Review Winners and Losers - 2016 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a long way from not a good kick to a very poor kick. Danger especially has the ability to break lines that even a tumbled or bombed kick is still effective. Fyfe's game is about beast mode-ing the ball to runners.

This is just one video but his kicking is terrible and his handballs in tight don't show any creativity. If you can't kick it you need to at least handball out to runners in good positions and instead he just dumps off handballs or throws it on the boot.

63 was a long way down but did many predict him to go top 30? Certainly not top 20. Falling from 30-40 to 63 isn't that big of a slide.

When Danger was first drafted he was a woeful kick, it taken quite a few years to get him to just acceptable kicking standard.

That was the range I expected him to go 30-40. When your game is so contested poor disposal will be highlighted even more, but clubs would be able to help developed that part of his game and get it to an exceptable level.

SOS did that last year, with pick 19 we wanted speed. Cuningham has it in spades, so we took him earlier then he's expected draft range.

Think if you take Jy Simpkin at that pick, your probably expecting he will move into the midfield down the track.
It is what North are missing a absolute gun young midfielder.
Ryan Clarke I rate, will be a good to very good player, but probably not elite and Ahern is also a great get but we still have to see how he comes back after missing 2/3 years of footy.

Florent going to the Swans was surprising, do you think if he was available you would have gone with him ?

You hear this a lot, but a gun forward is worth his weight in gold. Would you prefer Cyril Rioli or a good mid like Hannebury. I'd take Cyril by a mile.

Winners
Brisbane
GCS
Port
Swans

Losers
Crows
WC
Cats

huh?

I'd say we're pretty middle of the park in this draft, that said no one does scream certain star in our crop just yet.

eh?

I'd say we're pretty middle of the park in this draft with a fair bit boom/bust potential.

Think you went way to early on Gallucci, Himmilberg not a bad get, don't really rate the other players you drafted.
Melbourne and Hawthorn haven't done great either but the picks they had were very late.

Ben Long also picked way earlier then expected.
Way earlier than than most and BF in particular expected, but Brett Anderson had him at 26 yesterday and apparently said that Western Bulldogs were going to take him at that pick if he was still available (which is presumably why we took him there and didn't try to get him at our next pick) and Sam Landsberger also said that we got in before WB and that there were other clubs really interested as well, including Essendon and North (who also had picks before our next one in the 30's).

He may be an "overager" but he's apparently still at school- like most of the rest of this draft class- and has also apparently grown a good 6cm since last year (and a lot over the last 3 years), so physically he's still really raw and possibly still growing- yet despite still being at school and being so raw he was good enough to kick 6 goals in a VFL preliminary final, despite not having done a VFL preseason.

You hear this a lot, but a gun forward is worth his weight in gold. Would you prefer Cyril Rioli or a good mid like Hannebury. I'd take Cyril by a mile.

Cyril can go through the midfield. Seen Clarko throw him in the centre square plenty of times.
Simpkin is very creative with ball in hand, why would you want him further up the ground.
Will most likely start as a small forward and potentially push into the midfield in a few years time.

overall pretty happy with our picks
shai bolton is an excitement machine and can run and carry. him and rioli up forward looks great on paper
jack graham larke medalist wins the ball and has size kicking sounds his biggest issue. any other reason he slid?

though he is in great company
larke medalist's
2016: Jack Graham
2015: Josh Schache (Pick 2)
2014: Christian Petracca (Pick 3
2013: Dom Sheed (Pick 11)
2012: Lachie Whitfield (Pick 1)
2011: Stephen Coniglio (Pick 2)
2010: Harley Bennell (Pick 2)
2009: David Swallow (Pick 1)

and to finish off our last pick ryan garthwaite who i have read a few journo's under 18 watchers rated him the best 1-1 defender. apparently has a weird kicking action but finished high up in the handball drill and goal kicking at the combine

Way earlier than than most and BF in particular expected, but Brett Anderson had him at 26 yesterday and apparently said that Western Bulldogs were going to take him at that pick if he was still available (which is presumably why we took him there and didn't try to get him at our next pick) and Sam Landsberger also said that we got in before WB and that there were other clubs really interested as well, including Essendon and North (who also had picks before our next one in the 30's).

