What to expect in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry but I get really tired of this comment. The top teams have plenty of blokes in the team that are just good honest toilers. I am tipping Armfield would get a game at any other club and probably play many games in a season. I don't see too much difference between him and say Puopolo for Hawthorn.

You have got to be kidding.. No offence but that is as silly a statement as I have ever read on BF (outside of an essendon thread)

You have got to be kidding.. No offence but that is as silly a statement as I have ever read on BF (outside of an essendon thread)

Not kidding at all. I will leave you to continue to be seduced by blokes that play in awesome teams that look like millionaires even though they are just good ordinary players, no different to what Armfield is.

Sorry but I get really tired of this comment. The top teams have plenty of blokes in the team that are just good honest toilers. I am tipping Armfield would get a game at any other club and probably play many games in a season. I don't see too much difference between him and say Puopolo for Hawthorn.

Cmon...I'm no fan of little Paul but he is miles ahead of Dennis. There are some limited players in good teams but they all have one thing in common - ability to read play and make good decisions. Dennis isn't good enough in this respect.

Cmon...I'm no fan of little Paul but he is miles ahead of Dennis. There are some limited players in good teams but they all have one thing in common - ability to read play and make good decisions. Dennis isn't good enough in this respect.

I seem to recall Jarod Blair being lauded as a superstar when the Pies were flying during their top 4 years. Interesting since they have gone bad that he can barely get a sniff. I maintain that ordinary players can look really good in top teams.

Ask yourself the question, would Dennis get a game in any of the top 8 teams? Even top 12.. For me its a clear no.
Dennis is a player who warrants a spot in the team on pace and work ethic; both of which he possesses more than perhaps any other player we've had these last few years.

When he's squeezed out of the side on merit, with other players offering more of what he does, then that will mean good things for us.

Would love to think so, as the Tigers have lost a genuine threat in Deledio - the only one from their entire list who can get the team going when things are going against them - but come on. They've set themselves for the next two years, for whatever reason. They won't win a flag; they won't bottom out, quite. They'll be round about the bottom of the eight, either side of that divide, and they'll beat some good sides then lose to some poor ones. A midfield of Cotchin, Martin, Caddy, Miles and Prestia is nothing to sneeze at; not world beaters either, but a good mixture of differing types of player. They've still got Riewoldt and Rance, so it's really whether or not we can kick a winning score and win the midfield battle that'll sway the match either way.

Unless we absolutely tear them apart through the middle - Cripps, Murph, Gibbs, Curnow all having blinders, or the new kids stepping up and having a performance worthy of a Rising Star nomination by kicking goals as well as clearing the ball - they should beat us. What I want to see, though, is improved strategy entering the forward line, improved leading patterns from whatever talls we select, and some more influence from Kruezer around the stoppages, either through possessing the ball or influencing the fall of it, either from a tap or a shepherd or a tackle.

Little things first. Improved game plan means better performances, and maybe more wins. Richmond have set themselves for the short term, which means that they should be winning round one. Would absolutely love to beat them, just really don't think that'll happen.

On paper Richmond have the better midfield - but that is reading last year's paper - maybe they stay better for another year- we will jump way past them in 2018 if just 2-3 of the new kids come good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dennis is a player who warrants a spot in the team on pace and work ethic; both of which he possesses more than perhaps any other player we've had these last few years.

When he's squeezed out of the side on merit, with other players offering more of what he does, then that will mean good things for us.

That is exactly my point, he is probably in the best 22 currently.. If he still is by mid season then it means the kids that I hoped would come on, haven't.

Puopolo is a lot better than Blair

Hey Soapy with all due respect if you rewind back to when the Pies were flying Blair was every bit as good as Puopolo and spoken of in the same terms. My point is when the Pies declined so did Blair because he is not good enough to shine in a poor team. The same would be for Puopolo in my opinion, if he was playing in a weak side he would be a battler, put him in one of the best teams of all time at the right time and he plays his role very well.

A player like Armfield (or you could insert a dozen other names from other teams) could just as well fit into a team like Hawthorn, play a role and be seen as a far better player. On 2016 stats alone not much separates them, Armfield averaged 15 disposals per game to Puopolo 14, Puopolo averaged 1.6 goals per game to Armfield 1.1. I agree that stats are not everything but I also think some on this board are very harsh on Armfield compared to similar players. This is just my opinion but the bloke has played 140 games for the Blues and deserves a little more respect than he gets.

Hey Soapy with all due respect if you rewind back to when the Pies were flying Blair was every bit as good as Puopolo and spoken of in the same terms. My point is when the Pies declined so did Blair because he is not good enough to shine in a poor team. The same would be for Puopolo in my opinion, if he was playing in a weak side he would be a battler, put him in one of the best teams of all time at the right time and he plays his role very well.

