AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Luke Power
I had Cornes, Power and Brogan, who were great. We had McDonald as well. I thought we had one more hardened veteran who I can't place. Possibly a former Cat.

I had Cornes, Power and Brogan, who were great. We had McDonald as well. I thought we had one more hardened veteran who I can't place. Possibly a former Cat.

Josh Hunt.

It should be remembered that the Giants used the ability to bring in one player from each club without a trade to them into draft picks via trade. We basically used that concession to bank a stack of early picks.
The AFL's intent wasnt for us to have so many draft picks in the first year, that was a strategy used by the Giants.
Picking the 3 youngsters as our marque players (ward, scully and Davis) was unexpected, the Giants opted for success to come in 4 or 5 years.

The expectation was that we would grab a big name (GC went Ablet) and pick up 10ish seasoned afl players and use the pre-selected players (cameron, shiel etc) and a couple early picks to make up our squad.

We went very different strategy and I think the early deciosn makers there (I think it has been credited to Gubby Allen) should be really commended for the foresight on how well they could leverage those concessions into a huge future.

Picking all the hard heads at the beginning was also genius. Power, Cornes, Brogan all showed the kids what it was all about. Those early years when we were getting flogged the kids always tried really hard, and we kept that edge right up until last year and I reckon those hard heads set a culture up front.

You tried to get Buddy if that had come off this would have changed I think the way you did it was the back up system after he went to the Swans. He would have cost something to get out of Hawthorn I think.

You tried to get Buddy if that had come off this would have changed I think the way you did it was the back up system after he went to the Swans. He would have cost something to get out of Hawthorn I think.
Buddy was for our third season

Going to be big players in the draft and trade period again, that 2023 FRP they got of Richmond for Hopper is going to be highly sort after by several clubs I would imagine. Or they could use that and the Himmleberg FA compo pick to try jump up to get another pick in the top 3 of the draft.

The way Richmond and GWS are going they could have two top five picks this season.
It's the only way to get Ashton Moir, Zane Duursma AND Archer Reid, simply genius

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way Richmond and GWS are going they could have two top five picks this season.

Many Clubs are going to come begging GWS for Richmond's FRO this trade period. They could actually land/jag a big name player if they decide to go down that route (although suspect they will keep it)

The F/A compo for Himmelberg will be pretty juicy too, they could potentially have 3 top 10 picks in this year's loaded draft.

Would love to offer Tom De Koning for one of those picks, we have a deal Giants ? :)

Going to be big players in the draft and trade period again, that 2023 FRP they got of Richmond for Hopper is going to be highly sort after by several clubs I would imagine. Or they could use that and the Himmleberg FA compo pick to try jump up to get another pick in the top 3 of the draft.
I imagine they offer something like 3,6,2024r2 for pick 1. They probably agree to 3,6,19 for pick 1. I think only west coast accepts that, Hawthorn will want Reid as they can fill the rest of their list with free agents with all their cap room

If Himmelburg moves as a fa Giants may land another 1st in the top 5.

Feel they will end up 15th so have pick 4.

May hold picks 4, 5 and 8/9.

Wonder how hard they would go for Harley Reid?

Or pick 2?
The way Richmond are going, that pick could be anything. Both our natural pick and Richmond's pick have the potential to be really early or middle of the roundish.

Has he been rumoured to be leaving?
Whitfield isn't worth a top 20 pick at the level he is playing at. If we were going to lose him I would be happy with a second round pick as the big plus for us is getting his money off our books. In saying that I would love to keep him.

That math is wrong.

It would cost you a 1st round pick to get rid of Whitfield's contract. You're not getting one.

It's possibly the worst contract in all of the AFL - another $3m+ payable on a 29 year old with injury issues.
What is his issue. He was very good in 2021 ( e.g. GWS beat Melbourne at MCG, Whitfield had a great game). He is a better winger in my opinion, he can focus on attack more than one on one defence.

Last edited:
What is his issue. He was very good in 2021 ( e.g. GWS beat Melbourne at MCG, Whitfield had a great game). He is a better winger in my opinion, he can focus on attack more than one on one defence.
Right now it feels like he is devoid of confidence and just simply has forgotten how to kick the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back