He may be an "overager" but he's apparently still at school, like most of the rest of this draft class and has also apparently grown a good 6cm since last year, so physically he's still really raw and possibly still growing- yet despite all that he was good enough to kick 6 goals in a VFL preliminary final, despite not having done a VFL preseason.

I thought the doggies could have had some thing to do with it. They would have been very keen, tore it up for them in the VFL finals and they probably would have taken him at pick 28.
Good get for the saints very good fit for there list, was expecting him to around the 30-45 range. So true only slightly earlier.

Think you went way to early on Gallucci, Himmilberg not a bad get, don't really rate the other players you drafted.
Melbourne and Hawthorn haven't done great either but the picks they had were very late.

We've done a lot better than that. I didn't have Galluci that high either but he absolutely fills some of our needs, Poholke a bargain, my favourite of the lot we drafted. Himmelberg and Davis not so excited about but Signorello is a beauty down that low. I'd have us middle of the road overall.

Port for mine destroyed it. Very good drafting.

I think mccluggage was the best. He is the standout 185cm.
I think they couldve had battle. They need that third tall.
Dclarke - useless.
Happy to proven wrong. Its all just opinion for 2 years ar least. We'll see. I could well be wrong.
Battle is incredibly lazy and there's a reason he fell so far. Happy we didn't select him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

overall pretty happy with our picks
shai bolton is an excitement machine and can run and carry. him and rioli up forward looks great on paper
jack graham larke medalist wins the ball and has size kicking sounds his biggest issue. any other reason he slid?

though he is in great company
larke medalist's
2016: Jack Graham
2015: Josh Schache (Pick 2)
2014: Christian Petracca (Pick 3
2013: Dom Sheed (Pick 11)
2012: Lachie Whitfield (Pick 1)
2011: Stephen Coniglio (Pick 2)
2010: Harley Bennell (Pick 2)
2009: David Swallow (Pick 1)

and to finish off our last pick ryan garthwaite who i have read a few journo's under 18 watchers rated him the best 1-1 defender. apparently has a weird kicking action but finished high up in the handball drill and goal kicking at the combine

Graham is a beast when he is top dog in the side. He loves to be the leader and plays like it. But when he's not, we'll he really struggles to step it up with better players around him. His SANFL reserves form was less than inspiring and never truly destroyed SANFL under 18's like he should. His champs were truly big for him and I strongly believe he relished that leadership because it's one of his strengths. Takes him to the next level. He's certainly got the strength and muscle to play next year but aside from being great at the contest, he's not well skilled not much of an athlete. Bit of a plodder in a sense. Tough as nails though.

We've done a lot better than that. I didn't have Galluci that high either but he absolutely fills some of our needs, Poholke a bargain, my favourite of the lot we drafted. Himmelberg and Davis not so excited about but Signorello is a beauty down that low. I'd have us middle of the road overall.

Port for mine destroyed it. Very good drafting.

If that need is speed you could have gotten a few other players that are as quick or quicker and have better disposal.
Gallucci was an early to mid 2nd rounder at best IMO, pick 15 way to high.
Poholke wasn't really a bargain that was expected range, if not slightly earlier. I do rate him though and he is probably the pick of your draftees.

Battle is incredibly lazy and there's a reason he fell so far. Happy we didn't select him.
Pretty unusual for someone to win a time trial at the AIS Academy and to test elite for endurance at the combine if they're "incredibly lazy", I would have thought.

Tim Membrey was a very similar type who likewise "slid" a lot lower than most expected him to go and that didn't stop him from kicking 44 goals from just 17 games at AFL level just 4 years later, so we'll just see how Josh goes.

The validity of the GWS academy looks a loser at this stage.

I'll give them Perryman because he's from further north and basically only played locally and for the rams this year, but

They took Setterfield, Cumming and Tiziani after they've all done the bulk of their development interstate (Caufield+Sandringham, North Adelaide and Murray) this year while passing on Macreadie and Fisher (both played in their winning NEAFL GF) and also Garthwaite and Mutch.

They can't have been that hard up for list space either if they had room to add Matt De Boer.

Fair enough with Gallucci, as i had similar thoughts with his selection. He does tick some very useful boxes on a midfielder though in that he's clean, good overhead, good turn of speed and seems to have very good vision which i can see why we may have jumped to get him early.