A player like Armfield (or you could insert a dozen other names from other teams) could just as well fit into a team like Hawthorn, play a role and be seen as a far better player. On 2016 stats alone not much separates them, Armfield averaged 15 disposals per game to Puopolo 14, Puopolo averaged 1.6 goals per game to Armfield 1.1. I agree that stats are not everything but I also think some on this board are very harsh on Armfield compared to similar players. This is just my opinion but the bloke has played 140 games for the Blues and deserves a little more respect than he gets.

i don't agree but just my opinion. Puoplo for example is a much better mark, better kick and great goal sense. Is he a star? NO but very handy in the side. Blair played some good footy in a good side. As for Armfield, he has a go and has some pace and I get the impression he has got the absolute best out of himself. Also very likeable which makes criticism hard. In a lot of ways I think Armfield has got games because we have been a very bad list. Lets face it, there hasn't been a lot of competition. Poor kick and doesn't win a lot of ball. Played the odd very good game. I don't think he would ever get a game at Hawthorn (because Clarko wants good kicks) and there is no way he would get a spot in the Bulldogs GWS or Sydney. I don't think he will get many games this year but has been kept as a back up and an experienced head at the Northern Blues

i don't agree but just my opinion. Puoplo for example is a much better mark, better kick and great goal sense. Is he a star? NO but very handy in the side. Blair played some good footy in a good side. As for Armfield, he has a go and has some pace and I get the impression he has got the absolute best out of himself. Also very likeable which makes criticism hard. In a lot of ways I think Armfield has got games because we have been a very bad list. Lets face it, there hasn't been a lot of competition. Poor kick and doesn't win a lot of ball. Played the odd very good game. I don't think he would ever get a game at Hawthorn (because Clarko wants good kicks) and there is no way he would get a spot in the Bulldogs GWS or Sydney. I don't think he will get many games this year but has been kept as a back up and an experienced head at the Northern Blues

Yeah fair enough, time will tell with how he goes this year. I had a look at the Bulldogs list before and it is hard to know because they came from a long way back last year to win. I would need to see more of Biggs and McLean to be convinced they are far better players. GWS are Frankenstein's monster so I will leave them but the Swans I totally disagree with. Jake Lloyd, Tom Papley, George Hewitt, Xavier Richards, Harry Cunningham and even Ben McLynn all played in their last 2 grand final teams. You rightly point out it is just an opinion but most of those guys are at a similar level to Armfield.

Jake Lloyd, Tom Papley, George Hewitt, Xavier Richards, Harry Cunningham and even Ben McLynn all played in their last 2 grand final teams. You rightly point out it is just an opinion but most of those guys are at a similar level to Armfield.

that we will just have to agree to disagree. the above are good players and importantly have good skills. i think this is where armfield falls down. bottom line is you obviously rate him higher than I do. ;)

that we will just have to agree to disagree. the above are good players and importantly have good skills. i think this is where armfield falls down. bottom line is you obviously rate him higher than I do. ;)

Yeah happy to move on. I don't rate him highly as an overall player but do think his good outweighs his bad. I just think we are quick to lampoon our own whilst we overrate players from other teams.

Yeah happy to move on. I don't rate him highly as an overall player but do think his good outweighs his bad. I just think we are quick to lampoon our own whilst we overrate players from other teams.
Good post TL
Along similar lines. What I expect in 2017 is the self proclaimed pragmatic, practical posters suggesting a bottom 2 or similar finish is
more likely than not, to have to eat their bloody words.

Our 7 wins last year were not an aberration, they were an entrée. We have a myriad of players that would not be out of place in a
"premiership team". The smarties tipping we have single digit premiership quality players are either shell shocked from our plight over
recent seasons, or poor judges. The recent plight has been as much from coaching and administration, as player deficiencies. We have
now added some top end talent, which will allow the load to be spread and alleviate the need to play square pegs in round holes so to speak.

Some posters bang on day after day about the need to cull another double figure number to be competitive. There are plenty of players,
who, on the surface are expendable, but a decent percentage of the "must culls" could also add value as the bottom handful of players
on the list, providing they have the scope to contribute to the "game plan". The list build goes on, so there will continue to be changes
and our improvement will continue. Those predicting a long term GWS juggernaut will again be surprised. "A champion team will beat a
team of champions" (this was to a large degree vindicated by the 'doggies)

Our improvement will continue to come from improved game plan and players skilled enough to allow it in it's entirety rather than an abridged
version to cater for weaknesses. The group is now a solid unit working together toward a common goal and working for, and caring about
each other, more than watching their backs and fighting for survival. For the most part, buy in now means survival.

We already have a list that (given reasonable expectation re tall forwards), with maturity is good enough to contend, given the focus
and coaching that we now have. The addition of young, talented KPP and the injection of pace and skill from the last two trade/draft
periods have left us ready to be very competitive, particularly if we have some luck with injury to key players.

If making predictions, I would suggest that we will spend most of the season in contention to sneak in to the top 8. I suspect we will
fade out at the business end, due to fatigue to young players, and players returning from injury with limited physical grounding leading
in to the season, and finish around ten or eleven with 8-11 wins. I don't discount playing finals, but feel compelled to temper these thoughts given our youth, and the need to "blood" quite a few players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back