ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Thought I will start a post on the Next Gen Academies.
as it will be the same as the Father Son drafting and there are a couple of Kids already looking good

First up in order to save you guys from my gramma assault I will post the articles.
AFL Club Next Generation Academies, this article give a run down on who and where.
http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/index.php?id=1942

This article explains the 1 of rule used this year '
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-27/academy-rules-tweaked-to-give-overlooked-talent-another-chance
Note following is a section from that article highlighting the point system that will be used to get these players.
"The next generation academies, which were announced earlier this year, have seen every club (outside of the four northern clubs) allocated different regions to develop multicultural and indigenous talent.
If the talent is deemed good enough to be picked by a club in their respective draft season, they will be up for grabs under the points-based academy and father-son bidding system on draft night."

So guys and Girls if you hear anything good about young Multicultural and Indigenous communities players coming from
Central District; Glenelg; North Adelaide; Sturt; Northern Country; APY Lands East (SA)
Lets hear about it.

To start the ball rolling I piont out this article,
And from talking to a few in the know two of these kids can be very good
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-11-18/academy-taps-into-talent
Keep an eye out on Diing Akur 194 at 14 years of age, and he loves the game and is like a sponge he soaking up everything about the game.

What would be interesting is if we recruit a few guys from African backgrounds, if we can engage with their wider communities to have them come along to games.

The soccer club I used to play for had a couple African kids join one year and each weekend their family and friends would come to watch games. The passion they brought to their support was infectious.

Maybe we could have a migrant/refugee concession ticket price or something?

What would be interesting is if we recruit a few guys from African backgrounds, if we can engage with their wider communities to have them come along to games.

The soccer club I used to play for had a couple African kids join one year and each weekend their family and friends would come to watch games. The passion they brought to their support was infectious.

Maybe we could have a migrant/refugee concession ticket price or something?

Good idea. I think we could afford to give a couple of tickets to family of promising youngsters from non-traditional backgrounds...

Good idea. I think we could afford to give a couple of tickets to family of promising youngsters from non-traditional backgrounds...
And family of non-promising youngsters from non-traditionl backgrounds also

Would we only have access to these kids if they were overlooked in the normal draft. So for example, if Diing Akur becomes the next Nic Nat and is a number 1 draft, he will go number 1 and the previous years wooden spooners would get him?

Or do we have access to these kids at a discount the same way father/son and rugby states academies work?

Would we only have access to these kids if they were overlooked in the normal draft. So for example, if Diing Akur becomes the next Nic Nat and is a number 1 draft, he will go number 1 and the previous years wooden spooners would get him?

Or do we have access to these kids at a discount the same way father/son and rugby states academies work?
The latter, as far as I am aware.

We get priority access, via the bidding process, in the ND. We can take them with our last "live" selection in the RD, if they survive the ND and PSD. Exactly the same as Ben Jarman.

A quote from the AFL article.
"If the talent is deemed good enough to be picked by a club in their respective draft season, they will be up for grabs under the points-based academy and father-son bidding system on draft night".
I read similar quotes from AFL house in several articles. There was confusion because this year they had a proposed a 1 off rule to allow some of these kids to picked up as Cat B if they were not called in the ND or PSD and they nominated. ie Ports with Emmanuel Irra

Good thread. I hope someone maintains it, will be a useful resource hopefully, I'm keen to see if it can yield us a few players....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely if you were playing against him, you would be demanding his birth certificate, havent we all seen that for those that played junior footy
I remember playing under 16s hockey, and half the other team turned up in their own cars.

Don't know about talent, but he has a decent beard for a 15 year old!

Guy plays for centrals. How do we get first dibs on him. We didnt pluck him from a remote indigenous place and give him an opportunity that he wouldnt have got anyway. AFL have too many inside scams going on. They should scrap all priority access to all clubs. Even father-son has to go. Plenty of sons playing dor different clubs than their fathers and they are doing fine.

Edit: sorry meant to quote Chief Crow

Guy plays for centrals. How do we get first dibs on him. We didnt pluck him from a remote indigenous place and give him an opportunity that he wouldnt have got anyway. AFL have too many inside scams going on. They should scrap all priority access to all clubs. Even father-son has to go. Plenty of sons playing dor different clubs than their fathers and they are doing fine.

No different than all these Cat B rookies that got picked up because they were born overseas, while completely ignoring they'd all been playing footy for years in Australia.

No different than all these Cat B rookies that got picked up because they were born overseas, while completely ignoring they'd all been playing footy for years in Australia.

