The Academies - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS with 11 picks before 60 this draft.

Have they forgotten that they can only use as many picks as they have list spots? Why didn't they trade them for 2017 picks?

How many list spots do they have?

And that's why the AFL moved to limit the number of lower draft picks being used for matching - to get rid of the scenario of using a bunch of lower picks to match a high bid. We won't see the impact this year because of the future picks from last year being grandfathered in, but it could cause interesting decisions next year.

GWS are using the delay into fixing the rort in the academy system to maximise the value of working the system.

GWS have done well, but jeez they have been handed a system designed for them to benefit.

People don't object to the academies in the northern states. They object to the draft rights that northern clubs have over the academies. Blakey and Longmires kids would have gone to a boarding school in vic to play footy like most of the GWS 'academy' kids if there was no pathway afforded to them in NSW. I'm all for AFL run academies and academy players entering the draft like any other player.

A kid and a family who previously had No interest in afl and is enticed into the academies program do so mostly because of the pathway to the club of choice. Given they had no Interest in afl prior to that do you really believe that they would be enticed because they could be sent down Mexico way to play a game they don't know? let me fill the gaps- .........NO.

So the pathway to swans or other academy clubs is important to get them attached. Without it the kids would say - are you kidding I don't want to go to Mexico.

A kid and a family who previously had No interest in afl and is enticed into the academies program do so mostly because of the pathway to the club of choice. Given they had no Interest in afl prior to that do you really believe that they would be enticed because they could be sent down Mexico way to play a game they don't know? let me fill the gaps- .........NO.

So the pathway to swans or other academy clubs is important to get them attached. Without it the kids would say - are you kidding I don't want to go to Mexico.
Haha what a load of shite.

a lot of academy kids seem more than willingly to spend years at school in victoria why wouldn't they go there for a job, i mean they happy to leave their family at 16 but when they get to 18 suddenly it's oh my god being away from home at 16 was so easy but going away at 18 is just too hard.

Have they forgotten that they can only use as many picks as they have list spots? Why didn't they trade them for 2017 picks?

I wouldn't be surprised if the AFL let them count picks up to their original list concessions of 44 players for 2017.
Although looking at the GWS board they currently have 33 players and 3 are uncontracted, so maybe they go to the draft with 10 real list spaces.

I wouldn't be surprised if the AFL let them count picks up to their original list concessions of 44 players for 2017.
Although looking at the GWS board they currently have 33 players and 3 are uncontracted, so maybe they go to the draft with 10 real list spaces.
Our salary cap was reduced but I'm unsure if the list size rule was changed or not. Which would explain our actions

It will probably be changed at some point in the near future, basically saying if Academy players go and play in the TAC Cup for instance they are ineligible for priority selections in the academy. I don't know how many that would affect, but I can see the AFL starting to take those steps.

Expansion rides on the back of success. An expansion team like GWS will get a supporter base when it becomes finals successful as it is doing now. Therefore creating an infrastructure like draft picks (though most if not all see it as inequitable) is a necessary evil. The academies are another example of that.

we all either want to expand the appeal/ support to the whole nation and likewise grow the talent pool or we don't. There are no half measures. If we do and we should then all needs to accept that there are incentives within the infrastructure for that to occur.

On a personal not I look ahead and wonder how on earth the swans will beat the GWS with the team they are gathering. I then accept it is for the good and drop the disquiet. Have to because I but into the goal of expansion

They can only use as many picks as they have spare list spots. They can't use 11 picks to draft 6 players for example.

Our salary cap was reduced but I'm unsure if the list size rule was changed or not. Which would explain our actions

GWS really do have 11 list spots for the 11 picks that have draft value. They only have 29 players under contract for 2017, plus four more out of contract to be potentially delisted and/or re-rookied (Barrett, Downie, Simpson and Mohr), and have the same list size of every other team of 38-40 now.

GWS are using the delay into fixing the rort in the academy system to maximise the value of working the system.

GWS have done well, but jeez they have been handed a system designed for them to benefit.

They're not using the "delay into fixing" at all currently, and probably can't since four out of their five last picks aren't those grandfathered in and would just disappear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a lot of academy kids seem more than willingly to spend years at school in victoria why wouldn't they go there for a job, i mean they happy to leave their family at 16 but when they get to 18 suddenly it's oh my god being away from home at 16 was so easy but going away at 18 is just too hard.

You mean the likes of Crawf, the Danihers, the Hawkins ....

Not a great day for GWS.

Neil Cordy reporting that GWS will lose the Albury and Murray parts of their zone from next year.

I wonder if there is much Academy talent in those parts who will move into the broader draft pool.

More importantly with the list and cap reduction, likely draft pick stripping and now this what will you guys have left to bitch like dressmakers about??

Not a great day for GWS.

Neil Cordy reporting that GWS will lose the Albury and Murray parts of their zone from next year.

I wonder if there is much Academy talent in those parts who will move into the broader draft pool.
About bloody time.

Its the right decision

BUT

again the AFL do their usual knee jerk.
This should of been grandfathered to make sure the time and money that went into players we still get access to.

Eddie must be giggling into his cereal after all the knee jerk reactions by the AFL this year towards the north.
Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

So the question becomes - will the AFL step up to the ball and continue the talent identification and development that GWS provided, or will Albury and Corowa and so on go back to stagnating like it has for 20 years? I guess we'll find out in five years time once all the ex-academy kids are out of the system.

So the question becomes - will the AFL step up to the ball and continue the talent identification and development that GWS provided, or will Albury and Corowa and so on go back to stagnating like it has for 20 years? I guess we'll find out in five years time once all the ex-academy kids are out of the system.

You could say the same about a lot of areas. I think WA and SA could use a lot more development. The SANFL and WAFL have no cash, and no one else is putting money into the state.

Northern Territory and Tasmania also need help.

Its the right decision

BUT

again the AFL do their usual knee jerk.
This should of been grandfathered to make sure the time and money that went into players we still get access to.

Eddie must be giggling into his cereal after all the knee jerk reactions by the AFL this year towards the north.
Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Eddie will be happy when you follow the same rules as the other 14 clubs. You still have access to a large number of players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back