's fish n chip rappers.

The north fans will never forget.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavours.

Cheers,

Sorry to intrude but i'm stunned there is not more sympathy here for the Harvey family. I just don't get how a club winds up a champions career while they are still going strong? It's not just about history and respect, it's about what champions bring to the club behind the scenes. What they offer on the training track. It's about the young guys seeing how they can expect to be treated in 10+ years time. The player isn't bigger than the club, but in a certain sense they come to embody the club and that's kind of what gives it all meaning imo. The bottom line is performance, and if you are a champion and still performing (and not injury prone) then you should be untouchable.
There is an argument/fad about the defensive side of players going on right now. Like anything, these ideas can be carried too far. How would the Swans have gone in the GF with Boomer instead of Papley? You need more players who are balanced with both attacking and defending sure, but you can afford to have a few who specialize if they do it successfully enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back