Women's Footy Brisbane Lions Women's Team - Official Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

couldn't they put up some temporary grand stands? seems to work at a few sporting events eg. the gold coast street racing and the motocross club in my area do it once a year, holds a few thousand.

with the AFLW grand final coinciding with the first round of the AFL (and the men being away to the suns that week) will the gabba be available if we win hosting rights?

i noticed looking at the AFLW draw that it jumps from round 7 march 18-19 to the grand final march 25, does that mean semis are mid week or it is a straight top 2 GF with the minor premiers hosting? or is the GF in melbourne no matter what, what if it is say lions v crows GF? you would think the gabba or adelaide oval would be much better options.

Last edited:
couldn't they put up some temporary grand stands? seems to work at a few sporting events eg. the gold coast street racing and the motocross club in my area do it once a year, holds a few thousand.

I assume you need those kinds of structures approved and signed off for in a WH&S sense. Bit late for that perhaps.

Why not play it at Burpingary doesn't that hold like 10k and didn't they build a train line up to that area so transport is no longer an issue?

I assume you need those kinds of structures approved and signed off for in a WH&S sense. Bit late for that perhaps.
Yeah it would be the permits that would hold that aspect up. I actually work in WHS and you'd be surprised how quickly that type of thing could get pushed through (as long as it is all built in compliance with AS/NZS and an accredited/licenced provider and installer is used. It tends to be permits/Local/State Govt approval etc that takes the time to process.

Why not play it at Burpingary doesn't that hold like 10k and didn't they build a train line up to that area so transport is no longer an issue?
Because it is burpengary, not even in brisbane, might as well play at Carrara.

I just hope no one dies in this heat and the likely standing room only space. It will be awfully hot there. Whoever organised this needs to actually get down there and see it first hand ffs.
They probably did, and were probably given some sort of estimated attendance number to work with when making the decision. It is becoming abundantly clear that the game is far more popular (at least at this early stage) then anyone anticipated. Had they have known I have no doubt it would have been a different venue.

Yeah it would be the permits that would hold that aspect up. I actually work in WHS and you'd be surprised how quickly that type of thing could get pushed through (as long as it is all built in compliance with AS/NZS and an accredited/licenced provider and installer is used. It tends to be permits/Local/State Govt approval etc that takes the time to process.
and the backhanders, dont forget the backhanders.

After the high interest in the early rounds, we will look like a very slow moving club if they shut the gates an hour before the match starts on Saturday.

More to the point, if it is a lock out, they will need to have positive news of a new ground for the remaining home games sorted by the end of the weekend.

Train line went to Redcliffe Peninsular from Petrie station. Public transport for the North side is a joke. Burpengary ground has nothing not even buses I think given its more or less adjacent to the Bruce highway and bushland. It really isn't near anything that requires public transport.

After the high interest in the early rounds, we will look like a very slow moving club if they shut the gates an hour before the match starts on Saturday.

More to the point, if it is a lock out, they will need to have positive news of a new ground for the remaining home games sorted by the end of the weekend.
I saw on facebook some people are coming from all over Australia. Imagine getting locked out... I'd be absolutely livid.

This is kind of like watching as a train crash happen. I sincerely hope it isn't, our team deserves better than that, but the plethora of young girls and other fans who will be showing up to the game deserve better than that.

I can only speak anecdotally but the sign on numbers for girl junior footy seem to be going through the roof, as well as a girls league in (private) schools starting. This is not the time to stuff up something so simple as accommodating everybody into the ground.

Last edited:
Train line went to Redcliffe Peninsular from Petrie station. Public transport for the North side is a joke. Burpengary ground has nothing not even buses I think given its more or less adjacent to the Bruce highway and bushland. It really isn't near anything that requires public transport.
Maybe me Brisbane Geography isn't great but isn't Redcliffe right next to Burpingary and how many does Burpingary hold?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least there are plenty of train stations in the area to run bus services from, Caboolture, Petrie and North Lakes, with the highway making vehicle access much easier.

South Pine, much like Eaton's Hill Hotel, is in the middle of nowhere, and a complete pain to try and get to by public transport, and isn't even highway adjacent if bus services are acquired for the day.

Either way, it certainly highlights the lack of a suitable venue near the CBD.

I'm a little surprised that the club hasn't (so far) mentioned putting on any bus services from train stations or other hubs to try and get people to the ground (for example, the way the Suns do from Nerang to Metricon)

I'm a little surprised that the club hasn't (so far) mentioned putting on any bus services from train stations or other hubs to try and get people to the ground (for example, the way the Suns do from Nerang to Metricon)

The local stations may not have the ability to deal with heavy traffic. Strathpine and Bald Hills would be the closest. Strathpine may be able to take a few buses at a pinch.

Carseldine station is the closest station with the ability to move multiple buses through. Having said that, unlike Burpengary with the highway, it is heavy traffic or back roads from there to Brendale.

Yeah, Carseldine and Arana Hills were probably the two that occurred to me, but you're right that the access from there is pretty horrible. Not really much better than putting on courtesy buses from the city.

I think they're now wanting to turn people off going, not make it easier.

When you think about it, how ****ed is that? We have a struggling club that people want to support but are being discouraged to do so. We're trying to expand the game in Queensland and people won't be able to get in the ground. We have a new league that we're applying a handbrake to it being properly established. We're showing piss poor support for the growth of an elite women's sporting comp, when there is research which indicates that it will have positive impacts on public health and wellbeing.

Talk about an own goal.

I think they're now wanting to turn people off going, not make it easier.

When you think about it, how ****** is that? We have a struggling club that people want to support but are being discouraged to do so. We're trying to expand the game in Queensland and people won't be able to get in the ground. We have a new league that we're applying a handbrake to it being properly established. We're showing piss poor support for the growth of an elite women's sporting comp, when there is research which indicates that it will have positive impacts on public health and wellbeing.

Talk about an own goal.

Well said.

Swann came very close to saying 'don't bother showing up'.

Why do we continue to stuff things up its infuriating. Most positive thing to happen in a while and we don't capitalize, fair dinkum.......
I'm not sure what more the club could do in this instance, there's nowhere suitable to play. They've been trying for years to get something built, with assistance from the AFL and the government (no club can do it on their own), and it's largely fallen on deaf ears.

Yeah, seriously doubting that I'll go. Was very keen and super pleased to see these and a few NEAFL games being played out there (15 minutes from home), but the thought of getting there super early and being crammed in to standing room in the sun for 3 hours at this time of the year is not appealing at all.

I'm not sure what more the club could do in this instance, there's nowhere suitable to play. They've been trying for years to get something built, with assistance from the AFL and the government (no club can do it on their own), and it's largely fallen on deaf ears.
I understand that but y is it always us getting things wrong? I am not familiar with what's available up there. By the sounds of it they have got the amount of people that would interested wrong. Surely you over cater not under cater. Just look at the commited lions supporters on here saying they won't be going because the venue is s**t. Annoying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back