Giant Clearance Sale - 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's best 22 at them moment, but really only cemented his spot in the side mid last year from memory.
Yeah but Leon stuck with him there until he grew into the position. Now he has expect him to be there for a while. He always looked like an AFL player but took a while to b find his spot.

I reckon you guys will sign all your guns, they're not stupid they can see that there are premierships in this group. It'll be the younger, highly rated players you might struggle to keep like Hopper and Kennedy but time will tell.

I reckon you guys will sign all your guns, they're not stupid they can see that there are premierships in this group. It'll be the younger, highly rated players you might struggle to keep like Hopper and Kennedy but time will tell.
Those on the fringes will be the targets.

I would class Hopper as best 22 and would hope he goes no where.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Is Adam Treloar stupid? Taylor Adams? Tom Boyd? I agree with you that it will mainly be younger players on the fringes, but even with their starting 22 players, Giants can't afford to play all of them top dollar.

And theres also the possibility that they all actually enjoy playing together and love the club. But yeah, nah that's not the BF narrative....

Usually the media. Stating big money offers then all of a sudden they re-sign with us.

For instance Cameron with Adelaide and Sheil with Richmond.
There was one about Lobb with freo as well.

Where are the reports saying they're taking unders? Post them.

You have google.

You can either believe them or go on the tin foil hat no cap thing. Your choice.

So you make a dubious claim, and when people ask you to prove it, you tell THEM to use google? You're a troll, worthless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you make a dubious claim, and when people ask you to prove it, you tell THEM to use google? You're a troll, worthless.

Cameron was reported to be offered $1.2m a year from Adelaide. He was reported to have re-signed with GWS for $750k-800k.

Shiel was reported to be offered $800k+ from Richmond and maybe others. He was reported to have re-signed with GWS at around the $600k mark.

Treloar got a huge offer from Collingwood for substantially more than GWS offered (allegedly both were around the Shiel figures) and took it.

Patton reportedly had a huge deal on offer from the Dogs. He re-signed with GWS, though details of his contract weren't as widely reported.

Similar reports, though without figures, on Lobb and Smith and probably others that I can't stretch my brain to. If you don't want to believe it, that's your prerogative but it doesn't change the fact of the matter. Resorting to name calling is just sad.

Cameron was reported to be offered $1.2m a year from Adelaide. He was reported to have re-signed with GWS for $750k-800k.

Shiel was reported to be offered $800k+ from Richmond and maybe others. He was reported to have re-signed with GWS at around the $600k mark.

Treloar got a huge offer from Collingwood for substantially more than GWS offered (allegedly both were around the Shiel figures) and took it.

Patton reportedly had a huge deal on offer from the Dogs. He re-signed with GWS, though details of his contract weren't as widely reported.

Similar reports, though without figures, on Lobb and Smith and probably others that I can't stretch my brain to. If you don't want to believe it, that's your prerogative but it doesn't change the fact of the matter. Resorting to name calling is just sad.
You keep saying "reported" without actually citing the reports. That's all I ever asked for, and neither you, not the General Giant troll could provide a single one. Everything you just said has no substance.

Hypothetically, if Shiel were worth somewhere around 700k p/y right now, then 500k would be unders and 1 million would be overs. There is no evidence of any Giants players accepting unders to stay at the club; players like Shiel and Patton may well have only accepting fair offers that met their valuation. In Patton's case, if you did your research, you'll find he tore his ACL while the Dogs offer was on the table.

The reality is, you can only fit so many players on 600-700k+ in the salary cap, and by process of elimination, there will always be one left to take the lesser offer. This is almost certainly what happened with Treloar: he's on record saying he wanted to stay at the Giants and be a part of their success, but as they continued to re-sign their players, he became the last one left, received a significantly better offer from Collingwood, and proceeded to move in the forthcoming trade period.

Hardly.

I typed what i was told. You wanted to question it as you believe the foil hat theories. Not my problem.

Name calling? How sad.

Verify your facts first then. You don't have them.

You keep saying "reported" without actually citing the reports. That's all I ever asked for and neither you, not the General Giant troll could provide a single one. Everything you just said has 0 substance.

Hypothetically, if Shiel were worth somewhere around 700k p/y right now, then 500k would be unders and 1 million would be overs. There is 0 evidence of any players accepting unders to stay at the club; players like Shiel and Patton were only accepting fair offers. In Patton's case, if you did your research, you'll find he tore his ACL while the Dogs offer was on the table.

The reality is, you can only fit so many players on 600-700k+ in the salary cap, and by process of elimination, there will always be one left to take the lesser offer. This is almost certainly what happened with Treloar: he's on record saying he wanted to stay at the Giants and be a part of their success, but as they continued to re-sign their players, he became the last one left, received a significantly better offer from Collingwood, and proceeded to move in the forthcoming trade period.

