What to expect in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
There is no doubt in my mind that we have a great coaching team led by BB. So what should we expect next year?

BACKLINE. There is no reason to expect us to go backwards in our backline. We have depth there and some real class. Yet we saw these players operating together this year for the first time. Weitering, Plowman, byrne were all great additions.Touhy, Simpson , Docherty and Rowe having excellent seasons.
But it is the further development possible of each individually and also as a team, that excites. Weitering is just starting his development, yet he played consistently to such a high level. He can only get better. Plowman had a slow start due to injury. Yet he performed very solidly. With fitness and another preseason, i expect an even better performance . Byrne is such an exciting player, but injuries this year cut his season short. His upside seems enourmous. Simpson and Docherty have had outstanding years. Its hard to see simmo improving on this year but , his body is resilient. Docherty has had a breakout year, and i expect even better next year. Touhy has also been excellent. Rowe seems to have thrived in the team defence environment. Considering the development potential, it seems hard to imagine our defence not being one of the best in the competition.

MIDFIELD. our stocks are thin in the midfield , no doubt. We are at least 2 class midfielders short. But the good news is that sos will be on to the job.
The injured Murphy showed his importance to our midfield in his absence. Cripps will only get better, which is amazing given his high level of achievement so far. Gibbs will thrive in a midfield that runs deeper. Curnow has had a chance to move out from his pure tagging role, and has thrived.
But once the rotations kick in we struggle. Graham, Kerridge and Wright are not the answer. Any class midfield addition will be significant upgrades on these 3, and we desperately need this to happen. And it will. So with at least two midfield additions, i expect a significant improvement-especially with murphy coming back in, and the likely performance increases to gibbs and cripps with others to share the load.

FORWARDS
Its hard not to be excited about our forward line in 2017.
Silvagni has already shown his class. With a full preseason, his speed and endurance will improve. And it needs to , as this has been his weakness. Which only underlines how good he is- his game against brisbane, giving us a glimpse of what he is capable of. A beautiful kick of the ball, means he wont need to get it often, to have a massive impact on the scoreboard. Yet he is likely to be able to improve significantly in his ball winning ability with his extra fitness and a bigger body.
Curnow. Another beautiful kick. Already with elite endurance. I expect a much bigger charlie to come out next year, after another preseason in the gym. A great mark , mobile with a great tank, he us likely to run defenders off their feet. He us a prodigious kick , being able to kick them from outside 50 m.
Harry. Didnt get on the park to show us what he is capable of. Internally rated as possibly the best of the 2015 draftees, which is amazing given how the others have performed already. Needs a big preseason to hopefully show us why we rated him so highly.
Casboult. The source of many frustrations to us all. An elite mark with terrible kicking. But he has suffered from the pressure of being our only key forward. This has affected his confidence IMO. Put him in a forward line of Silvagni, Curnow and Mckay, and he will be a real handful.

With improvements across all lines likely, and a great coach, i feel like the future is bright. We wont need to wait 5 years as some have suggested. If we can run the likes of Hawthirn, Sydney and West coast to a close finish this year, i am sure we can beat them next year

We will still have a very young and inexperienced forward line with SOS, Curnow and McKay. You could even throw Jaksch into that group. He's a little bit older, but still only 14 games young.
I would still expect that to be our weakest link and very up and down on form. Throw in maybe Sumner and Lamb and that's a forward line with a combined 90 games experience as of now.

46358331.jpg

I'd caution next season. I have a feeling we might be about the same as this year. 6 wins, give or take 1 or 2 depending on the fixture. But I'd expect about the same as this year.

We performed above expectations by a long way this year. We were tipped by a few to not win a game this season. I expected 2-3 tbh myself. But let's not forget where we are here, aside from a 4 game stretch we have probably been about where most predicted. Probably pushed teams further than most though, but thereabouts where most thought in terms of W/L's aside from that 4 week period.

Next year I'd expect us to push about 6-8 wins. Would be good with 8. Less than 6 would be disappointing.

depends who we recruit but i hope we get 6-8 young kids in the draft and 3-4 from gws. do that and i see it as a real development year. names like silvagni curnow mckay cuningham weiteirng sumner plowman g-mac phillips need games and so will the newbies. the sooner the better. there is no substitute. we will still have heaps of experience around them with murphy gibbs simpson curnow docherty tuohy leading the way.

if we do that i expect a step back in results but a step forward in development.

results may well depend upon fitness form and improvement in jaksch byrne boekhurst buckley gorringe kerridge lamb & graham

Expecting more positive development of youngsters, another list clean out and more restructuring.
Refinment of game plan too.
We'll finish amongst the last few as expected for yet next couple of seasons, after which we'll begin to rise again.

6-8 wins, incremental improvement, lower margin losses
I'd be very happy with this as long as it goes hand in hand with team selection that reflects a youthful list.

Pretty confident that will be the case after the recent retirements and impending trades/delistments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

-6-8 wins
-A couple of decent scalps
-The continued growth of an eventual A-Grade defence with Mr.Plow, Wiets, Byrne and Doch growing together.
-The start of a functioning forward line with MCKay, SOS and Curnow finding their feet.
-A midfield that may stagnate. (For now)

Realistically bottom 4, but Bolts has shown he can get the best out of guys who give him their best, so I won't rule anything out.

Our backline has been great and will continue to be our best line.

Cripps will grow again and adding a potential top 5 pick, perhaps another in the top 20, along with hopefully more games out of Murph our midfield will improve.

Our forwards will continue to be a slow burn but we're playing the long game here. If we trade Casboult and/or Everitt (at least one please), our youth will be glaringly exposed. However, both SOS and Charlie have produced about a goal a game in their handful of games and I hope natural development could push them to 25-30 goals each next year, if they can stay on the park. No huge expectations on Harry Mac, play as much as possible, learn as much as possible.

i cant understand the pessimism . Our Backline is not a problem. Our midfield will improve markedly with murph back and 2 shiny new recruits (how many times have our second string on ballers , received the ball only to fumble or make slow decisions, and therefore cruel our momentum into the forward line- kerridge is a classic at this). cuningham could be part of the solution.
How can our forward line NOT improve? Its been non existent this year, with casboult the sole hand in there. Add full seasons with the fitter, stronger Silvagni Curnow and Mckay's beside him and its got to improve. Its not as if these three are replacing Betts, henderson and Waite , they are replacing who?

i cant understand the pessimism . Our Backline is not a problem. Our midfield will improve markedly with murph back and 2 shiny new recruits (how many times have our second string on ballers , received the ball only to fumble or make slow decisions, and therefore cruel our momentum into the forward line- kerridge is a classic at this). cuningham could be part of the solution.
How can our forward line NOT improve? Its been non existent this year, with casboult the sole hand in there. Add full seasons with the fitter, stronger Silvagni Curnow and Mckay's beside him and its got to improve. Its not as if these three are replacing Betts, henderson and Waite , they are replacing who?

There was one peice of play last weekend. It's was Cuningham running at pace with a great pick up and fired off the handball which hit the target and we were off to the races.
Kerrigde just would not have been clean enough by hand to make this same play, he really need to work on his ball handing skills over the off season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back