Polkeys a need, and again has a couple of points of difference to our midfield if he clicks. That said, i have some concerns that he seems to be a bit of a man-child.

Himmelberg i'm not seeing it yet, but i'm waiting until the season proper to see what we do with him.

Others just seem like quite good project players. Good tools, clean players but haven't put it all together which is what you want at 60s-70s.

Fair enough with Gallucci, as i had similar thoughts with his selection. He does tick some very useful boxes on a midfielder though in that he's clean, good overhead, good turn of speed and seems to have very good vision which i can see why we may have jumped to get him early.

Polkeys a need, and again has a couple of points of difference to our midfield if he clicks. That said, i have some concerns that he seems to be a bit of a man-child.

Himmelberg i'm not seeing it yet, but i'm waiting until the season proper to see what we do with him.

Others just seem like quite good project players. Good tools, clean players but haven't put it all together which is what you want at 60s-70s.

In fairness the spot you guys were picking from was tricky, particularly if you didn't need a forward, it was just a few spot out from the really high end talent and left you and WC to take players with talent but some risk attached that sat outside that top tier of players.
Think the main reason I'm marking you guys down is Gallucci, just don't rate him, looked so much better as a bottom aged player, seem to go backwards this year.

If that need is speed you could have gotten a few other players that are as quick or quicker and have better disposal.
Gallucci was an early to mid 2nd rounder at best IMO, pick 15 way to high.
Poholke wasn't really a bargain that was expected range, if not slightly earlier. I do rate him though and he is probably the pick of your draftees.

Galluci varies strongly across many boards...and from close recruiting ties I've seen him rated inside the top 10 I personally had him at 24 so I was unsure what to feel so will wait but with a positive outlook knowing the Adelaide Footy Club is damn good environment to blossom in. I wanted Venables but from what Ogilvie said, they had their eyes on Galluci for a while and I'll trust his eyes better than mine (and I watch a helluva lot of Under 18 footy). In terms of quick players available at that pick, that are goalkicking mids, he was one of if not the best there.

Poholke is a beast, personally had him at 32 and often wondered why i didn't have him higher. Given the depth of the draft, there is going to be a lot of variance but overall, we've come out well.

Pretty unusual for someone to win a time trial at the AIS Academy and to test elite for endurance at the combine if they're "incredibly lazy", I would have thought.

Tim Membrey was a very similar type who likewise "slid" a lot lower than most expected him to go and that didn't stop him from kicking 44 goals from just 17 games at AFL level just 4 years later, so we'll just see how Josh goes.
I'm not saying he'll never be good. Just that there are alot of question marks over him which is probably why most teams passed on him, despite the fact he was one of the few KPFs available. At the pick the Saints got him at though they can't really go wrong.

Happy we filled up on midfielders and left the drafting of KPPs until next year.

Galluci varies strongly across many boards...and from close recruiting ties I've seen him rated inside the top 10 I personally had him at 24 so I was unsure what to feel so will wait but with a positive outlook knowing the Adelaide Footy Club is damn good environment to blossom in. I wanted Venables but from what Ogilvie said, they had their eyes on Galluci for a while and I'll trust his eyes better than mine (and I watch a helluva lot of Under 18 footy). In terms of quick players available at that pick, that are goalkicking mids, he was one of if not the best there.

Poholke is a beast, personally had him at 32 and often wondered why i didn't have him higher. Given the depth of the draft, there is going to be a lot of variance but overall, we've come out well.

I think he varies because of his inconsistent kicking. Much of that is due to his explosive nature of play which will be refined with AFL coaching. He can obviously kick the ball beautifully when he gets it right so it is just about consistency. Explosive goal kicking mids that are strong around the hips dont grown on trees. I see plenty to work with in him. I will add that the last explosive mid the crows had was Danger and I recall him having kicking issues for quite some time too. Gallucci could be an out and out star if it all comes together imo

Winners
Brisbane
GCS
Port
Swans

Losers
Crows
WC
Cats

I was shocked we took Venables at 13 like most others who were expecting Berry or English. But the club identified a need, not sure how we're "losers" in this draft. Everyone seems very happy with these 4 picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back