Your choice if you dont believe me.

Dont care really. Its what was reported.

Still name calling? Let me guess. This isnt your 1st account here.

Your choice if you dont believe me.

Dont care really. Its what was reported.

Still name calling? Let me guess. This isnt your 1st account here.

I don't, and you're doing a terrible job trying to justify your position.

It wasn't reported, as you're not even able to cite those reports.

You're a troll because you make crap up.

You keep saying "reported" without actually citing the reports. That's all I ever asked for, and neither you, not the General Giant troll could provide a single one.

I've got some free time now that I can choose to waste on someone.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ad...h/news-story/60d8d9dd1943009088c49b6f647cac38
http://www.foxsports.com.au/breakin...l/news-story/71a2f97856aea74b021bdda0d62568bf
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dyl...n/news-story/0dff3779b565da086bfe0fc72f29e823
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...b/news-story/64b8d94d51ca5b6ec59ac77fee80cc13
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...leave-for-victorian-club-20150723-gij9i3.html

Everything you just said has no substance.

Heh. See above.

Hypothetically, if Shiel were worth somewhere around 700k p/y right now, then 500k would be unders and 1 million would be overs. There is no evidence of any Giants players accepting unders to stay at the club; players like Shiel and Patton may well have only accepting fair offers that met their valuation. In Patton's case, if you did your research, you'll find he tore his ACL while the Dogs offer was on the table.

So your position is that GWS only pays the correct value but all other clubs that offer more to those players would be paying over the odds? That's a very unusual definition compared to every other discussion on this board - the maximum a player would get offered is the best deal, and if he signs for anything else he's signed for under that, or "unders". If you want to re-define that, best to state it up front to avoid any confusion.

Oh and yeah, perfectly aware Patton did his ACL that year. Was watching that game. Devastating.

The reality is, you can only fit so many players on 600-700k+ in the salary cap

Correct.

and by process of elimination, there will always be one left to take the lesser offer.

The lesser offer that is worth more? Or do you mean re-signing with GWS? o_O

This is almost certainly what happened with Treloar: he's on record saying he wanted to stay at the Giants and be a part of their success, but as they continued to re-sign their players, he became the last one left, received a significantly better offer from Collingwood, and proceeded to move in the forthcoming trade period.

Treloar actually had a deal in front of him for similar money to Coniglio and Shiel from very early on that year. All three also had significant larger deals from other clubs put to them. Two decided to re-sign, one didn't. Treloar was the last one left because he chose to be - he wasn't squeezed as a result of that delay, as the same contract was on offer throughout the year. He could've re-signed prior to Shiel if he wanted to take the same offer. I have no idea the links above will persuade you that we actually know what we are talking about, but there's plenty of references to this on the GWS board for starters.

Heh. See above.

You're a funny man, telling others to verify their facts when they actually have them correct. I don't understand why you want to stick your head in the sand for some bizarre reason? We've both been following GWS's progress in re-signing all these players for obvious reasons so actually know what we're talking about.

Feel free to dig up your own alternative facts about how these players weren't offered more.

So yeah, ol mate frosty is being a total ass.
But i think the point he's successfully butchering is that the gws guys are knocking back 'overs' offers and re-signing... sure.
But they're not exactly being charitable and playing for less than they are objectively worth.
Like say how the cats starts re-signed for less money to stay together after their flags... or how luke hodge is playing for 350k this year etc.
THAT is re-signing for unders.
And that definition of 'unders' is not what the giants guys are doing.

So yeah, ol mate frosty is being a total ass.
But i think the point he's successfully butchering is that the gws guys are knocking back 'overs' offers and re-signing... sure.
But they're not exactly being charitable and playing for less than they are objectively worth.
Like say how the cats starts re-signed for less money to stay together after their flags... or how luke hodge is playing for 350k this year etc.
THAT is re-signing for unders.
And that definition of 'unders' is not what the giants guys are doing.
Condescending much?

They are playing for us for less than what they can and would get else where.

Thats unders in every definition of the term.

Condescending much?

They are playing for us for less than what they can and would get else where.

Thats unders in every definition of the term.

Steady on.
I'm playing devil's advocate here trying to make sense of frostys ramblings.
Gws re-signing blokes on money they are objectively worth isn't something you need to get so defensive about

Steady on.
I'm playing devil's advocate here trying to make sense of frostys ramblings.
Gws re-signing blokes on money they are objectively worth isn't something you need to get so defensive about
I think "objectively worth" is the problem. I'm not sure what it means, there are very few definitive facts in contract values that are confidential.
What we do know is Shiel, Cogs and Treloar were offered similar contracts in 2015, because the club said so.
All the the rest is drawing conclusions from speculation and pretty much worthless in my view.
We know who is contracted and who is not at this stage. By the end of the year the picture will be clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back