Exactly my point. They are scams and I hate scams. Just make the rules simple and fair for all and let us all battle it out on even terms.

I agree that he would get the same opportunities if he wasn't in an Academy but I can see why the AFL are doing it with indigenous players. As we continue to see, a few find it hard to adjust and leave the game despite emense talent. Getting them into clubs early may help them prepare.
We are just fortunate that the Milera's are a good family so we get a bonus as he is in our zone.
He looks like he will fill out more then Wayne going on both current body sizes

I agree that he would get the same opportunities if he wasn't in an Academy but I can see why the AFL are doing it with indigenous players. As we continue to see, a few find it hard to adjust and leave the game despite emense talent. Getting them into clubs early may help them prepare.
We are just fortunate that the Milera's are a good family so we get a bonus as he is in our zone.
He looks like he will fill out more then Wayne going on both current body sizes

But is it for simply indigenous players or indigenous players from remote communities or disadvantaged backgrounds. If its for this, then I can see the thinking too. And I fully support it. But if its going to be abused, like everything else the AFL does, then it ends up making some clubs clear winners and others clear losers. I guess I am really hating the unfairness of the north eastern state academies and basically saying that that needs to stop.

The idea of this indigenous academy is actually solid, if its about taking a kid from a disadvantaged situation and responsibly and safely providing him with an opportunity to better his life. That is a great thing. But Wayne went first round and his brother is already playing for centrals. Not sure if he should qualify. But maybe he and Wayne's stories are incredible and against the odds their parents found a way. I dont know.

To me it reminds me of South Africa's Rabada and the "village" comment, in that his village was an exclusive private school and his father was a renowned surgeon or something.

But is it for simply indigenous players or indigenous players from remote communities or disadvantaged backgrounds. If its for this, then I can see the thinking too. And I fully support it. But if its going to be abused, like everything else the AFL does, then it ends up making some clubs clear winners and others clear losers. I guess I am really hating the unfairness of the north eastern state academies and basically saying that that needs to stop.

The idea of this indigenous academy is actually solid, if its about taking a kid from a disadvantaged situation and responsibly and safely providing him with an opportunity to better his life. That is a great thing. But Wayne went first round and his brother is already playing for centrals. Not sure if he should qualify. But maybe he and Wayne's stories are incredible and against the odds their parents found a way. I dont know.

To me it reminds me of South Africa's Rabada and the "village" comment, in that his village was an exclusive private school and his father was a renowned surgeon or something.

Whilst I agree that clubs can take advantage of it, I don't see an issue as all clubs now have an Academy like it to develop players from multicultural or indigenous background.
Jarrod Garlett as an example of a player that's not from remote WA, giving up AFL with the suns to return home without a trade.

Whilst I agree that clubs can take advantage of it, I don't see an issue as all clubs now have an Academy like it to develop players from multicultural or indigenous background.
Jarrod Garlett as an example of a player that's not from remote WA, giving up AFL with the suns to return home without a trade.

Yeah. It is actually a good program as I said. Its really the GWS, Sydney, Brisbane and GC academies that I have had enough of. They are giving too much of an advantage to those teams. NSW and Queensland have been exposed to footy for long enough and had enough success. Its time to let nature take its course. They both have massive indigenous populations as well as larger multicultural populations as well. No more free hits at guys like Callum Mills.

Unfortunately our club is not really interested in expanding their contacts into rural SA - I work with Aboriginal kids and in a traditional Port part of SA, they {Port} are so much better at promoting their brand here and in surrounding districts. I wanted to take a group of young lads many related to current players to the AFC to give them an alternative view and choice I sent AFC numerous emails asking to visit and give the lads a tour etc I still have not received a reply {that was two years ago}. Late last year I emailed AFC regarding a Reconciliation SA trip to Kokoda for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal students which we are attending asking for support yet again not even a reply, unfortunately as hard as it is Port are so much better , no doubt we will gain support and sponsorship from Port which is a bit sad.

Unfortunately our club is not really interested in expanding their contacts into rural SA - I work with Aboriginal kids and in a traditional Port part of SA, they {Port} are so much better at promoting their brand here and in surrounding districts. I wanted to take a group of young lads many related to current players to the AFC to give them an alternative view and choice I sent AFC numerous emails asking to visit and give the lads a tour etc I still have not received a reply {that was two years ago}. Late last year I emailed AFC regarding a Reconciliation SA trip to Kokoda for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal students which we are attending asking for support yet again not even a reply, unfortunately as hard as it is Port are so much better , no doubt we will gain support and sponsorship from Port which is a bit sad.
Stuff like this shows our club still has a way to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back